Have you ever taken a class

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Werf_Must

Have you ever taken a class

Post by Werf_Must »

Where you feel like your grade is completely out of your control (for example the class is 100% tests and the tests are impossibly hard and based on obscure facts from the book) or just that they don't return any work or provide a way to check your grades as you go along in the semester?
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Re: Have you ever taken a class

Post by yellow m&m »

Werf_Must wrote:Where you feel like your grade is completely out of your control (for example the class is 100% tests and the tests are impossibly hard and based on obscure facts from the book) or just that they don't return any work or provide a way to check your grades as you go along in the semester?
I just failed that class.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Aww man... I was looking forward to answering the question "Have you ever had a class". But I have had one of those. It was known as A.P. History.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My D&C class is like that. There are two ways to earn points: being in class having done the reading, and the two tests.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Anyone can get a good grade in any class if they try hard enough.
Call me an idealist if you want!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Darth Fedora wrote:Anyone can get a good grade in any class if they try hard enough.
Agreed. I have yet to tackle a class that felt that out of control. Grades are often reflections of time dedicated, which is why I loathe the thought of ever landing a 4.0.
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

Anyone can get a good grade in any class if they try hard enough.
I thought that, too. Then I did a semester of student teaching. And had a student that I honestly wasn't sure could pass my class, no matter how hard she worked at the material. I'm thinking that I'd have to add the word almost before anyone.
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

Darth Fedora wrote:Anyone can get a good grade in any class if they try hard enough.
In order for me to get a good grade in that class, I would have had to study 10+ hours for EACH TEST.
So, I suppose that falls under try hard enough. But, I wasn't willing to kill myself for that class.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

That's a recipe for making a perfectionist miserable.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I have had individual assignments where the grading seemed arbitrary, but most my grades (excellent and horrible), I've earned.

One exception I can think of was a rather bad grade because my professor opted not to read my final paper. It was submitted a few hours late (maybe . . . she kept changing the deadline), but well before the grade submission deadline. I talked to the dept. chair, and obtained the grade I wanted.

So I would just talk to your professor. It can't hurt. Nothing might change--besides, I think college is more about the education than the hundredths place of your GPA.