#56527 Female endowment before marriage

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

vorpal blade

#56527 Female endowment before marriage

Post by vorpal blade »

I'd just like to say a word or two in support of the bishop, who advised the young woman to receive her endowments shortly before her temple marriage, but not a long time before her temple marriage.

As we know, a woman can receive her endowment before she goes on a mission, or when she is sufficiently mature. But if she is receiving her endowment because she is soon to be married, then the endowment experience is a little bit different. Unfortunately due to its sacred nature I can't talk about it in detail. I think it is for this reason that bishops are counseled to advise young women to wait until shortly before the marriage, in case the marriage should be called off.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I think you're probably right about that, vorpal. I knew a girl once who received her endowment several months before her wedding day, only to have her fiance change his mind a few weeks before the wedding. For a long time afterwards, it was very hard for her to go to the temple because the endowment was so connected in her mind with her ex-fiance. That bishop has likely seen a few too many marriages get called off at the last minute and doesn't want the temple to become something negative for this young women in the event that her marriage doesn't take place.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I think I know what you're talking about - I was just thinking about this myself, as we just saw my sister-in-law through for the first time in preparation for her upcoming mission. It's a good point. A subtle difference, but an emotionally significant one.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

I know what Vorpal's talking about and I can see another reason, besides what NerdGirl said, that it could be problematic for the woman. When a girl who is about to be married receives her endowment, she shares something very sacred with her husband-to-be. If the wedding is subsequently called off, she has to live with the knowledge that that young man has that information. In the eternal scheme of things I doubt it matters much; the Lord will take care of all mistakes and misunderstandings. But it could still cause the woman grief, thus the recommendation is designed to spare her that, not imply inferiority on her part.
I am Ellipsissy...
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

I agree with Nerdgirl, krebscout, and Damasta.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Damasta nailed it.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Here's where I think I'm confused.

My sister's coming up for her endowment prior to her marriage (this might, in fact, be her question, since it's about a month before her wedding). I think she's just gonna have the straight endowment like I had. Then in the week before her marriage (or the day before, or whenever) she and her fiance will have that special moment.

Maybe I'm wrong, though -- I'll find out next week. But this is the impression I had.
habiba

Post by habiba »

C is for wrote:Here's where I think I'm confused.

My sister's coming up for her endowment prior to her marriage (this might, in fact, be her question, since it's about a month before her wedding). I think she's just gonna have the straight endowment like I had. Then in the week before her marriage (or the day before, or whenever) she and her fiance will have that special moment.

Maybe I'm wrong, though -- I'll find out next week. But this is the impression I had.
Is that how it works? If the bride has previously received her endowments do they still do that "special moment"? (Is that even an appropriate question outside of the temple?)

And how have I never even THOUGHT of that question in the four some years since I did my endowments?
allahu akbar
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

habiba wrote:
C is for wrote:Here's where I think I'm confused.

Is that how it works? If the bride has previously received her endowments do they still do that "special moment"? (Is that even an appropriate question outside of the temple?)

And how have I never even THOUGHT of that question in the four some years since I did my endowments?
Yes, they do. I won't go into the details of how it's altered, but yes, they do.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I remember when I was getting married my Bishop told me that I could only have the . . . special moment . . . if it was within a week of my actual wedding. I always thought that was a church rule, but perhaps that was just his rule? But yes, if you have already taken out your endowments, you have a "short session" with your betrothed right before your sealing.

On a side note, "special moment" sounds like a really weird way to phrase this to me. If you are not endowed, and now confused, I think Damasta's description is the better one.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

i'm not gonna lie, calling it "special moment" makes it sound like they consummate their marriage in front of people, like royals used to do in centuries past. i'm sure that's not at all what it is, but that's what it reminds me of.
beautiful, dirty, rich
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I think that "special moment" was great for one-time use, but the repetition has made it sound really weird. I think I'll go edit my second and call it "sacred" instead.

Imogen, that's not what it is. That's why "exchange of sacred information" is more appropriate and accurate.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

Strange way of saying things.

Imogen,

Part of our sacred ceremony is entering into the "Celestial Room" (you can see pictures released by the church here: http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/temp ... _room.html), which to us symbolizes heaven or being in the presence of God. Usually it is done alone, but as part of the marriage ceremony, it is done as a couple, which as you can guess has deep symbolic meaning to us.

I don't think there was anything too sacred there to be discussed.
Damasta

Post by Damasta »

Imogen wrote:i'm not gonna lie, calling it "special moment" makes it sound like they consummate their marriage in front of people, like royals used to do in centuries past. i'm sure that's not at all what it is, but that's what it reminds me of.
Ah ha ha! Imogen, you made me laugh. I didn't know that royals used to do that. But I know that's how the ancient Israelites did it. I've been told that the marriage at Cana, spoken of in the Bible (Jn. 2:1–11), was actually a consummation ceremony, not a wedding. Awkward!

Rest assured that the LDS people keep sexual acts very private.
I am Ellipsissy...
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Damasta wrote:
Imogen wrote:i'm not gonna lie, calling it "special moment" makes it sound like they consummate their marriage in front of people, like royals used to do in centuries past. i'm sure that's not at all what it is, but that's what it reminds me of.
Ah ha ha! Imogen, you made me laugh. I didn't know that royals used to do that. But I know that's how the ancient Israelites did it. I've been told that the marriage at Cana, spoken of in the Bible (Jn. 2:1–11), was actually a consummation ceremony, not a wedding. Awkward!

Rest assured that the LDS people keep sexual acts very private.
no wonder they needed more wine...that's super awkward.

thanks for the pictures, bismark. those rooms are huge! i don't want y'all to say anything you're not supposed to, but is a person in there totally alone or is someone else in there with them?
beautiful, dirty, rich
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

There are usually many people in the Celestial Room at one time. You are done with the endowment when arrive in the room, so you can spend as much time as you want in there, praying and meditating and what-not. No matter how many people are there, it is as quiet as a library, so it is a wonderful place to rest and consider everything.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

Imogen wrote:
no wonder they needed more wine...that's super awkward.
Yeah, seriously! I don't think I would ever go to anyone's wedding if that sort of thing was going to happen.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

NerdGirl wrote:
Yeah, seriously! I don't think I would ever go to anyone's wedding if that sort of thing was going to happen.
Saves a lot of time teaching sex ed, at least.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Damasta wrote:But I know that's how the ancient Israelites did it.
No, that is not the way I did it.

Seriously, I'd like to see some evidence of that. Now, if you would like some wild speculation about what really happened at the marriage in Cana I refer you to the Journal of Discourses.
NerdGirl

Post by NerdGirl »

vorpal blade wrote:
Damasta wrote:But I know that's how the ancient Israelites did it.
No, that is not the way I did it.
Now that is the funniest thing I've heard all week. I literally lol'ed.