Books in a Family Library

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Re: Books in a Family Library

Post by xkcd *** »

Dead Cat, let's be friends.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

xkcd *** wrote:Dead Cat, let's be friends.
I accept.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I agreed with lots of your first authors, Dead Cat, until suddenly I hit a spot where I knew none of the rest of them. (Except Patricia C. Wrede. And I just discovered her.) And since I was in such agreement for the first part, now I want to go just find books by the rest of them.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Dragon Lady wrote:I agreed with lots of your first authors, Dead Cat, until suddenly I hit a spot where I knew none of the rest of them. (Except Patricia C. Wrede. And I just discovered her.) And since I was in such agreement for the first part, now I want to go just find books by the rest of them.
You're making me blush...

You probably have heard of a lot of the books by the authors I mentioned, but I had to learn author names in a book competition I participated in 5-12th grade. It's where I found most of these authors in the first place. I just hope that you've heard of C. S. Lewis and Dr. Seuss.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Ok, so not ALL of them at the end I hadn't heard of. Just most. :)
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Okay, guys. The Factress is having a bridal shower on Wednesday and, since she's already gotten like a million dollars in household presents, she's asking for books. WHICH BOOK SHOULD I GIVE HER???

Should I go with a picture book? An early reader? Juvenile fiction? YA? Ayn Rand?

And what can I do to make sure that the book I get her is different than the books everyone else is getting her? (Like 10 people probably. This is the "We totally failed to give you any presents at your wedding so have a post-event bridal shower" from my dad's side of the family.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

You could get her a really quirky cookbook. I saw one at the BYU bookstore once that was a bunch of different recipes to make with ramen, including dessert.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Pippi Longstocking!
wired

Post by wired »

If you go for a children's book, please select "Duck for President," which I only read last year and it is still one of my favorite kids' books.