since when?

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
Imogen
Picky Interloper

since when?

Post by Imogen »

ok this has bothered me a while. why is it so bad for people to be smart? like, i'm watching west wing, and gov. ritchie is trying to get people to vote for him because he's "ordinary folks." but he's not!! he's rich and the governor!! that bothered me about GWbush too!!! i want my president to be smart!! i want him to be brilliant!! i want him to be a lot smarter than me!!! not "regular folks!!!" that bothered me during the last presidential election. I'm glad obama went to harvard and yale and is really really smart!!! and john mccain went to some fancy ivy league school too!! why is he pretending he's "normal folks?!?!?!" HE'S NOT!!!

i just think this obsession with being "average" is such a detriment. i want people to be well educated and smart. i think everytime someone tries to pander to me with being a "regular american" they are insulting my intelligence and all the hard work i did in college.

ok...that's all.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Cuddlefish

Post by Cuddlefish »

I think a lot of it is the culture of mediocrity that America has encouraged for so long, telling everyone that they are unique and special just as they are. People don't feel the need to step out of their comfort zones and actually accomplish something because they already feel like they're important.

On a similar note, why is it ok to be sexist towards guys? All those commercials that portray men as bumbling buffoons who can barely figure out how to tie their shoes, who all have sexy, skinny wives, who are professional and elegant and on top of the game, really, really bug me. If you switched the roles, there would be heads rolling.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Cuddlefish wrote:On a similar note, why is it ok to be sexist towards guys?
Agreed. Those bug me to no end.

To take this complaint in yet another direction, the same issue often exists with females at large. Somebody somewhere apparently got the idea that smart girls scare guys, and so they often act like they have no capacity for thought (which, I fear, may ultimately lead to atrophy of the ability to think).

Of course, that doesn't apply to our esteemed group here (thanks, ladies), but it's far too common in the real world, amiright?