A question I amost asked but didn't because I figured it out

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!

Answer the question:

Yes, and yes, I noticed the typo and that is the answer.
No votes
No and yes, I didn't notice the typo but that is the answer.
No votes
Yes and no, I did notice the typo, but that is not the answer.
38%
No, and no, I did not notice the typo and that is not the right answer.
63%

Total votes: 8

Giovanni Schwartz

A question I amost asked but didn't because I figured it out

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Yes, the typo in the title was intentional so that all the letters could fit. But here's my question: "In all the movies and suchlike, why do the bad guys always wear gray?" but then I decided that it must be because the Confederates wore gray. Is this the right answer?

P.S. If you didn't even notice the typo in the title, then I must've picked a good word to typo-ify.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I would have preferred that you replace "because" w/ "b/c." :P Sometimes I try to find threads again, and it's nigh unto impossible if someone spells something wrong.
Tao

Post by Tao »

'fraid I didn't notice the typo, but couldn't in all honesty say if your supposition is the correct answer or not. I could see the argument either way. Perhaps once others decide to disagree or defend you, I will have a have a point to advocate devilishly.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: A question I amost asked but didn't because I figured it

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:But here's my question: "In all the movies and suchlike, why do the bad guys always wear gray?" but then I decided that it must be because the Confederates wore gray. Is this the right answer?
Cite examples, please. (Otherwise, it's way too easy to shoot this question down by providing a counterexample.)
Giovanni Schwartz

I wasn't necesarrily saying it was the onlyl answer, but it was the one I thought of. What other answers are possible? I couldn't think of any. Oh, and for those who didn't get what Portia was saying about b/c instead of because, it was because at first I had spelled because bcause, but then I changed it to spelling almost amost.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:I wasn't necesarrily saying it was the onlyl answer, but it was the one I thought of. What other answers are possible? I couldn't think of any. Oh, and for those who didn't get what Portia was saying about b/c instead of because, it was because at first I had spelled because bcause, but then I changed it to spelling almost amost.
No, I mean, can you give me examples of movies where the bad guys wear gray? Because (1) I can think of a lot of movies where the bad guys wear white or black or another color and (2) if I have specific examples to work with, I can see if those specific movies are likely to have been influenced by the Civil War.
Giovanni Schwartz

Star Wars. The Empire goons wear grey. Firefly. The Alliance goons wear gray. (Great show, by the way.)
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Some empire goons wear grey in Star wars. Other wear black (fighter pilots, among others, such as the guy behind Darth Vader), red (imperial guard), white (storm troopers), green/brown (Not sure, but one of those two. See Grand Moff Tarkin.) and so on. I would also point out that grey is a fairly common color for uniforms, though in my opinion it is the minority in Star Wars.

I haven't seen firefly, so I can't comment on that one.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Giovanni Schwartz

Naw, Fred. I'm talking about the guys on the ships that report to Darth Vader. I'm not talking about stormtroopers or any other guys that don't look human.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Well, yeah. But I don't see how you can logically separate them from the rest of the empires "goons." There are obviously a number of "human looking" people who do not wear grey, such as the officer I pointed out that was standing behind Darth Vader, and Grand Moff whats-his-face. I don't have the original three movies with me, so I can't verify it, but it seems like much of the rebellion crew in Episode VI was wearing grey as well. In fact you can see quite a few rebellion members wearing grey uniforms in this video from Episode IV: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZB0NjRqzc

Well, after watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K31BGvIn ... re=related it looks like most of the rebellion crew is wearing a dirty green color, but I would direct your attention to about 5:10 into the video. This scene shows the bridge crew of the super star destroyer. As far as I can tell, they are all wearing either green or black.

In short, I see absolutely no connection, and think that you are illogically constricting your definition of "goon."
Giovanni Schwartz

Okay, how about this: "The people in Star Wars who dress in traditional human military uniforms that are on the side of the Empire wear gray, more often than not."
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Okay, how about this: "The people in Star Wars who dress in traditional human military uniforms that are on the side of the Empire wear gray, more often than not."
it is only these guys though.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Both this and this website claim that villains wear black, which makes sense to me, given the connotations of black in Western culture.

Gray, to me, has the connotation of a "gray area," or a mix of good and evil, so maybe characters whose personalities are also ambiguous might wear gray.

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the Confederacy, unless the film was made or set in 1863.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Okay, how about this: "The people in Star Wars who dress in traditional human military uniforms that are on the side of the Empire wear gray, more often than not."
That may be correct, but it doesn't support your original hypothesis.