NaNoWriMo 2009

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.

Are you going to participate? if so, will you be writing buddies with everyone?

YES! I CAN'T WAIT! OF COURSE WE CAN BE FRIENDS!
20%
Umm... Sure? I guess? And we can be friends if you want to. But no promises that I'll finish.
20%
No, I can't participate this year. ] = But I have an account and we can still be friends!
No votes
I'm praticipating, but you're all weirdos that I don't want stalking me IRL.
No votes
No. I refuse to participate. I refuse to let you be my friend. Even if I had an account I wouldn't tell you about it.
47%
Other (Please specify)
13%

Total votes: 15

Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

I'm writing a full-length screenplay...

I was writing it anyway, but I'm working harder on it this month? Hopefully?
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Works for me!
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I got introduced to something yesterday that helped me get writing. It's called Write or Die

Just a tip, take it or leave it!

Edited because I have done html all day so couldn't do this brackets business.
Last edited by C is for on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Well, I've pretty much already figured out that I'm not going to write 50,000 words. But at least I will write more than zero.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

NerdGirl wrote:Well, I've pretty much already figured out that I'm not going to write 50,000 words. But at least I will write more than zero.
Shh! You're not supposed to say that!
Tao

Post by Tao »

How do yall write? Linearly, or random scenes you'll string together as you go? So far, I've just been pounding out scenes that have popped into my head, but I'm a little concerned that the overall effect will be a string of pearls with more string than pearls.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

My writing technique switches back and forth between linear and random. Some of my best stories were when I wrote a couple of 'core scenes' then worked out from them (that's the style my Creative Writing prof used), but I've also gone linearly just with a word prompt in mind to keep me moving forward. I've had real stinkers coming from both those methods as well, so it's not hard and fast.

At the moment, I'm trying to work on something I started 3 years ago and gave up on, probably because I was trying to go linearly and little kids just aren't as interesting as teenagers. I think I'm going to give up and scrap it. I have a couple scenes in mind for a new one and I want to write them and leave the poor little gen girl in her straits.

I've never written a novel using random scenes, though, so I don't know if it's the best way. But if it's the way your muse works, I say keep at it! You can always rewrite later, right?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Right now I'm having more trouble coming up with what happens next than I have the previous two years, but I'm getting aorund that by writing scenes that happened before the story I'm writing now happened. It gives me a different storyline to focus on, which helps creativity overall, and it explores the past of most of the characters, which we help me know and write them better. It works for me.

Also: write or die is fun times. : D
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Aw man, I forgot to do the word game AGAIN!

Not that it matters much, since I've written probably 1000 words this whole month, but it was nice to, I dunno, "pretend"?

I hope this last week of November goes well for all y'all. I'd like to get to 5000 words, that's about all I can hope for now.
Tao

Post by Tao »

And Congratulations to bob on the win!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Thank you! I can hardly believe that I managed to write that last 10,000 words in six and a half hours. Whoo!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Congrats, Bob! That's awesome! :)