Thermostat settings

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Thermostat settings

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=49310

I guess a few years in Illinois and Maine have toughened me up, because we (my roommate and I) keep our thermostat at a balmy 60 degrees, and last year (when we were in a house with very little insulation) we kept it at 45, only because it wouldn't go any lower. (We used space heaters in our bedrooms at night, because the electricity was cheaper than the oil.)
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Our thermostat is kept at about 65º, which is a perfect winter temperature for me. I can stand up to about 70º without dying (again, during the winter), but I have a hard time sleeping with it that warm.

During the summer, 75º is fine.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Ours is kept at 65 unless mother gets cold, and then we put it up to 68. And my room and the girls' room both have space heaters. And we wander around with blankets on our shoulders. : D
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

I was doing this research paper last quarter for English 101 and I came across an article that talked about how 6 out of 10 middle class people will be keeping their thermostats low this winter in order to save money.

I was surprised, I guess I figure that the once you get into the middle class and start having a good steady job you would most likely have at least enough money to heat your house well during the winter... ENGL 101, way to dash my hopes :P
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I don't understand any of you (o: Mine is at 74 all the time and I still wear sweaters, carry around a blanket and sit in front of the fire (which I'm doing now). I even sleep with a comforter and two heating pads year-round. Let it always be summer in my life.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

You, my friend, are insane. ;D
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Werf_Must wrote:I was doing this research paper last quarter for English 101 and I came across an article that talked about how 6 out of 10 middle class people will be keeping their thermostats low this winter in order to save money.

I was surprised, I guess I figure that the once you get into the middle class and start having a good steady job you would most likely have at least enough money to heat your house well during the winter...
Depending on where you live, heating costs in 2007-2008 were as much as double that of 2005-2006, so that can take a significant chunk out of your paycheck.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I think that money is for spending on things that make you happy. I'd rather be poor than freezing cold all the time.
My thermostat's usually at 72 or 74, and I get to wear tshirts around the apartment. It's so great.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I slept with my window open a couple inches last night. It was perfect. :D
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Fredji, you are the one who is insane. I'm freezing right now, and I was cold all night, and I am not looking forward to going outside in a few minutes because I'm cold... and it's too early to turn up the heat in the house. Blast being up at 4:30. I almost stayed in my pajamas 'cause the house is so cold.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

its -30 degrees here in wisconsin. i did not sleep with the window open.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

It's like 54 here.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

I had to open my window for a while last night *points to the 15 inches of snow on the ground* it was nice!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Honestly, you people. Opening your windows?? I'm cold while sleeping in sweats with a space heater going! YOU ARE ALL INSANE.

Also, I noticed something today - it used to be that the house was at 68 during the night and then at 70 or something during the day, and my mother would still go about in sweaters and such. Now she doesn't seem to mind the cold at 65. How is that possible? Could it be because she's in better shape than she has been in previous years?
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

You'd think that better shape=less fat=less insulation=colder... but perhaps her body is in better shape thus it is able to regulate her body temperature easier?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Well, I don't know about you, but I've found that when given time to adjust to cooler temperatures I don't need as many sweaters or coats. Like a gradual change in the weather I won't notice the difference, but sudden changes I will. And sometimes I just don't wear coats. Like today I'm in flip flops and short sleeves. Because I'm still used to the weather in Utah.
Portia

Post by Portia »

My roommates must have forgot I was still around, because the thermostat was set to 63 degrees-definitely too cold. Between about 68 and 71 is ideal.

But I get to go home in an hour! yay.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

When I saw that it was 9º last night when I went to bed, I decided that maybe I would leave the window shut, just this once. When I saw that the inside of the window had frozen, I realized that I had probably made a good decision. ;D

Seriously though, there was a 1/8" sheet of ice on the inside of my window this morning. Just a couple inches at the bottom, but still. That's pretty impressive for Utah. :D
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I woke up yesterday, and checked the thermostat because I was really cold. It said "59 OFF". Apparently my mother has taken it upon herself not to use the heater this year.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fredjikrang wrote:I slept with my window open a couple inches last night. It was perfect. :D
I hope you're not doing this instead of turning the heat down . . .