#49161 - Men who shave their legs

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#49161 - Men who shave their legs

Post by vorpal blade »

Despite what Foreman says, I think men who shave their legs are just weird. I can sort of understand it for swimmers who want to increase their speed, or for those ridiculous body builders who spread grease all over their bodies for some strange reason. But for other men, what's the problem? Don't they like being men?

By the way, after a year or so living in Italy, hairy legs on women no longer looked unattractive.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Wow, shaving your legs means you have lost your manhood? Or our manhood is based solely on the amount of hair that we have? That is just sad...

I have a very good friend who does track at USU who shaves his legs from time to time, and he's lost nothing from it. He did in the MTC as well.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I'm with Vorpal. Shaving your legs is considered a female thing in our society, therefore, guys who do so seem less macho. But then again, some "gangsta" types wear earrings and necklaces, and other guys wear their hair in a long ponytail. To each their own.
none of that is attractive to me.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I, for one, couldn't care less whether or not a man shaves his legs. If he wants to go through the hassle, great! If he doesn't, great!

BTW girls, I don't care if you shave your legs or not either.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I've honestly never understood why it is unattractive for women to have leg hair. I'm a swimmer, so I shave my legs because of that, but if I'm not swimming for a while, I just let it grow. I don't think people even notice.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

It seems odd to me (as in outside of the norm, although maybe it is a higher percent than I realize, since I normally do no go around asking guys if they shave their legs) but it isn't something I would have a problem with a bf doing...
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

vorpal blade wrote:Despite what Foreman says, I think men who shave their legs are just weird. I can sort of understand it for swimmers who want to increase their speed, or for those ridiculous body builders who spread grease all over their bodies for some strange reason. But for other men, what's the problem? Don't they like being men?
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Wow, shaving your legs means you have lost your manhood? Or our manhood is based solely on the amount of hair that we have?
Yes, let us never forget the true measures of manliness... depth of voice; amount of alcohol consumed daily; degree of lewdness towards women; intolerance towards those who are different, especially gays, blacks, and Jews; ability to beat children without leaving telltale bruises; cruelty towards animals; lack of knowledge regarding fashion or art; absence of any emotion outside of rage and lust; insensitivity towards the disadvantaged; number of logs chopped; and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, your amount of body hair.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Foreman wrote: Yes, let us never forget the true measures of manliness... depth of voice; amount of alcohol consumed daily; degree of lewdness towards women; intolerance towards those who are different, especially gays, blacks, and Jews; ability to beat children without leaving telltale bruises; cruelty towards animals; lack of knowledge regarding fashion or art; absence of any emotion outside of rage and lust; insensitivity towards the disadvantaged; number of logs chopped; and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, your amount of body hair.
I only meet the hair requirement. Does that mean I fail at being a man?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Foreman wrote:Yes, let us never forget the true measures of manliness... depth of voice; amount of alcohol consumed daily; degree of lewdness towards women; intolerance towards those who are different, especially gays, blacks, and Jews; ability to beat children without leaving telltale bruises; cruelty towards animals; lack of knowledge regarding fashion or art; absence of any emotion outside of rage and lust; insensitivity towards the disadvantaged; number of logs chopped; and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, your amount of body hair.
Definitely. One must meet all of my subjective conditions to be bestowed with manliness, since it's obviously something determined by an outside source.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Foreman wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Foreman wrote:Yes, let us never forget the true measures of manliness... depth of voice; amount of alcohol consumed daily; degree of lewdness towards women; intolerance towards those who are different, especially gays, blacks, and Jews; ability to beat children without leaving telltale bruises; cruelty towards animals; lack of knowledge regarding fashion or art; absence of any emotion outside of rage and lust; insensitivity towards the disadvantaged; number of logs chopped; and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, your amount of body hair.
Definitely. One must meet all of my subjective conditions to be bestowed with manliness, since it's obviously something determined by an outside source.
I would like to request admission to Foreman's school of manliness please. Also, am I eligible for scholarship for failing at being a man?
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Wow, shaving your legs means you have lost your manhood? Or our manhood is based solely on the amount of hair that we have? That is just sad...

I have a very good friend who does track at USU who shaves his legs from time to time, and he's lost nothing from it. He did in the MTC as well.
I think I'll broaden my rant, just a little.

