Buried in Temple Clothing

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

wired

Buried in Temple Clothing

Post by wired »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/59165/

I'd be very interested to see how far back being buried in temple clothing goes. My immediate reaction is, "Well why wouldn't we be buried in those, it's an expression of our faith in the resurrection?" However, after thinking about it a little further, I decided that it might be a vestige of early masons who joined the Church and later migrated to Utah. Masons are also buried with their ritual clothing, so I could see mason-influenced members of the early Church thinking they should bury members in their ritual clothing.

Either way, I thought the answer was great.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Re: Buried in Temple Clothing

Post by Craig Jessop »

It's been at least since Brigham Young, and I know for certain that Wilford Woodruff had a similar request, and if my memory is correct Joseph and Hyrum were similarly dressed.

"I, Brigham Young, wish my funeral services to be conducted in the following manner:

When I breathe my last I wish my friends to put my body in as clean and wholesome state as can conveniently be done, and preserve the same for one, two, three or four days, or as long as my body can be preserved in a good condition... MY BODY DRESSED IN MY TEMPLE CLOTHING, and laid nicely into my coffin, and the coffin to have the appearance that if I wanted to turn a little to the right or to the left, I should have plenty of room to do so. The lid can be made crowning."

http://www.onlineutah.com/brighamyoung_ ... uest.shtml
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I've actually been wondering about this! Like, I was gonna ask a similar question. In The Other Side of Heaven they sent burial clothes over with the missionary, Just in Case. Which, to me, means that it's expected that endowed members are expected to be buried in temple clothing.

My question was more along the lines, though, of why are we buried in temple clothing where it's so visible, when everywhere else we keep them away from the public eye? I mean, even when I went to the distribution center to buy mine, they had them all back in another private room and they were all sold in non-transparent wrapping. So I've always thought that they weren't supposed to be seen by non-endowed people. Except at a funeral. It's just so… strange to me.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Dragon Lady wrote:So I've always thought that they weren't supposed to be seen by non-endowed people.
My bishop encouraged parents to show their kids the temple clothing right before they received their endowments. That's the only other exception that I know of.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

thebigcheese wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:So I've always thought that they weren't supposed to be seen by non-endowed people.
My bishop encouraged parents to show their kids the temple clothing right before they received their endowments. That's the only other exception that I know of.
Interesting. I suspect that this is something that's up to the local leadership, like so many other things. (At least, before I received my endowment I hadn't seen the ceremonial clothing, and I got the impression that that was the norm from my father, who's had his share of leadership callings (though he wasn't my bishop).)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

On the site I linked to in that response it said that if anybody is uncomfortable with having their own temple clothes shown at their funeral, or if the people directing the funeral are uncomfortable with it they can put something over the deceased during the viewing. I imagine it is okay in that context because it is an expression of the faith, but who knows. Tradition, maybe.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Since the endowment itself is one way of preparing to enter God's presence, it seems natural that you should wear the endowment's ceremonial clothing as you enter the next life. But maybe I'm way off base here.

(By the way, prior to my own sealing, nobody bothered to tell me that you wear the ceremonial clothing during sealings too. Totally caught me off guard on my wedding day.)
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

thebigcheese wrote:Since the endowment itself is one way of preparing to enter God's presence, it seems natural that you should wear the endowment's ceremonial clothing as you enter the next life. But maybe I'm way off base here.
I was going to say just about the same thing, so I don't think you're totally off base!
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

mic0 wrote:On the site I linked to in that response it said that if anybody is uncomfortable with having their own temple clothes shown at their funeral, or if the people directing the funeral are uncomfortable with it they can put something over the deceased during the viewing. I imagine it is okay in that context because it is an expression of the faith, but who knows. Tradition, maybe.
Okay, I've actually read the booklet the Church publishes on clothing the dead (yay for being the only English speaking member of a branch presidency when a member dies and lack of preparation from inexperienced, Spanish speaking leaders!). From personal experience at Pres. Hinckley's viewing, he was dressed in the whole get up, but, per the booklet, the more colorful parts were covered with a simple white blanket and another potentially distracting part of the clothing was laid next to him on the pillow. He was dressed in his white clothing, with -- other than what I've already mentioned -- everything arranged just as is described in the endowment ceremony.

