Random Thread V

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I PULLED A GREY HAIR OFF MY HEAD TODAY.

That is all.
I did the same not too long ago, on a day that just happened to be my 27th birthday. It made me feel very old.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

NerdGirl wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:I PULLED A GREY HAIR OFF MY HEAD TODAY.

That is all.
I did the same not too long ago, on a day that just happened to be my 27th birthday. It made me feel very old.
I started pulling them out when I was 19. Well, one. And a couple more when I was 20. Right now my hair's too short to tell how many are gray (always a solution). Why do our hair follicles betray us?
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

thank you for making me feel young again. Occasionally I start to stress about getting older, what with turning 21 and my hair turning brown. But thankfully the brown hairs are few and far between.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

This may be a bit premature, but the dictator has fallen! Woot!

Down with Winfrey! Yah! Her empire shall be no more! Freedom!

*ahem*

Sorry about that.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

Nanti-SARRMM wrote:This may be a bit premature, but the dictator has fallen! Woot!

Down with Winfrey! Yah! Her empire shall be no more! Freedom!

*ahem*

Sorry about that.
I'm just gonna say that I love her. She's an example of how you can use social power to aid those in need.

And, don't get your hopes up, she did mention something about the Oprah Winfrey Network.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

xkcd *** wrote: I'm just gonna say that I love her. She's an example of how you can use social power to aid those in need.

And, don't get your hopes up, she did mention something about the Oprah Winfrey Network.
Indeed she does. However, I was mostly making fun of her book club.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

A bit late, but, speaking of crazy people no longer on television.... Lou Dobbs retired. I guess there is no place in today's media for a misleading old xenophobe.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

My roommate has, once again, turned her radio on to a slightly static-y station with music I don't like and then left the house. What is this?
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:My roommate has, once again, turned her radio on to a slightly static-y station with music I don't like and then left the house. What is this?
And now she has done it for the second time today. I'm starting to get passive-aggressive vibes.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I vote Confrontation!

Ask her in your most normal voice if it's okay that you turn off her music when she's not there. Then you can fight about why it's okay for you to do that.

Did I ever tell the story about my roommate coming to the kitchen when I'm eating lunch and, the moment I stand up to grab a glass of water, stealing my chair to help her reach a high spot? I still wish I'd said, "Hey, you took my chair!" instead of just quietly moving to the next spot, because accepting her theft just made her mad.

So, I would pick a ... discussion.
Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Happy Birthday Cookie Monster!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Nanti-SARRMM

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

Whistler wrote:Everybody says I can't dance! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB5sJw_Q ... re=related
If you define dancing as randomly spazzing out in some indiscernible pattern while music is playing, everyone can dance!
Last edited by Nanti-SARRMM on Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

If you define dancing as randomly spazzing out in some discernible pattern while music is playing, everyone can dance!
Oh, you've made me so happy!
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

I really can't imagine that anyone actually finds all this Tiger Woods stuff interesting...
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

NerdGirl wrote:I really can't imagine that anyone actually finds all this Tiger Woods stuff interesting...
Someone must, or it wouldn't keep getting all this press. But I wasn't interested in the first story and every day, with more stories each time I look, it just gets more and more unappealing.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

So, I decided that this is where anonymous friends come in handy. Because I can't tell people I know until they announce it in church. But I just got taken out of Beehives today after 4 years, and I'm really sad. Last time I moved callings, I felt strongly that I was going where I was needed, so I was okay with leaving where I was happy. But I somehow don't have that this time. I'm going to Activity Days, which I know nothing about, because the Primary President asked for me, even though she is getting released next week (because her husband just got called as Bishop, and they can't be both). So instead I just feel . . . kicked out, rejected or something. The worst part is that I cried about it all today, and Wednesday night we are hosting the annual YW Christmas party at my house. How on earth do I not cry, knowing it is my last activity? One of my girls brought me a plate of cookies with a cute thank you/Merry Christmas note today, and I couldn't decide if that made me feel better or worse.

Anyway, I guess today I was really contemplating the term "accept a new calling." I always thought it refered to just telling the Bishobric that you would do it, but I think I found today that it is more than that. I have to accept it myself. I guess that takes time. And prayer. And faith.

I'll be working on it.

In the meantime, thanks for listening to the vent. Let me know if you have insights.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I hate it when I finally find a calling that I'm good at, and then have to change. But I guess the point is not to be good at it, but to learn while doing it.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

From the perspective of one who used to make the callings for those working with the Beehives, and those working with Activity Day, I can understand you pain. I used to think it would be harder to call people to a position than release them, but experience taught me that people become very attached to their callings and hate to be released. So, it ended up being much harder to release people than call people. It is hard when you love the people you are working with.

I think you will love your new calling, if you can open your heart to it. You'll do fun things with some younger girls. Hopefully you'll learn to love them as well. Maybe even more so. As you say (I think), it will be up to you. I think your attitude is good. You should be fine, after a while.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

My mom was really sad when she got released from her calling teaching the 14/15yo Sunday school class earlier this year. She had two knee replacements this year, and the recovery was supposed to take months and she was expecting to miss a lot of church because of it. And the plan was that as soon as knee number one had recovered to the point where she could walk on it fairly well, she would have knee number two done and it would start all over. So she was planning on being basically housebound for the better part of a year. Well, it went much better than the doctor expected, and she's only missed a total of 4 Sundays because of it! It went so well that the doctor decided she should have her second surgery about 4 months earlier than he had originally thought. So now after only about 5 months total she's almost completely recovered and can walk without her cane, and she's just dying to get another church calling and she feels like they basically released her for nothing. She's still really missing her class. So I think she would understand how you feel. I don't know if that helps or not, but there's at least a story for you!