It seems to me that what our society has experienced in the last fifty years or so, during my lifetime, is a feminization. It starts with female school teachers trying to make rambunctious little boys into prissy little girl-boys. These teachers just don't like noisy, energetic, boisterous boys. When the boys become a little older they claim the boys are ADD, and get them drugged so they act quiet and girlie.

Generally speaking, girls naturally have less hair on their legs than boys. In our society the lack of leg hair has come to mean femininity. In other cultures it doesn't mean that. As a result of the feminization of our society looking manly and hairy has started to become identified with looking primitive, ape-like, and just not feminine or "cultured" enough. So we are starting to see efforts to get men to feel self-conscious of their body hair. When they should be proud of their hair.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Foreman wrote:
vorpal blade wrote:Despite what Foreman says, I think men who shave their legs are just weird. I can sort of understand it for swimmers who want to increase their speed, or for those ridiculous body builders who spread grease all over their bodies for some strange reason. But for other men, what's the problem? Don't they like being men?
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Wow, shaving your legs means you have lost your manhood? Or our manhood is based solely on the amount of hair that we have?
Yes, let us never forget the true measures of manliness... depth of voice; amount of alcohol consumed daily; degree of lewdness towards women; intolerance towards those who are different, especially gays, blacks, and Jews; ability to beat children without leaving telltale bruises; cruelty towards animals; lack of knowledge regarding fashion or art; absence of any emotion outside of rage and lust; insensitivity towards the disadvantaged; number of logs chopped; and, MOST IMPORTANTLY, your amount of body hair.
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. If you can get guys to think that being manly means all the negative things Foreman mentions, and were never really a part of being manly, then you can get them to avoid the true manly qualities and act more like women. It's an old propaganda tactic. Some call it guilt by association. Others call it poisoning the well.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

vorpal blade wrote:
Nanti-SARRMM wrote:Wow, shaving your legs means you have lost your manhood? Or our manhood is based solely on the amount of hair that we have? That is just sad...

It seems to me that what our society has experienced in the last fifty years or so, during my lifetime, is a feminization. It starts with female school teachers trying to make rambunctious little boys into prissy little girl-boys. These teachers just don't like noisy, energetic, boisterous boys. When the boys become a little older they claim the boys are ADD, and get them drugged so they act quiet and girlie.

Generally speaking, girls naturally have less hair on their legs than boys. In our society the lack of leg hair has come to mean femininity. In other cultures it doesn't mean that. As a result of the feminization of our society looking manly and hairy has started to become identified with looking primitive, ape-like, and just not feminine or "cultured" enough. So we are starting to see efforts to get men to feel self-conscious of their body hair. When they should be proud of their hair.
I'm not sure where you're figuring I'm self-conscious or ashamed about anything. It's not even as though I shave my legs often; more like it's something I've done 2-3 times, none of which were even in the last year. I'm not really proud of the veritable forest on my legs, either. Really, I'm essentially neutral about it, because it's apparently something I don't see as vital to my manhood. I'm not ashamed of being uninformed about cars or sports, but I don't wear dresses either. I'm very solidly a man, with all the REAL attendant necessities that involves, and I'm comfortable enough about it to not care about things I think are unimportant or stupid.

Your approach may be an attempt to promote the important virtues of manhood, but it's still one that also promotes a stereotype and serve to alienate those who may be naturally hairless (see also: my upper body). That sort of attitude may actually drive those sorts away, and towards those people who will accept them for whatever arbitrary attribute they may be lacking, which can also result in their further 'feminization.'

In short, my manhood is not yours to determine. Nor is it the domain of anyone but myself. I do what I feel like doing, and so long as I'm keeping the commandments and honoring my priesthood, I'm just as much a man as you.

And as for you, Nanti... first, you should demonstrate your potential to be part of our illustrious group. Go kick some puppies, first, and we'll talk.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

vorpal blade wrote:

Haha...somebody got up on the crotchety old man side of the bed. Thanks for the laugh.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

vorpal blade wrote:
Foreman wrote:
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. If you can get guys to think that being manly means all the negative things Foreman mentions, and were never really a part of being manly, then you can get them to avoid the true manly qualities and act more like women. It's an old propaganda tactic. Some call it guilt by association. Others call it poisoning the well.

