'Nyms v. Real life

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Giovanni Schwartz

'Nyms v. Real life

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

If someone came up to you and called you your nym in real life, do you think you would respond?

I might.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Almost certainly. I once looked up when my father called my sister Bob (she was only a month old and her head was bobbing up and down as she tried to hold it up) and my first response to hearing the name "Bob" is "Hey, that's my name!"
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

In various other online places, I use my same 'nym only slightly variant on spelling, "Mardoc". This is usually shortened to "Doc", and as I speak with some of these people over voice over servers such as skype and ventrilo, I am used to responding to "Doc" verbally. Upon discovering that two of my acquiantances, a husband and wife, in one of these other places was not only also LDS (where it was highly unusual to be so), but lived in West Valley City, we decided to get together for lunch. We had quite a wonderful conversation, all while I called them "Klash" and "Kalamity" (their 'nyms) and they called me "Doc".
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

That's awesome.

What's up, Doc?

Oh, I slay myself.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I do answer if someone shouts Unit, or otherwise uses it outside of commonly accepted usages. More often I get called Twiglt though, or twigs or twiggy. Long story there
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

No one ever recognizes me. I tend to stay hidden amongst the shadows where no one knows my true 'nym, thinking of questions that should never be answered... (*eerie haunted house music with random screaming and evil laughter*)

Ahem. Anyway, if you do happen to know what I look like (your best bet to find out would have been the Board Booth last November) and do see me around campus, go ahead and call me Dead Cat (or one of my other 'nyms, if you're smart like that). Just don't do it at the top of your lungs or I will pretend I do not know you. I may like spontaneity, but that is just a little too much for me.

Of course, if you do address me properly, you are going to have to introduce yourself by 'nym--Matt Meese is the only exception to this rule, so plan accordingly.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Yeah, I am fairly confident that I would turn around in shock if I heard anyone call out "HI The Answer is 42!". Mainly because there is no way for that to come up in a normal conversation. And I have only met like 5 of you.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

I seem to remember Uffish Thought being annoyed with me if I would ever call him/her that to his/her face.

Most of the time, I became friends/acquaintances with writers/readers for reasons only indirectly related to the Board, so it wasn't hard to get to know them by IRL names.

And since I no longer hide my IRL identity, I wouldn't be shocked to hear someone call me bismark.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Um, if someone could figure out how to call me my nym in real life. The only useful verbal rendition has been "C-blank" because that's what I put on my nametag.

Or if someone wanted to call me something starting with C.

Pretty much it's not likely. And I'm free and loose with my real name. So...

I might answer to it. If I could figure out what you were referring to.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

For most people, C, I do keep calling them by their 'nyms long after I know their real names. (In fact, I still call Fredjikrang Fred most of the time... my sister and I like it better than his real name.) However, as soon as I remembered that I did know your real name, that became your name. C is for or C Blank or anything like that is just too unwieldy. : )
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I unfortunately answer to Chilly, Lint and Gator (usually I get that one because people can't say my last name and just give up) more than is intended. I've been surprised how often lint comes into conversations not concerning me (o:
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Though I first met you and interacted with you several times in the real world, you look like a bismark to me.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I would answer to Nerd Girl, but it's pretty unlikely anyone I would see in real life would figure out who I am. I think there's only one person that I know in real life who has ever read the board on a regular basis, but I don't think she does anymore. We discovered it together our freshman year in the basement of the Wilk, and that was in 2000. If she does still read it, I don't know about it, but she would certainly know who I was if she ever read the message board and she hasn't called me Nerd Girl yet.

There is another message board I post on under a different fake name (a Canadian pre-med forum) and I've had someone I know figure it out and call me my different fake name. But it's really obvious who I am on that board.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i probably wouldn't answer to my 'nym, but no one i know where i live reads the board. though some people on here already know my real name.

quiz for them: can y'all even pronounce my last name?
beautiful, dirty, rich
Tao

Post by Tao »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:C is for or C Blank or anything like that is just too unwieldy. : )
When in doubt, just go with C4.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Tao wrote:
bobtheenchantedone wrote:C is for or C Blank or anything like that is just too unwieldy. : )
When in doubt, just go with C4.
You. I like you. You can stay. : )