#57789 Cool Secret Skill

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

C is for
um Administrator

#57789 Cool Secret Skill

Post by C is for »

link

Gimgimno, I have practiced TypeRacer and, while accepting the fact I might lose, am prepared to meet you on the racecourse.

This question came up at the only Board reader party I've been to (the other one was a Board Writer dinner, ok) and I didn't have a ready answer. DZ broke out some awesome juggling, though.

Since then, I gave some thought to whether I have a cool skill, and here are some things I can do:

1) I have perfect pitch.
2) I can write backwards almost as fast as forwards.
3) I can write messages in amino acid structures. As long as the message doesn't necessarily contain B, J, O, U, X, or Z.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Re: #57789 Cool Secret Skill

Post by Unit of Energy »

I have an uncanny ability to remember birthdays and other numbers. I never bothered to learn pi as it is not something that will benefit me in the long run. I despise useless math.

I can also have a relatively intelligent conversation about pretty much anything.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I can stick my whole fist in my mouth.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

NerdGirl,

My, what a tiny fist you have.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

NerdGirl, My what a large mouth you have. : p ; )
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Like Sky Bones, I also play fridge tetris. I've never heard it called such, but it is a perfect name for it. My motto is that you can ALWAYS fit something else in the fridge. I also have an uncanny memory for Harry Potter trivia. Though, it is getting a bit rusty.

I've actually been meaning to write a blog post about something like this.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Well then, I am an expert at dishwasher tetris. And I can remember birthdays pretty well...it always surprises me when other people can't remember the birthdays of all their family and friends. Just comes easy to me, I guess?
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Thanks for clarifying the definitoin of fridge tetris, Dragon Lady. I get it now.
I can pick up the lyrics and melody of a song quickly enough that I can often start singing along partway through the first time that I've heard it. however, it does depend in part on the song. Along with this, I can harmonize really well, write simple music easily, and do a backbend.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I play movie tetris. I have somehow managed to fit 400 movies onto a shelf that seemed full when there were only 150 movies on it. But I'm not sure that that is a secret talent.
Giovanni Schwartz

I'm good at making people feel good about themselves.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

one of my roommates said that I can make people comfortable being themselves. I think it might be just her though.

I studied piano technology for a while, but never got up to RPT level.
TK

Post by TK »

I am the most humble person ever.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I can whistle well and I'm good at deflecting attention away from myself when I don't want it. (Which is generally the case.)
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

I can fall asleep ANYWHERE. Anytime. It is so awesome because when I'm bored, I can just turn off.
Other areas of excellence: taking tests, baking pies, and playing Ticket to Ride.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Darth Fedora wrote:I can fall asleep ANYWHERE. Anytime. It is so awesome because when I'm bored, I can just turn off.
Speaking as someone with chronic insomnia, I officially hate you.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I'm very good at knowing where things are. Obscure things that I happen to glance at when I'm rummaging around, cataloguing their location in my mind. Not important things, like car titles and W2 forms, which I lose frequently. I used to have an excellent memory, but then I got pregnant, and my mental sharpness noticeably decreased. I'm awesome at peer-reviewing, and making English teachers love me. I can draw just like Dr. Suess. I'm pretty good with accents. I'm good at reading body language and being sensitive to the emotional states of others, and consequently I'm good at smoothing over situations and helping two people communicate when they're misunderstanding each other. I had a reputation in high school for persuading all vending machines to accept even the shabbiest of dollar bills. I can make something cool out of junk. I understand paint.
Giovanni Schwartz

At first, I read your post as "I'm good at reading body language and being insensitive to the emotional states of others..."
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Oh I'm also good at making awesome babies
Giovanni Schwartz

You haven't posted pictures of Baby #1 in a while. (have you? Maybe I'm just crazy.)

Oh. There are those two. But that's it since April 13th.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

You know, I have been thinking about this for a while. And I have come to the conclusion that I am mediocre at a vast array of things. But I lack an actual, amazing talent. Sad day. I mean, I am better than most people at sewing, calligraphy, and math. And there are days where I think I am a fairly good mom. But . . . yep. Mediocre me.