Sleepwalking

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
TheAnswerIs42

Sleepwalking

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

We think that our son was sleepwalking last night, but I wasn't even sure that 2 year olds can do that. I was going to ask the board, but then I remembered that I know how to use google. Turns out that they can. Who knew?
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

My sister sleepwalked from the time she was little until her mid-teens. We'd go camping and my mom would tie her wrist to something (a bed or someone else) so she couldn't wander off into the forest on her own. Thanks for reminding me. I'm seeing her tonight and I always need things to tease her about.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

LOL. My favorite sleepwalking memory was the time at cheer camp when I drempt that I saw everyone practicing something really difficult in the gym, but kept trying every door down the line and couldn't get in. Then one finally opened. I woke up in someone else's room down the hall from mine, and something tells me I tried every door down the hall until I found some idiot that didn't lock their door at night. Then I went back to my room and found out that it had locked behind me. So, I don't know about tying my wrist down, but I slept with my key saftey-pinned to my shorts from then on.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

Oh man! That's awesome. I'll tease my sister and then assure her "It's okay, Jen, you want to hear a really funny story?" (She went to cheer camp, too...maybe there's a connection).

What did your son do when he was sleepwalking? Anything funny or just general wandering around?
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

I knew a little boy about 2 years old who would sleep walk. His parents found him across the road asleep in a ditch one night. That was a bit scary for them. Often times little kids get very upset when they wake up in another place, and it's unsafe anyway, so it's best to gently restrain them.
- Benvolio
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yeah, the biggest thing all the websites mentioned was baby-proofing things if it happens often. He doesn't know how to open doors yet, so that's ok, but he could fall down the stairs by his room, so we might need to work on that. Finding him outside would be terrifying!

He didn't do anything too strange, but it was just a little off from the usual. Normally he comes into our room if he wakes up in the night. I typically wake up with his face a few inches from mine at that point. But last night I heard him get out of bed and run a little ways, but then he didn't come in. I sat up and could see him pacing around in the hallway. I figured that I would let that run its course and see what he did. But 15 min later he was still out there, and I couldn't sleep until I knew he was back in bed, so I went to him and called his name. He kinda walked toward me then, but not really, and the part that made me think sleepwalking was that when I picked him up he acted like he was still trying to keep walking instead of curling up in my arms. He woke up at that point I think. Does that sound like sleepwalking to you? The poor guy was pacing right under the swamp cooler, so he was pretty cold by the time I got him.

And to add to my story, I was actually locked out for hours. I tried to wake up my roomie, but she only wakes up when shaken hard. So I woke up my leader, who then discovered she had keys to every room but mine. So then the two of us kept pounding on the door until roomie finally woke up.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Sleepwalking--I hated having stories about me told, and they are STILL retold at family reunions and such :(

The best story about me sleepwalking would be when I was like 8, a friend and I had planned to sneak out in the middle of the night and meet in her backyard (she lived less than a block away). We planned and planned, and it came to pass that it was the night in question. I tried to stay up until 10 pm, the time we had decided to sneak out... but I fell asleep.

Later that night my dad heard someone breaking into the house, opening the door repeatedly (so they got the normal lock and the deadbolt undone) but unable to get past the chain. He came down the stares yelling at the person, and they seemed to cease... he turned on the lights downstairs, and found a crying 8 year old, who had been sleepwalking (he had woken me up, and I was very confused and scared because I was being yelled at)

And the best story about my lil brother is one I promised not to tell in front of anyone he knows, but since you guys don't know him...

He was sleepwalking around age 2 to 3, and my mom had already experienced my walking enough to just follow him/leave him alone... he walked down the stairs, climbed on the couch, stood up on it, and steadily removed all of his clothing except his diaper. My mom started calling his name once he was naked, but he didn't respond. He started trying to jump on the couch, but that wasn't really working, and after a couple minutes, he laid down on the couch and fell asleep.
Portia

Post by Portia »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:LOL. My favorite sleepwalking memory was the time at cheer camp when I drempt that I saw everyone practicing something really difficult in the gym, but kept trying every door down the line and couldn't get in. Then one finally opened. I woke up in someone else's room down the hall from mine, and something tells me I tried every door down the hall until I found some idiot that didn't lock their door at night. Then I went back to my room and found out that it had locked behind me. So, I don't know about tying my wrist down, but I slept with my key saftey-pinned to my shorts from then on.
I watched an hour of a cheer camp (my sister's) today. It was an interesting/amusing experience, since BYU was the first school I've gone to that even has a cheerleading squad.
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

It's not uncommon for little boys who sleepwalk to urinate on the wall because in their sleep they think they have walked into the bathroom. I had a friend who did lots of embarrassing things like that in his sleep. It didn't seem to have traumatized him too much, even though he still gets razzed about it by his brothers.
- Benvolio
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

So I discovered my roommate asleep in the living room. Upon asking why he was there, it turns out that apart from being out there because he was on call, he was also woken up twice by me talking in my sleep, and also apparently typing in my sleep. I don't recall it, but my roommate says that I was typing in my sleep. I can only hope I didn't have the sense to turn on the computer. But if I ever do, please realize that unless it is near finals, that any inane or gibberish I may post in the early hours of the morning will be a result of my unconscience state.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:But if I ever do, please realize that unless it is near finals, that any inane or gibberish I may post in the early hours of the morning will be a result of my unconscience state.
LOL!!!
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:So I discovered my roommate asleep in the living room.
This is an amazingly common occurrence in my apartment. I have one roommate who seems to spend more time sleeping on the couch than on his bed.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Fredjikrang wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:So I discovered my roommate asleep in the living room.
This is an amazingly common occurrence in my apartment. I have one roommate who seems to spend more time sleeping on the couch than on his bed.
I've been sleeping on the couch lately, but that's because I've been too scared to go down to my room. : (
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:
I've been sleeping on the couch lately, but that's because I've been too scared to go down to my room. : (
What's going on in your room?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

the couches in wyview were A LOT more comfortable than the beds.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:
What's going on in your room?
Um... I was reading ghost stories a week ago, and since then I've had trouble sleeping.

Yeah, I'm pathetic. : D
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

bobtheenchantedone wrote: Um... I was reading ghost stories a week ago, and since then I've had trouble sleeping.

Yeah, I'm pathetic. : D
Hey, that's ok, nothing pathetic about that. In fact there is a constant beeping sound at my families house that we haven't been able to disable where I sleep.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I think I'm getting better now. I fell asleep last night by myself with no lights or movies or music. Yay!

(I still think I'm pathetic. : D)