47802 - "What is the point of the 100 Hour Board?"

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

47802 - "What is the point of the 100 Hour Board?"

Post by Portia »

So, readers, what keeps you coming back to the Board? What do you see as the point of the Board? Because writers have their own views of things, but ultimately, the Board is a service. Do you think answering questions or representing BYU has the higher priority?

(Also, as a side note, it baffles me why someone would waste time reading something they can't stand . . . wouldn't there be more productive uses of one's time?)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

First of all, that question made me laugh.

Secondly, there are many many many things that I have learned, through my questions or others', that I would not know if I didn't read the Board/the Board didn't exist. I've found answers to questions I've long wondered about and discovered interests I didn't know I had.

Also, as we talked about on another thread, the Board is something of a social device. It creates lasting friendships (occasionally even eternal ones) between people who may not have met otherwise.

And that mindset baffles me too. If you aren't getting graded on it, why are you reading something you hate?
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.

Post by 361 »

bobtheenchantedone wrote: And that mindset baffles me too. If you aren't getting graded on it, why are you reading something you hate?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/masochist
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

361 wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote: And that mindset baffles me too. If you aren't getting graded on it, why are you reading something you hate?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/masochist
Oh, you're funny, mate.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

I actually learn a lot of things when reading the Board, so I am glad for that. I also enjoy reading the writers opinions in regards to current events, such as politics. Plus, it is funny as well. It isn't just the things said, but also small things like the 100 Monkeys and their re-education CATS.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I mostly read for the question/answer thing. And it's often not the questions I have, but the questions about all sorts of random things. One of the things that makes it different from places like the yahoo answers is the open discussion of LDS religion/cultural topics. You know the basic moral code and beliefs of the board writers. And the context of where they live and their current stage of life. You know the culture they are immersed in. You know that they aren't at the peak of their careers. You know that they aren't grandparents. You know that they're surrounded by their peers in a very Utah Mormon cultural area. I enjoy the insight into the psyche as well.

As for representing BYU? Uh, no? If that were the case, the writers would be faculty/staff and not students.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

i havent read in months. i have had my answers to questions posted though.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

The point of the 100 Hour Board is to teach patience. Anything else is an added bonus.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

I read it as I wake up in the mornings.

It helps my mind adjust.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.