stimulus package

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
bismark
Old Man

stimulus package

Post by bismark »

"I don't understand from my conservative friends, building a road, building a school, helping to get health care, that's wasteful spending. But that war in Iraq, that's going to cost us over a trillion dollars, yeah, I wish we hadn't done that we would have been in a lot better shape fiscally....The problem is that we look at spending and say, 'Oh, don't spend on highways. Don't spend on health care. But let's build Cold War weapons to defeat the Soviet Union when we don't need them. Let's have hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars going to the military without a check.'" -Rep. Frank

blah, this country makes me really sad sometimes.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Not to mention the trillions spent to bailout banks and other businesses without any oversight.

Maybe the Government is really just trying to commit suicide? That is the only reasonable explanation for their behavior.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:That is the only reasonable explanation for their behavior.
An action that is inexplicable to one, or obfuscated by the masses, is not inherently without explanation.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Tao wrote: An action that is inexplicable to one, or obfuscated by the masses, is not inherently without explanation.
Yeah, that is true. That was just my personal feeling of what the Government has been doing lately.

The Senate votes on the stimulus package today, right?
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Quiet Lamb

Post by Quiet Lamb »

It seems like he's saying, "Well, you got to spend money on your toy, now it's our turn to buy our toy!" For goodness sake, this isn't some game. We would love to repair roads and build new schoolhouses, but do you think that is really the best thing to do to climb out of a recession? I mean, I love the arts to an unhealthy level sometimes, but I wouldn't invest in them when we're suffering so much. When becoming cultured starts to put food on the table, let me know.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

well the point isn't to get the roads repaired, it is to make some jobs so that people have money. Making a bunch of extra secretarial positions in the government or something would be a blatant waste of money. At least tax payers are getting something out of this and it will provide jobs for a lot of people being laid off