You can tell a lot about someone by ...

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Indefinite Integral

Re: You can tell a lot about someone by ...

Post by Indefinite Integral »

I do think there are certain things you can tell by looking at things people own, or the way they take care of themselves. However, the longer this discussion goes on, the more it seems to me that there are always exceptions and you can rarely make accurate generalizations.

Now, with that over, I'm going to go make another generalization. I think you can tell a lot about someone by what instrument they play (if they play one). Even though the stereotypes are somewhat ridiculous, it is amazing how much you can learn about someone just by learning that they play the clarinet, for example.

In that same vein, the type of music someone creates also tells a lot about them.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

The first thing I thought of when I saw this question was actually the quote that Vorpal Blade uses. A person's opinion of the world really does say a lot about the person. Also, the topics that a person chooses to discuss in casual conversation says a lot about what they spend their time thinking about- how much does someone complain, gossip, and look on the negative side of things or how much do they encourage, enlighten, and look for the good?
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Perhaps many of these can be generalized even further. You can tell a lot about someone by the way they spend their money.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Indefinite Integral wrote:Now, with that over, I'm going to go make another generalization. I think you can tell a lot about someone by what instrument they play (if they play one). Even though the stereotypes are somewhat ridiculous, it is amazing how much you can learn about someone just by learning that they play the clarinet, for example.
Piano, organ, and recorder. What does that say about me?
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

You can tell a lot about somebody by the condition of their bathroom. Cluttered? Filthy? Sticky? Wet? Spotless? Smells too good? Fuzzy toilet covers? Handsoap? Condition of the towels? The list goes on.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Craig Jessop wrote: Smells too good? .
...?
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

ahem. wrote:
Craig Jessop wrote: Smells too good? .
...?
Have you ever walked into a bathroom, only to be suffocated by lavender or sweet pea or some other ghastly scent? I mean a little is okay, but some people take it WAY overboard. Bathrooms ought to smell clean, not pollinated.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

How about how they keep their living room? I keep getting compliments on how clean our living room always is. It makes me laugh.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have often played the "What can you tell about me by my room?" game, because I like to have posters and the like.

I always look at what books people have.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

You can tell a lot about a person by trying to tell a lot about a person
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

their walk?

... not sure if this has been said, but i'm not willing to check right now.
But thick as you are, pay attention!
My words are a matter of Pride.

My Goal: To make enough money to hire Jeremy Irons, the voice of Scar from The Lion King, to follow me around and do my dialogue.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Craig Jessop wrote:Have you ever walked into a bathroom, only to be suffocated by ... sweet pea or some other ghastly scent?
Probably my screwball mind, but I automatically thought of diabetes mellitushere.
xkcd *** wrote:their walk?
Posture analysis can be awe inspiring when done by a practiced professional. Learning it, on the other hand, just feels awkward. I don't know if anyone would believe that the college-aged male standing in the middle of the mall watching people walk was doing so as a homework assignment...
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I stand around watching people all the time. : )

I like to think I know enough about body language, tone of voice, etc., to be able to tell more about a person than what comes out of their mouths. However, very few people believe me when I tell them what I think someone who just passed was really thinking (though I do find I'm almost always right when I later get to know exactly how that person was thinking/feeling at the time).
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Indefinite Integral

Katya wrote:
Indefinite Integral wrote:Now, with that over, I'm going to go make another generalization. I think you can tell a lot about someone by what instrument they play (if they play one). Even though the stereotypes are somewhat ridiculous, it is amazing how much you can learn about someone just by learning that they play the clarinet, for example.
Piano, organ, and recorder. What does that say about me?
Disclaimer: As I said above there are always exceptions to generalizations. So, no taking offense at what I say. Feel free to disagree with me.

Piano, organ and recorder? Hmm....that's a toughie. I'd say you're fairly dedicated, because you took time to learn organ in addition to the piano, but not crazy because you never made it to a "performance ensemble" instrument (this statement could be negated by you being a virtuoso on any of the aforementioned instruments). The fact that you listed recorder tells me you just want to throw me off, because, really, it's a recorder. Unless you play something other than the plastic version you get in 4th grade.

I'm really much better with "performance ensemble" instruments, I've spent more time around them. There are so many people that play the instruments you mentioned that it is a bit harder to get a definite picture. I'd tell you more if I got to hear you play a couple of your favorite pieces. That's the second part of the puzzle.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Can you tell a lot about someone from knowing they sing?

What about guitar and tin whistle? And, yes, real recorder? ; )
Indefinite Integral

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Can you tell a lot about someone from knowing they sing?

What about guitar and tin whistle? And, yes, real recorder? ; )
Question: how dedicated of a singer? Are we talking going to ward choir once in a while, or classically trained vocalist? Either way, I won't get anywhere near as much information from that as I would from instruments. On the other hand, knowing what you sing might be more informative. I haven't pondered the idea of categorizing vocalists very much, so this is all off the top of my head.

Now, just as a reminder-
Indefinite Integral wrote: Disclaimer: As I said above there are always exceptions to generalizations. So, no taking offense at what I say. Feel free to disagree with me.
Given that, guitar, tin whistle and real recorder: Guitar is an instrument with such a wide range. I don't think I could give any sort of accurate analysis without knowing what type of guitar playing you typically do. If anything it says that you're not too flashy (unless you play electric guitar, that's a completely different story) and enjoy being around/entertaining others. Guitar is a more social instrument. The tin whistle and real recorder say to me that you're quirky. You like things that aren't so mainstream. This equates in my mind to someone who is either 1) Laid back and totally awesome or 2) Socially inept. I don't know which without more information.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Must say, I'm intrigued at the number of shoe comments. I'm with vorpal on that one, save it is my sister that has picked out (or vocal approvement of) each pair of shoes purchased since 2003 (both of them).

Like RP said, first webpage choice would be interesting, or even more informative: a complete online history. Email would rarely make the list for me, unless I'm expecting something.

Choices made in spare time would be informative, but even moreso in my opinion would be things that they alter their schedual for. What TV shows they work into their schedule (or TVo/download I guess) is pretty significant in my eyes. Perhaps more accurate would be what they turn to for self-entertainment. Someone who is dyslexic might not care for reading, but fill their spare time with similiarly engaging material.
habiba

Post by habiba »

I tend to categorize people by their music and movie/tv preferences. It seems to be a pretty good measure of personality compatibility.

I think that not only the way people treat service workers such as waiters, but also the way they order their food and how they eat it says a lot. I work at a restaurant at the counter, and it's amazing how much you can tell about people by what and how they order, and how much you can tell about a family or couple by how they interact while eating.

How people treat their mothers and/or younger siblings usually says a lot as well.
allahu akbar
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

To the people who said you can learn a lot by looking at how well kept the bathroom and living room is: bah humbug. Mine says "I have toddlers and no time to clean".
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote:To the people who said you can learn a lot by looking at how well kept the bathroom and living room is: bah humbug. Mine says "I have toddlers and no time to clean".
But I think that does say a lot about a person. I've known families that had perfect living rooms and their kids weren't allowed to be kids. I love walking into a living room that's less than perfect, I find myself much more at ease there than in a perfect living room.