Having read the booklet (it's only two pages long, printed on cardstock, with a lame little floral pattern on the front), I can testify that it puts quite specifically into writing how to dress the deceased according to the temple pattern, then says that things can be tastefully arranged -- as they were with Pres. Hinckley -- and put into their proper place, and exposed just before the casket is closed.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Have any of you participated in dressing a body in temple clothing? I remember my dad leaving to help a few times when he was bishop, but that was a long time ago.

(vorpal, I'm kind of looking at you when I ask this, because I assume you have and I'm curious what that's like)
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

This topic hits close to home for me, having attended the funerals this past year of several of my friends, my sister-in-law, two aunts, my father-in-law, and my mother. I’ll tell you what I know about dressing the body for burial and the viewing. I have not personally participated in dressing a body in temple clothing, though my wife has, being the Relief Society president.

The bishop notifies the Melchizedek Priesthood leader who is responsible for the family so he and other brethren (including home teachers) can assist the bereaved family. Such assistance could include dressing the body of a deceased male for burial.

The bishop also notifies the Relief Society president so she and other sisters (including visiting teachers) can assist the family. Such assistance could include dressing the body of a deceased female for burial.

Where possible, endowed members should be buried in temple clothing when they die. Where cultural traditions or burial practices make this inappropriate or difficult, the clothing may be folded and placed next to the body in the casket.

Only members who have been endowed may be buried in temple clothing. An endowed person who stopped wearing the garment before his or her death may be buried n temple clothing if the family so requests. An endowed person who has committed suicide may be buried in temple clothing. However, persons whose blessings have not been restored after excommunication or name removal may not be buried in temple clothing.

A member who is to be buried in temple clothing may be dressed by an endowed family member of the same gender. If a family member is not available, the bishop assigns an endowed man to dress a deceased man. The bishop asks the Relief Society president to assign an endowed woman to dress a deceased woman. Guidelines for dressing deceased members are provided in Instructions for Clothing the Dead Who Have Received Their Endowments. Leaders may obtain these instructions from Church distribution centers.

In some areas only a licensed funeral director or an employee of the director is allowed to handle a deceased body. In these cases, an endowed family member or an endowed person who is assigned by the bishop or Relief Society president should ensure that the clothing has been properly placed on the body.

Although the Church does not normally encourage cremation, the body of an endowed member who is being cremated should be dressed in temple clothing if possible.

In areas where temple clothing may be difficult to obtain in time for burial, stake presidents should keep on hand at least two complete sets of medium-sized clothing, one for a man and one for a woman.

If temple clothing is not available, a deceased endowed member is clothed for burial in the garment and other suitable clothing.

An open casket viewing is optional. If a viewing is held immediately before the funeral service, the bishop should conclude it at least 20 minutes before the service begins. The obituary should include the times when the viewing will begin and end. The casket should be closed before it is moved to the chapel for the funeral services.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Vorpal, did you get that directly out of the Handbook? It seems I've read those exact words before...
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Craig Jessop,

The first paragraph is mine, of course. The sentence "An open casket viewing is optional" is my summation. The rest - I'm not sure I have the authority to quote word for word and cite the source. You are right, those aren't my words.
OptimusPrime

Post by OptimusPrime »

Gimgimno wrote:Have any of you participated in dressing a body in temple clothing? I remember my dad leaving to help a few times when he was bishop, but that was a long time ago.
I can't answer for the tradition or doctrine, but I have participated in dressing a body in temple clothing. Physically, it is an interesting challenge because dead bodies do not bend in the same ways and after being horizontal for some time, clothes do not fit the same as they would on an upright person. Also, dead bodies are notably less cooperative than live ones, and heavier than you think. We were barely able to get his pants fastened, and we ended up cutting a slit in the back of his shirt collar in order to completely button it up.

The temple clothing itself is relatively easy to put on, though as stated above, we left off certain aspects for the viewing and replaced them in private before closing the casket. It should also be noted that many coffins have a half-opening top, so it is pretty easy to hide the majority of the temple clothing.

All in all, it was a much better experience than I ever imagined it could be. Don't pass it up if you have the opportunity to do it for someone close to you.