Hobbes and Marzipan Borg

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

GEEKY RUNNING JOKES ARE AWESOME. IF YOU DO NOT LIKE STAR TREK WE CANNOT VOUCH FOR YOUR COOLNESS AS A PERSON.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Commander Keen: Are people actually writing in and whining about it? Or do you just mean on here? Because I don't think many of us were ever upset about it- or at least I wasn't. As we said earlier in this thread, everyone has different senses of humor. I'm sure a lot of work went into it- and a lot of people enjoyed it! (Cept . . . not me. Sorry. I like plain vanilla Board, like the boring old person I am.)

Oh, and if people did write into the Board about it, can we see the hate mail? Hate mail always makes me laugh. It's too bad Eric Snider doesn't do Angry Letters anymore. Seriously So Blessed gets some good ones though.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I'm quite entertained by it, actually. And I'm jealous that the borg isn't trying to assimilate me!
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Don't try to get assimilated! The borg give you hickeys!

Also, I was whining. Not gonna lie. But now I'm kind of starting to enjoy it, now that I (kind of) understand the point and the story.

Although I still preferred the Board Identity because it had reader interactiony stuff. This one seems to be more "fun for the writers" than "fun for the readers".
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Oh, and if people did write into the Board about it, can we see the hate mail? Hate mail always makes me laugh. It's too bad Eric Snider doesn't do Angry Letters anymore. Seriously So Blessed gets some good ones though.
Let me punch some numbers in...yeah...you'll be seeing it in give or take 100 hours by my calculations.
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Humble Master wrote:
TheAnswerIs42 wrote:Oh, and if people did write into the Board about it, can we see the hate mail? Hate mail always makes me laugh. It's too bad Eric Snider doesn't do Angry Letters anymore. Seriously So Blessed gets some good ones though.
Let me punch some numbers in...yeah...you'll be seeing it in give or take 100 hours by my calculations.
Yeah, what he said. And yes, there are freakin' plenty of such mail or questions or whatevers. I was admittedly kinda venting after looking at the inbox full of questions saying "UHHMMMM yeah I dont liek the borg? So ken we like stop plz! K thnks¿"

And yeah, I know readers want entertainment, and that's what we're here for and all (for, you know, completely free and on a volunteer basis...'n' stuff), but writers need some entertainment as well...

and by that I mean, anyone who isn't all about this can CRAM IT. :D

Oh, and I hate emoticons.
<insert smarmy quote here>
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I'll be honest, I'm coming around a bit. I am still worried that it is just gonna be a huge fake out, and the ending will be quite a let down. (read: do NOT somehow resolve this by suggesting it was all a dream.) But there's enough obscure references that I find a mild amount of entertainment in it.

But to CK, get over it. Any time you put something out for mass consumption, you're gonna encounter a myriad of opinions. Get used to it, take what suggestions you can for improvement, and move on. That is all.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I'm surprised at how few people around here knew what the Borg was (were?). I guess I underestimated the nerdiness of the readers.

Also, I'd be willing to bet the ending isn't "it was all a dream." I'm pretty sure it's going to be the unveiling of Board 4.0.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

Darth Fedora wrote:I'm surprised at how few people around here knew what the Borg was (were?). I guess I underestimated the nerdiness of the readers.

Also, I'd be willing to bet the ending isn't "it was all a dream." I'm pretty sure it's going to be the unveiling of Board 4.0.
Don't ruin the surprise!!
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

Just speculation! I don't know any more than anyone else.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Eh, what's done is done.

Next time: 100 HOUR GLEE.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

krebscout wrote:Eh, what's done is done.

I'm sorry, I was under the impression you had a soul.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

TO ALL WHO RESIST OUR HUMOR:

DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT SPECIES
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

krebscout wrote:Eh, what's done is done.

Oh goodness gracious. Except maybe it should more be Broadway in general. Because that would be my favorite thing ever.
Foreman

Post by Foreman »

Marduk wrote:But to CK, get over it. Any time you put something out for mass consumption, you're gonna encounter a myriad of opinions. Get used to it, take what suggestions you can for improvement, and move on. That is all.
And to Marduk: you and everyone else can also deal with our reactions; our readers aren't the only ones who get to have opinions. Anytime you patronize a volunteer service, you're going to get a lot of variable quality.

If you have a problem with me saying this, I refer you to your own quote.
Commander Keen

Post by Commander Keen »

Marduk wrote:But to CK, get over it. Any time you put something out for mass consumption, you're gonna encounter a myriad of opinions. Get used to it, take what suggestions you can for improvement, and move on. That is all.
Edit: After deleting a veritable novel, I'll just say: There are two sides to every story. (To clarify, this next sentence is not meant to come across as cocky or whatnot). I can pretty well see both sides of what has transpired in the last few days, and you aren't able to see one half of it - that being all the behind-the-scenes chatter between writers and the negative comments submitted by the readership. We do care about our readers and are listening to the criticism more than you must think. That doesn't mean that we love all the negativity, though (which again, you really can't see the half of it). It would be wise to not speak so matter-of-factly in the future, especially when it's purely to point out the obvious. That only comes across as purely condescending.

I even used a smiley, Marduk, which means, even though I was (as I admitted) venting a bit, I wasn't shouting at you or anyone through the computer. If you wanna continue this, pm or e-mail me. Really, feel free. No hard feelings, man. Er, woman. Whichever, lest I make another bigcheese mistake (my bad!). The entire point of my initial post was to say that really, a lot of readers have acted like spoiled children over this ordeal. I'm REALLY not fishing for compliments/praise/glory, laud, and honor here, but you know, we do provide an entirely free volunteer service. It can be frustrating when we get a dozen+ negative comments for every one positive, when all we're trying to do is do something fun for everyone. Go out, spend hours of each week working on something, have it tossed back at your feet as though it were dross, hear nothing but the negative aspects of it, and tell me that you don't feel a little disappointment and frustration. Surely you've experienced these emotions at some point in your life. That's all I'm trying to say, really.
<insert smarmy quote here>
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Once I got to Editor #2's rant (was that who it was? It's only been 5 minutes since I read it and already I can't remember) about "readers getting frustrated over something funny" I was like, "Those must've been some complaints."

Like Ms 42 said, we were a bit annoyed, but none of us were really upset and I was totally willing to let it run its course (and, like Mr Gio said, it got lots better). This puts CK's vent about "your questions OUR answers" more in perspective, if other readers were not as ... patient and tolerant as us.

I just realized that I'm about to repeat something I said on the very first day this occurred: Looking forward to the comments in the next few days!
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Commander Keen wrote:Whichever, lest I make another bigcheese mistake (my bad!).
Ha! No worries, man. It's all good.
Darth Fedora wrote:I'm pretty sure it's going to be the unveiling of Board 4.0.
That was my guess as well. But now the story is over and it still looks like the old Board...so maybe not? At least, not yet?
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

CK, I love you and all the writers. I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, sorry if I didn't come across that way. But hey, if I offended, I'm sorry. And if you're still feeling like your work has gone under appreciated, you and any other writers that feel similarly (and are willing to compromise your anonymity) can come over to my house and I'll make you a delicious thank you dinner, for all your hard work (really, this is a serious offer. I make a delicious bearnaise sauce, or a four cheese lasagna, or whatever else you guys are in the mood for.)
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I don't even know what bearnaise sauce is, but I'm totally down. If that offer extends to out-of-state retirees.

(Also: I've never seen Glee. I was trying to come up with pop culture's most annoying current phenomenon, and I thought, "Eh, probably that one.")