wow vorpal, you LOVE social constructions of gender, don't you? girls are NOT generally "quiter" or "prissier." Since you were never a young girl, let me tell you, girls love being loud and getting messy and punching people as much as little boys, but we're usually yelled out of it by the time we enter school (i hadn't been, but that's another ball of wax. let's just say no stupid boys messed with me after getting a punch in the face). boys are usually encouraged in that behavior by their parents. it's not making boys "girlie" to ask them to stay in their seats and do their work. do you know how hard it is to keep a classroom of 20-25 kindergarten aged kids focused on a task when you let "boys be boys"? IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!! in order for education to happen for EVERYONE, you have to keep the kids focused. we can't play all day. we have to work. at some point you're expected to teach them the write their names too. ALL STUDENTS have to learn how to behave in a classroom, and if that makes them "girlie" than i say "AMEN!!!"

and as foreman has pointed out, there are a lot of men who naturally don't grow a lot of hair on their bodies. i think that's very sexy. most of the men i've been attracted to don't have chest hair at all, but they are still manly and sexy. i think massive amounts of body hair shows a disgusting lack of grooming. at least trim! if liking men without body hair means i like "girlie" men than i say "oh well...they've all been amazing people and treated me well."

how much body hair you have doesn't make you a man. your ACTIONS make you a man.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Imogen wrote: how much body hair you have doesn't make you a man. your ACTIONS make you a man.
Now we all knows that thoughts like that are preposterous Imogen, lets keep to the gender roles of the forties, like we should, shall we? :lol:
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Foreman wrote: I'm not sure where you're figuring I'm self-conscious or ashamed about anything. It's not even as though I shave my legs often; more like it's something I've done 2-3 times, none of which were even in the last year. I'm not really proud of the veritable forest on my legs, either. Really, I'm essentially neutral about it, because it's apparently something I don't see as vital to my manhood. I'm not ashamed of being uninformed about cars or sports, but I don't wear dresses either. I'm very solidly a man, with all the REAL attendant necessities that involves, and I'm comfortable enough about it to not care about things I think are unimportant or stupid.

Your approach may be an attempt to promote the important virtues of manhood, but it's still one that also promotes a stereotype and serve to alienate those who may be naturally hairless (see also: my upper body). That sort of attitude may actually drive those sorts away, and towards those people who will accept them for whatever arbitrary attribute they may be lacking, which can also result in their further 'feminization.'

In short, my manhood is not yours to determine. Nor is it the domain of anyone but myself. I do what I feel like doing, and so long as I'm keeping the commandments and honoring my priesthood, I'm just as much a man as you.
It cannot be denied that when a boy progresses into manhood there are usually certain physical changes that occur in his body as the result of testosterone levels, I believe. One of the effects of that is usually a deeper voice and more body hair. I do not say that the amount of body hair you have, or the deepness of your voice is a measure of your manliness. But if he has it, I have to wonder why a man would wish to remove those outward evidences of his manliness.

Have you seen the Will Smith movie "Hitch?" I've been told that it is pretty accurate as a current social commentary. A lot of research went into the movie. Do you remember that guy who had hair taken off his back? My thought at the time was why do some women think there is something wrong with a man looking like a man?

You can go ahead and do what you want, as long as it is not morally wrong. I'll just go ahead and think you as a product of your generation, or just weird.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

vorpal blade wrote: It cannot be denied that when a boy progresses into manhood there are usually certain physical changes that occur in his body as the result of testosterone levels, I believe. One of the effects of that is usually a deeper voice and more body hair. I do not say that the amount of body hair you have, or the deepness of your voice is a measure of your manliness. But if he has it, I have to wonder why a man would wish to remove those outward evidences of his manliness.
You sound like my dad, except that he thinks it's dumb for any one to shave their legs, male or female. Women have hormonal changes that cause body hair to grow as well. If that is why men shouldn't shave, the neither should women.

Now personally it depends on the guy and how much hair. I don't mind hairy legs, but when your leg hair is really long you should do something about it, at least in my opinion. But hairy legs bother me much less than excessively hairy arms. I'm sorry, but I have a hard time being in the same room as someone whose arm hair is three inches long.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Imogen wrote: how much body hair you have doesn't make you a man. your ACTIONS make you a man.
Now we all knows that thoughts like that are preposterous Imogen, lets keep to the gender roles of the forties, like we should, shall we? :lol:
sorry nanti. my bad. i'll get back to the kitchen with my barefoot and pregnant self and keep out of you menfolks talk.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Unit of Energy wrote:I'm sorry, but I have a hard time being in the same room as someone whose arm hair is three inches long.
you're going to hurt Cousin Itt's feelings.