53611--whining about the football team

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Darth Fedora

53611--whining about the football team

Post by Darth Fedora »

In defense of the asker of this question, I'd like to point out that the Oklahoma game didn't exactly count as "under pressure." Yeah, it was in a big stadium against a big team, but since we were the underdogs, people didn't expect us to win. If we had lost, people would have been mostly ok with it, since we weren't supposed to win anyway.
I do think it seems like our most impressive games happen when we're predicted to lose.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I have no faith in either BYU or the U this year. There, I said it! Um . . . go Rockies! :P (Seriously . . . World Series, or midseason college football? Get your priorities straight, people!)
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Portia wrote:I have no faith in either BYU or the U this year.
I actually agree. I think the BYU team is too predictable with how they play.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

And the title of this thread has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Edmond

Post by Edmond »

Who says worrying about something never does any good. Most of the things I worry about never happen.

Post by 727 »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:
Portia wrote:I have no faith in either BYU or the U this year.
I actually agree. I think the BYU team is too predictable with how they play.
How so?
Could you please walk back through the detectors again and empty out your backpack?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Hey, just because I went there, doesn't mean I'm a fan of their football team . . .

But I'm not a huge (understatement!) football fan any way you slice it. If BYU's basketball team could start making some free throws and make it past the first round of the NCAA playoffs, I could be all over that one.

I think that team allegiance actually has a lot to do with sociological ways of thinking about group identity. Sometimes, to me, it's a bit like the star-bellied sneetches . . . that it comes down to an arbitrary way of dividing people into groups. I rarely automatically root for a team because they're from my state, or my school. Interestingly, though, I almost always cheer for the USA in the Olympics. I'm sure there's research on this, which if anyone wants to direct me to it, I'd be happy to read it.