What is the Issue in the Psystar Case?

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

What is the Issue in the Psystar Case?

Post by Laser Jock »

Some of you may remember hearing about Psystar. It's a small company that, about a year ago, started selling Mac clones—normal PCs with Mac OS X installed on them. Apple sued them shortly thereafter, because the end user license agreement (EULA) for OS X explicitly states that it may only be installed on Apple-branded hardware. (There were some additional charges in the lawsuit, but this was the big reason.)

I was curious to see what the current state of the lawsuit was, and in my searching I found an article I thought was very interesting. It carefully delineates the actual issue in the Psystar case, and explains why its importance goes way beyond this particular issue. If you're interested, here's the link: "What is the Issue in the Psystar Case?". I recommend it; I really enjoyed the author's approach, and he shed some light on why this sort of thing is (or should be) important to us as consumers, whether or not we care about this particular example.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I understand the motivations behind the law (money), but I agree with the blogger - we should be able to do whatever we want to with the things we buy.