Movies

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Cognoscente

Movies

Post by Cognoscente »

District 9 was AWESOME.

I really want to check out Inglourious Basterds soon.

There have been some great movies coming out lately!
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Portia

Post by Portia »

(500) Days of Summer is one of my favorite movies of all time, period. The chemistry, the soundtrack, the dénouement, the vraisemblance . . . just thinking about this movie makes me happy. All you skeptics (guys) out there . . . this a romantic, adult, poignant film, not the factory-generated rom com trash of the past century. Think Roman Holiday more than (insert any Matthew McConnaughey film). v

Harry Potter was also surprisingly enjoyable for a neophyte like me. It had a good plot and genuine suspense.

I also greatly enjoyed a heap o' films I saw at the Seattle International Film Festival this summer, but I don't know that everyone shares my "hipster" (read: nerdy) love for movies about illegal immigration (in France!), or the true story of a polygamist neo-Christian hippie compound on Queen Anne Hill. However, I think most people here would enjoy Quinze Ans et Demi (stupidly translated as "Daddy Cool:" it means 15 1/2), a rather American-style comedy full of hijinks, teenage angsty blog posting, and a strait-laced chemist father.

Other recent or upcoming movies I want to see are Star Trek and Capitalism: A Love Story (I've actually never watched a Michael Moore film, but I like documentaries, and am curious about his incendiary style. They have This Divided State online for free, which I think would be amusing.)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

We used to watch Michael Moore in my history class if we had extra time at the end of the day... ah, growing up in California...
Portia

Post by Portia »

I watched an excerpt of This Divided State yesterday. Hilarious!
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Star Trek is on the level of Dark Knight in taking a tired old IP and making it incredibly cool. Great writing, pacing, plot, acting, amazing everything. It's a great movie on its own merits, taking it out of a Star Trek, sci-fi, or even action movie in general context. I've seen it 3 times in theaters, and I'm not even a Trekkie. I think it was one of the best movies of the year.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I haven't been watching any newer movies lately, as I have absolutely zero money (well, three bucks maybe), but my roommates and I have been watching older Disney movies. And man, some of those movies are simply wonderful in every way. We were watching Hercules and I was amazed at the subplots and the humor and the real emotion. And the fact that everyone acted in a way that real people really would.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Portia wrote:(I've actually never watched a Michael Moore film, but I like documentaries, and am curious about his incendiary style. They have This Divided State online for free, which I think would be amusing.)
Sicko & Roger and Me are worth seeing.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

I enjoyed both of those documentaries, too.