Wedding dresses

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Imogen
Picky Interloper

Re: Wedding dresses

Post by Imogen »

the store goes into panic mode because getting the dress in can take up to 6 weeks, and alterations can take several months. and if the dress has beading on it, alterations are a nightmare. each bead has to be removed individually so that the fabric doesn't tear, and sometimes they have to reattach them after alterations are done. then take that process and multiply it by THOUSANDS of dresses. four months is not enough time. i had that done for my prom dress, and it took her a good 3 weeks to alter just the bust because of the beading. then she had to hem it, and that took another 2 weeks because of the fabric. thankfully, she only charged me 100 dollars for alterations. even my friend who bought the dress with no beading still bought it a year in advance so that it could get altered, and she was lucky enough to get the store sample (no wait for ordering). but getting your dress ordered and altered can take up to 6 months if you need a lot done to it, and some people need A LOT done to it.
beautiful, dirty, rich
The Wave

Post by The Wave »

I rented my dress from Gowns by Pamela (http://www.gownsbypamela.com), and I recommend it to anyone I know. They have a designer who designs all their dresses (they're not old, used dresses), and all of the dresses are two pieces so that you can customize the type of dress you want. You can also pick any type of sleeves you want on the dress. Additionally, the corset, veil, and alterations are included in the price, so that saves money over all. See http://www.gownsbypamela.com/faq/1-comm ... -vs-buying for a breakdown of the price.

If anyone reading this is getting married soon and lives in Utah, I definitely recommend checking out Gowns by Pamela!
FauxRaiden

Post by FauxRaiden »

I say skip the wedding altogether and grab a piece of paper from the courthouse. Then it's 100 bucks (or whatever it is for your license) and you're done.

Spend that money on an awesome honeymoon.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

FauxRaiden wrote:I say skip the wedding altogether and grab a piece of paper from the courthouse. Then it's 100 bucks (or whatever it is for your license) and you're done.

Spend that money on an awesome honeymoon.
Are licenses that expensive? Ours was $10. And our honeymoon was free at some great uncle's cabin in the mountains. You can save the expensive vacations for later...honeymoons don't need to cost much.
bismark
Old Man

Post by bismark »

My wife's wedding dress (it was her mom's dress and they attempted to alter it without actually measuring it on her) arrived a week before the wedding and was no where near close to fitting. Two days before the wedding my mom and her walked into one of the bridal stores in University Mall and found a really beautiful $150 dress that fit perfectly. I guess we got lucky.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I think the main reason I've always planned on buying my dress is that I have 4 sisters. I always planned on getting a dress that they would be okay with.

Then, of course, my other sister got married first. Now I just kind of have to hope I'll shrink a couple inches (and change other aspects of my body shape) to fit into it. Or buy one of my own and let my remaining sisters have two to choose from!