Vorpal's reveal

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

vorpal blade wrote:
Werf_Must wrote:One problem is that whole law school=serious student loans, so if I did go, I would not be able to become a stay at home mom, at least not for several years
One of my daughters became a lawyer, but the rest of my children turned out okay.
Silly! At the very least she can give you a hand when you get yourself in trouble :P
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Werf_Must wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:
Werf_Must wrote:One problem is that whole law school=serious student loans, so if I did go, I would not be able to become a stay at home mom, at least not for several years
One of my daughters became a lawyer, but the rest of my children turned out okay.
Silly! At the very least she can give you a hand when you get yourself in trouble :P
Good point!

Seriously, she's a very good person, and I'm happy she became a lawyer.

She also was concerned about getting into so much debt that she would be forced to spend 80-100 hours a week as a high power lawyer and have no time for a family, or bring a big debt to the marriage. So, she turned down going to Harvard Law School. She got a really good scholarship at another fine school, and when she graduated she had no debt at all. In fact, she had money enough left over to buy a car.

She is still looking for the right man to marry.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Woah 0_o now if I could pull something like that off, I would love it!

However, I bet it is harder to date because A) You intimidate guys when you say your a lawyer B) they employ all the lawyer stereotypes and C) some guys are probably intimidated by a girl who has had more schooling than they have...
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Not to mention her age as well...
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Hm. Just because she's already a lawyer doesn't mean she's necessarily that old, my Nanti friend. She could very well still be in her 20's- and depending on where you are, there are a surprising number of YSA in their late 20's. This seems to be hard for most BYU students to wrap their heads around.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

Yeah, but there are plenty of single guys her age :)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Wisteria wrote:Hm. Just because she's already a lawyer doesn't mean she's necessarily that old, my Nanti friend. She could very well still be in her 20's- and depending on where you are, there are a surprising number of YSA in their late 20's. This seems to be hard for most BYU students to wrap their heads around.
You're right, it all depends. She could be in her late twenties, which wouldn't be a problem at all.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Werf_Must wrote:Woah 0_o now if I could pull something like that off, I would love it!

However, I bet it is harder to date because A) You intimidate guys when you say your a lawyer B) they employ all the lawyer stereotypes and C) some guys are probably intimidated by a girl who has had more schooling than they have...
She does very well on tests. Going into college she scored 1600 on the SAT. She graduated from BYU, in a "hard science," summa cum laude. She did very well on the LSAT. So, yeah, you might expect she would get a scholarship to law school. I don't know how that compares with your academic record, Werf_Must.

I'm pretty sure she does intimate many guys. What can I say, guys today generally seem to be idiots, and easily intimidated. And guys tend to assume things about lawyers, like she must be wedded to her career, which is not the case. A kind, decent, LDS guy who had at least half a brain would stand a chance with her. I think her biggest problem with guys is that she doesn't know how to flirt. (Was that TMI?)

She graduated from law school at the age of 25. She is 27 now.

Post by 361 »

vorpal blade wrote:Was that TMI?
Nah... Although your daughter might be mortified if she knew... LOL
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

361 wrote:
Dang! I did it again.

Post by 361 »

vorpal blade wrote:
361 wrote:
Dang! I did it again.
Hey... Parents are _supposed_ to embarrass their kids... I know I look forward to embarrassing mine...

Although with her being a lawyer and all you might have more to worry about... She might file a lawsuit over privacy and all that... (Though I'm not familiar with privacy laws... O_o)

^_^
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Thanks, 361. I feel better now. I guess.

I think I need a legal disclaimer:

This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein, do not necessarily reflect the beliefs or policies of my wife, my children, or any of their families.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

vorpal blade wrote: This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein, do not necessarily reflect the beliefs or policies of my wife, my children, or any of their families.
Nor do the opinions and statements of this site reflect my sanity, or lack thereof.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Hey, Nanti-SARRMM, maybe I should add that disclaimer as well.

I just realized that my daughter couldn't sue me for saying she lacks flirting skills, she recently mentioned it herself in her blog. So, it's already out there in the public domain. [Besides, she's too nice to sue me.]
Portia

Post by Portia »

vorpal blade wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Just how old are you?
I was wondering if you would think I was joking about my daughter being a lawyer. Actually, that part was true.

I'll be 62 in less than a month.

Thanks for asking.
Woah. All along, I feel like I ought to have been more deferential to your experience. I'm sort of old-school that way. Here I am, picturing some cheeky 23-year-old! For shame.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Werf_Must wrote:Woah 0_o now if I could pull something like that off, I would love it!

However, I bet it is harder to date because A) You intimidate guys when you say you're a lawyer B) they employ all the lawyer stereotypes and C) some guys are probably intimidated by a girl who has had more schooling than they have...
My theory is to give those guys a figurative slap upside the head. SRSLY--especially if you're put back two years in your education because of a mission, how could a well-educated woman be a turn-off?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Portia wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Just how old are you?
I was wondering if you would think I was joking about my daughter being a lawyer. Actually, that part was true.

I'll be 62 in less than a month.

Thanks for asking.
Woah. All along, I feel like I ought to have been more deferential to your experience. I'm sort of old-school that way. Here I am, picturing some cheeky 23-year-old! For shame.
Being older has advantages and disadvantages in a conversation. Several times I've chuckled when I've read bismark's description of himself as "Old Man." My oldest daughter is 34 years old. I suspect she is older than bismark. When you are older there is always the danger of being out of touch with the younger generation, or even with the times. Thank you for being deferential to older folks. It has been a long time since I've been a cheeky 23-year-old, but the funny thing about growing older is that you don't feel much older inside. Mostly it's only on the outside.

My father used to argue from the point of view that he was much older and wiser than me. I used to resent that, and I wouldn't like to do the same to anyone else. Being older doesn't make me right. Of course, it often turned out that my father was right, but ....

Several times I thought about mentioning the fact that I have seven children (but only two grandchildren). All seven of my children have gone to BYU. Three of them (plus a daughter-in-law) are still there. My three boys are married, two of them married BYU students. My wife and I graduated from BYU. My parents went to BYU. I also spent two years studying at the U. of U., and three years of classes at U. of A. I have a bachelor's and master's degree in mathematics, a master's degree in electrical engineering, and a Ph.D. in optics. I'm kind of a research laser jock. I served a two and a half year mission to Italy, and I've got about 35 years of church leadership experience. I know, you would have never guessed it.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

I bow to you and tip my top hat to you.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

That is amazing. How did you find the board?
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I have to admit that I was surprised. :D

(Next time your kids make some comment about you not being cool though, you'll have something to give them as an example. Though they are probably past that stage. ;D )
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]