#49806 -- girl paying

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Portia

#49806 -- girl paying

Post by Portia »

Link.

I guess one way that I uphold traditional gender roles (not out of any particular convictions: only moochiness), but I almost never pay on dates--less so if we are "official." This question reminded me of George Costanza saying that it's nice to get "at least a reach" for the check. Ha.
Quiet Lamb

Post by Quiet Lamb »

I have to admit, I don't pay on too many occasions either, but generally it feels like I shouldn't really. If I'm not sure if it is a date or not, I have, on many occasions, "reached" in a sense for my purse when it came to pay, but I've never been so forward as to prevent a guy from paying. It's probably a combination of being raised by an army father from Georgia and fear of offending or embarrassing the guy because it looks like I didn't perceive it as a date, and more of just hanging out instead.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I think it's only fair for the girl to pay every once in a while. I mean, if we're for women's suffrage and equal rights and all, why not be for equal paying for dates? Also, I tend to think of "paying for the date" to mean "in charge of the date." I would be kind of annoyed if I had to do whatever the guy wanted to do all the time.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I have planned on paying, at least for myself, every date I've been on. Three times the guy paid, the other times I did. But I believe that who ever does the asking should expect to do the paying. And I've done the asking every date I've been on. But I'm not in a financial situation where I feel like I should argue. If the guy wants to pay I'll let him. And if he asks me I expect him to pay.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

That's a good philosophy.
Quiet Lamb

Post by Quiet Lamb »

Oops, well, I didn't think of the dates in which I've asked out the guy. Those I definitely pay. It'd be rude otherwise.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

I agree that the person who asks should pay. In my (somewhat limited) dating experience, once you're actually dating someone, usually you end up both planning dates (and thus take turns paying for them).
Olympus

Post by Olympus »

Most of the dates I've asked, the guy still insisted on paying. Even when I try.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

i just don't date. everyone wins.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

bismark wrote:i just don't date. everyone wins.
Ouch. That's a bit harsh don't you think?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bismark wrote:i just don't date. everyone wins.
Hear hear! :D