@ Cognoscente

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

@ Cognoscente

Post by Marduk »

So, if I were to decide that I wanted to start listening to Radiohead, where would you recommend I start? Also, did you ever listen to the Oingo Boingo album "Boingo"? Also also, I can't believe the Smiths fauxpas I made on the f-book. I'm so ashamed.
Deus ab veritas
bismark
Old Man

Re: @ Cognoscente

Post by bismark »

The Bends.
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

I started off listening to The Bends (per Cogger's recommendation) and I found it to be incredibly dull. Then I listed to Kid A and was completely sold. The Bends is considered to be more accessible but Kid A and Okay Computer are amazingly brilliant.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

I think OK Computer, In Rainbows, and Hail to the Thief are the most accessible...
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Here's how I see them:

1993: Pablo Honey - Mediocre grunge-lite, this album is basically disowned by the band. "Creep" is still their biggest hit, though they've sworn to never play it live again.
1995: The Bends - Pretty great accessible Brit-pop. They developed their songwriting and have some interesting melodies. Mostly straightforward rock, but they do it well. "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Spirit Street (Fade Out)" are foreshadowings of greatness.
1997: OK Computer - Phenomenally great British alt-rock album. Intricate, densely layered and gorgeous sweeping melodies from start to finish. It's a spectacular treatise on modern humanity and culture re: materialism, consumerism, etc. ("Fitter. Happier. Healthier and more productive. A pig, in a cage, on antibiotics.") The whole album is great, but personally the chorus arrangements in "Subterranean Homesick Alien" are my favorite moment on the record.
2000: Kid A - Indescribably, transcendentally great record. It's not even rock anymore. It's like listening to music from 50 years in the future. Listen to the full album from beginning to end. If you ask me, "Idioteque" is the greatest single song of the last decade.
2001: Amnesiac - Basically, the Kid A B-sides. Not as great or cohesive as Kid A, but still plenty of excellent material. "Packt Like Sardines..." and "I Might Be Wrong" are catchy.
2003: Hail to the Thief - The most "rock" record since OK Computer. This isn't as popular as their previous work but there are some good moments. I like "Go To Sleep (Little Man Being Erased)."
2007: In Rainbows - I think this is their best album since Kid A. It's quieter and features a lot less electronic distortion and experimentation than most of their stuff. "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" is phenomenal through a pair of really good headphones.

If you are just getting into them, I recommend listening to OK Computer and In Rainbows first, then Kid A.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Did you ever listen to "Boingo"?
Deus ab veritas
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

tell us what you think! Personally I love Kid A.