Favorite Q/A From 28 September 2007.

Which 100HB response was your favorite today? A place to create polls and respond.

Favorite Q/A From 28 September 2007.

39446- A million Qs about Driving
No votes
39534- To Ask Out or Not to Ask Out
17%
39535- Favorite Word not in Websters
33%
39543- Old Animalistic T.V. Shows
17%
39546- Little White Pizza Tables
25%
39549- Wizard of Oz
No votes
Other- Please Specify
8%

Total votes: 12

Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I'm going to have to go with the cartoon question. :)
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

I'm not so sure that the driving questions didn't deserve a slap to quell the hysteria....

Oh, and lest we forget, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz was a book published almost 40 years before the Judy Garland movie which is still discussed in US history and poly sci classes. It's not just the movie that was a cultural phenomenon, but the book as well. That's a pretty deadly combination.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

I'm torn- too many good options- Although, a Mom, I was also thinking about the book The Wizard of Oz when I read that question and I wished that more people would read it. L. Frank Baum is a very witty author. In fact, I reccommend the entire Oz series. Did you know it's a series? It's a fairly lengthy series, too. And the boooks are neither long nor hard to read- but very enjoyable.
Humble Master

Post by Humble Master »

Uffish Thought addressed the book when she said "and the silver standard could save us all from the evil bankers," so it was addressed...just not super explicitly.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Heh. True. Good catch. And I've read, most, if not all, of the series. It's all right, but I can't say it's my favorite.
Portia

favorite

Post by Portia »

http://theboard.byu.edu/index.php?area=viewall&id=39536

I like short questions with short answers about things I am interested in. I like knowing how to pronounce things, and I feel this will be useful to my life. (As an aside, the edition I had of Taming of the Shrew said that "shrew" was pronounced "shroh," which makes sense if you look at the rhymes.)
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

Confession time: I not only read the entire Oz series, I OWN most of them. If you try really, really hard, I bet you can guess my first name. And I'll give you a hint. It's not Glinda or Ozma.

I also never bought the whole silver standard argument. That may be because of the lack of knowledge of the high school teacher who introduced it, (How hard IS it to get the author's name right? And you really should know there were other books.) but I just couldn't buy it. Not after it all made sense of something I read in an introduction written by Baum to one of the books earlier that basically said they were just children's stories. Of course, I could be misremembering, but I still don't buy it.

And yeah. I get way too excited about this whole issue. I'll shut up now.