47615 - omniscience vs agency

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Katya wrote:If there isn't more than one possible outcome in a situation, there isn't really a choice. Do you agree with me so far?
If there is only one possible outcome, is it because God can see what we will choose to arrive at that outcome, or is it because everything we do has already been set in stone and we're following the dictates of destiny? And, to us, is there a difference?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Katya wrote:If there isn't more than one possible outcome in a situation, there isn't really a choice. Do you agree with me so far?
If there is only one possible outcome, is it because God can see what we will choose to arrive at that outcome, or is it because everything we do has already been set in stone and we're following the dictates of destiny? And, to us, is there a difference?
Well, I'm not even talking about God yet. I'm just saying that one outcome is not a choice. Do you agree with that?
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Katya wrote: Well, I'm not even talking about God yet. I'm just saying that one outcome is not a choice. Do you agree with that?
If there is no possible outcome but one, then yes I agree.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I'm not sure that I do.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

What I mean is if we are forced to that one possible outcome, if we cannot change anything, like a mouse in a maze looking for cheese, then that is no choice.

However, if we merely take a look a look at the end result, the final outcome, we miss all the choices taken to get there.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:However, if we merely take a look a look at the end result, the final outcome, we miss all the choices taken to get there.
Sure. There's always one outcome for all events, and that doesn't mean there was only one choice. I'm just saying, if there's only one outcome possible, there's not really a choice. (Like a multiple-choice test with only one answer per question.)

What are your objections, Fred?
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I'm not sure that there only being one result means that there is no ability to choose. Seems to me that free will exists even in situations where there is only one choice, or only one result.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:I'm not sure that there only being one result means that there is no ability to choose. Seems to me that free will exists even in situations where there is only one choice, or only one result.
So you think that bowling balls, dropped from a second storey window, choose to crash to the ground?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Katya wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:However, if we merely take a look a look at the end result, the final outcome, we miss all the choices taken to get there.
Sure. There's always one outcome for all events, and that doesn't mean there was only one choice. I'm just saying, if there's only one outcome possible, there's not really a choice. (Like a multiple-choice test with only one answer per question.)

What are your objections, Fred?
I'd like to add a little to what I believe is Nanti-SARRMM's thought. The idea that there is only one, or more than one outcome possible depends on where you are in time.

I'm thinking of a little trick used by some teachers of probability. I know you are good at probability, Katya, so you may have heard this one. A teacher puts 100 red marbles in a jar, 100 green marbles in the jar, and 100 blue marbles in the jar. He mixes the marbles in the jar so they are uniformly distributed. Then, without looking into the jar, he reaches in and pulls out a red marble, and shows it to the class. He then asks the class, "What are the odds that this is a red marble?"

Someone, a little too eager to answer, says, "One in three!"

The teacher smiles. "No, the chances are 100 percent that this is a red marble, because I've already pulled out the marble and seen that it is red. Before anyone looked at the end result we could say that the chances were one in three that the marble might be red, but once we know the result the chances are 100 percent that it is what it is. When you already know the outcome there is only one possible outcome, but before we knew the outcome there were three possible outcomes."

As a thought, if time is not measured to God, and He sees the end from the beginning, then God knows what marble will be taken out of the jar in the same way the teacher knew what marble he had already taken out of the jar by looking at it. The teacher was free to take out any one of three colors. God did not make him take out the red marble. God only knew in advance it would be red, because he had the advantage of having seen the future as though it were already the past and therefore unchangeable.

Reality is more complex, I know, but it is just a thought.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Katya wrote: So you think that bowling balls, dropped from a second storey window, choose to crash to the ground?
Of course not, bowling balls don't have free will, period. Much like they can't see, or hear. It is simply not part of their makeup.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Thanks vb, I see your point and I get that perception of reality fixes it (in a Schroedinger-ian way). But what if you only had one red marble and I told you to pick a marble. Would you say that you had a choice, in terms of which marble to pick?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:
Katya wrote: So you think that bowling balls, dropped from a second storey window, choose to crash to the ground?
Of course not, bowling balls don't have free will, period. Much like they can't see, or hear. It is simply not part of their makeup.
How do you know a priori what has free will and what doesn't? (In my mind, it has to do with determinism.)
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

And why should I have to know it a priori? That seems like an unreasonable demand considering that all that can really be known a priori are tautalogies.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Well, it seemed like you'd already determined, ahead of time, that a bowling ball has no free will. So I'm wondering how you know that, if not through observation or trial and error. (Or, by extension, how would you determine if a newly encountered thing had free will?)
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Nope. I've determined that through personal and shared experience, and would suggest that is the only way to know.
Tao

Post by Tao »

[quote=Katya]So you think that bowling balls, dropped from a second storey window, choose to crash to the ground?[/quote]

Oy vey; enter Skousen... that might be quite the tangential discussion in and of itself.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Katya wrote:Thanks vb, I see your point and I get that perception of reality fixes it (in a Schroedinger-ian way). But what if you only had one red marble and I told you to pick a marble. Would you say that you had a choice, in terms of which marble to pick?
To play along with you, if the only marble to pick was red, and I picked a marble, it would be red. It would seem that I had no choice.

To give myself some logical wiggle room I could say that I also have the choice of not picking a marble at all. Or I could choose to go out and get other marbles, and give myself more choices. Or divine intervention could miraculously change the color of the marble at any time, thus negating any choice I made.

I can forsee many possible directions you could choose to take this discussion, which are available to you at this moment in time, but which will be lost when the outcome has been reached. Not knowing the future I'm eager to find out where you are going with it.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Tao wrote:
Katya wrote:So you think that bowling balls, dropped from a second storey window, choose to crash to the ground?
Oy vey; enter Skousen... that might be quite the tangential discussion in and of itself.
Or, Orson Pratt.

Post by 361 »

Katya wrote:Thanks vb, I see your point and I get that perception of reality fixes it (in a Schroedinger-ian way). But what if you only had one red marble and I told you to pick a marble. Would you say that you had a choice, in terms of which marble to pick?
I would say that I would pick up the marble.

I would also say that no matter how many times you "rewind" and play that scene over again my decision would ALWAYS be to pick up the marble.

(provided you erase my memory of the previous marble picking up experience)

Like... The Monday October 27th 2008 6:41pm version of Orb360 (with experiences up to that point, but not past) would make the same decision concerning the marble no matter how many times you put that version of Orb360 in the same situation.

If I had to relive my life with the same experiences and with no memory of my past "life" I would make the same exact mistakes as I already have.

Do you get what I'm trying to say?

However... Previous events could affect future decisions. The fact that God knows what decision the "Monday October 27th 2008 6:41pm version of Orb360" would make means He ALSO knows who the "Monday October 27th 2008 6:42pm version of Orb360" would be and what decisions he would make... And so forth and so on as far out as he would like to look.

Think of it like Pi... No one knows what the next digit of Pi is... But we can find out if we apply the function that describes Pi... So if you know the function... You can know Pi as far out as you want to look.

Similarly... if you know the "Orb360 function" then you know how Orb360 would act in any given situation.

Now each function interacts with all the other functions in an infinitely complex pattern... Infinite complexity means it cannot be understood or predicted, unless you have an infinite mind.

Anyways... My 2 cents (or 5 bucks?)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:Nope. I've determined that through personal and shared experience, and would suggest that is the only way to know.
OK, so what are the clues that tell you that some things have free will and some don't? What is the evidence you look for, one way or the other. I'm arguing that a deterministic predictability of response is a good indicator that something doesn't have free will. Do you agree? Do you have another methodology?