Random Ramblings and the Deathly Hallows

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
C is for
um Administrator

Re: Random Ramblings and the Deathly Hallows

Post by C is for »

Unit, I figured out that the reason you don't want to pursue this is because you have plans to leave Provo at some point in the future. I think that you should pursue it anyway. If he's worth keeping around (and if he thinks the same of you!) then you can change plans around.

But that's just what I think.

Love,
C is for Crispy like Cooked meat, who wishes someone would pine for her
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

My life has become incredibly confusing. And there's like one person I can ask for advice. NOT COOL, life.
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

C: I think that has a lot to do with it. As I start my second senior year, I'm not really sure I want to be dating a freshman. An older freshman for sure, he's my age, but still a freshman with three + years left of school.

yellow m&m: If you ever need to talk feel free to call or drop by.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Unit of Energy wrote:Tao,
I'm sorry to have broken your heart. It's not you I like.
Regretfully,
Unit
Heh, it is the random thread after all. My mood happened to fit it at the moment. Though I must say it was a little odd even for me to see my post and look up at the title bar...

*creepy*

On a more serious note, I'd just say that it has been my observation that there is a greater chance to regret a failed opportunity at a relationship than a relationship that turns out less than ideal. You see more "I should have..."s than "I shouldn't have..."s (With the obvious caveat being breaking boundaries; the regret index is quite the inverse there.)

At the risk of sounding hedonistic (or worse, objectivistic): at our time in life, doing what truly makes you happiest pays tenfold dividends in the future, one way or another.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Tao wrote: ..At the risk of sounding hedonistic (or worse, objectivistic): ...
Wait, objectivistic is worse? (I'm assuming here that what you mean is philosophical realism) Since when is being governed by logic independent of human frailty worse than blindly following physical desire?
Deus ab veritas
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Marduk wrote:
Wait, objectivistic is worse? (I'm assuming here that what you mean is philosophical realism) Since when is being governed by logic independent of human frailty worse than blindly following physical desire?
I'm going to go to bed before one of you thinks up another way to get us killed. Or worse--expelled.
Tao

Post by Tao »

Marduk wrote:
Close, but I was shooting at Objectivism.

While I admire the stated intent, the more I learn of Objectivism, the more I grow to dislike Ayn Rand. This doesn't mean I disagree with all of Objectivism, nor do I endorse hedonism, far from it. But I must say I find it very similar to the differences between teaching an atheist and a born-again-Christian who is more than willing to tell you what you believe and why you're going to hell for it. Give me the atheist any day. They tend to be more Christ-like anyway, without trying.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Gimgimno wrote:
Marduk wrote:
I'm going to go to bed before one of you thinks up another way to get us killed. Or worse--expelled.
You need to sort out your priorities!
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

I definitely need to sort out my priorities. I'm up at 5:30 every day. And I usually don't get to sleep until about 12:30 every night.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

So I went out with 3D tonight. It was a blind date, so he didn't know who he was picking up. My roommates tell me that his face lit up when the one told him he was picking me up.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Once again 3d is over. My roommate decided to have a star wars marathon and invited his apartment over. One of our friends has decided that I should set a goal to be dating him by the end of the month. I'm sorry for taking over the random thread, but I can't use facebook due to him being my friend on facebook.
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

That's ok Unit. Even though I've never met you in person I support your efforts!
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Goodness. I enjoy hearing about this.

And I think that's a great goal. : )
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Now I just have one question. How does one go about bringing up dating? We've had conversations covering all sorts of topics, but I'm not entirely sure how to bring up the subject. I'm just at a point that I have to know where this is going, and either way will be better that the daily hanging out for hours on end.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Unit of Energy wrote:Now I just have one question. How does one go about bringing up dating? We've had conversations covering all sorts of topics, but I'm not entirely sure how to bring up the subject. I'm just at a point that I have to know where this is going, and either way will be better that the daily hanging out for hours on end.
Goodness, you sound like me when I started dating my fiance. He kept asking me out, and I kept getting my hopes up. But he never did anything to initiate a relationship...no hand holding, no real hugs (he was king of the side hug), no kissing, NOTHING. For me, it was a vicious cycle, because I had already decided that I definitely wanted to pursue a relationship with him. My impatience almost got the best of me. Pretty much, I had decided that if things didn't progress by the day I had in mind, I was going to stop hanging out with him because the window of opportunity was closing...I was starting to feel like he was just stringing me along. Was I going to talk to him about it? Heck no, that would be awkward!

Luckily, he cuddled with me, held my hand, and kissed me all in the same night...on the very day I was about to call it quits. If he hadn't done that, I probably would've cut him off altogether.

Moral of the story: don't drive yourself crazy with all this wondering because your impatience will eventually get the best of you. TALK TO HIM. It doesn't have to be an agonizingly awkward conversation. Just bring it up at the end of a date. Like, right when he's dropping you off at home...look at him and say something like, "(Dude's name here), what would you think about dating a girl like me?"

And the DTR ensues...

I don't know why DTRs are so hard for people. I've always hated them. In fact, I still hate them! Makes me feel like I'm pestering him, and I'm always afraid that things are going to turn out badly. But I now know (from experience!) that talking is about a bajillion times more effective than wondering all the time. And that's true of any relationship issue, whether it's expressing interest, defining the relationship, or resolving problems...talking is always a good option. Take courage, my friend.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

My opinion: short DTRs are my favorite and I think they worked the best for me. Example: "I'd like to just date you right now, are you okay with that?"
yellow m&m
The Yellow One

Post by yellow m&m »

I'm seeing my ex for the first time since we broke up. I still feel like we will get back together one day. I'm super nervous about this.

(ps. the reason I'm seeing him: it's his birthday, I mentioned on twitter that I have a present for him, he said that was nice, and he wants to meet up so I can give him his gift.)
Staple guns: because duct tape can't make that "kaCHUNK" noise
mic0

Post by mic0 »

@yellow m&m I ran into my ex-boyfriend, who I wrote to for half of his mission before it ended, at the bookstore about a week ago. It was the first time we saw each other since he got back -- so awkward! Ugh. Which is all to say, good luck, I know how you feel, and it will be better once you have the meeting behind you.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

I ran into a low clearance sign today. It caused a lot of damage. Topped by the rest of the bad luck I had this week, it's safe to say I need something funny... can anybody help?