Random Maids a'Milking!

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Re: Random Maids a'Milking!

Post by thebigcheese »

Yeah, I don't know what the right way would be. I'd never tried them until me and my husband got all experimental last night. We just steamed the thing (with garlic and lemon juice in the water) for 35 minutes or so, dipped the leaves in butter, and sucked/ripped the white stuff off each leaf with our teeth. We also stripped the thing down to its heart, but by that point, we were both so disgusted by it that we didn't even want to try the heart.

If you've got a better way, I'd like to hear it.
Darth Fedora

Post by Darth Fedora »

ahem. wrote:I kind of feel like this is needlessly vindictive.
What. I cannot imagine being so annoyed by anything that I would go through all that effort to not even solve the actual problem. Ridiculous.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

The funny thing is, you can just do this to opt-out of all pre-approved credit card offers for five years. I haven't gotten a credit card offer in the mail in YEARS. Less vindictive, but way easier and way better.
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

I want to get pomegranates or apples from the co-op this week, but cannot think of how I would use 25 lbs of pomegranates or over a hundred apples.

:(
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

ahem. wrote:I want to get pomegranates or apples from the co-op this week, but cannot think of how I would use 25 lbs of pomegranates or over a hundred apples.

Get a juicer for the pomegranate and make pomegranate juice and/or jelly! As for the apples, make and can applesauce or apple pie filling! Mmmm.

You're not around Utah Valley anymore, are you? Cuz if you are, I'd offer to help with the apples. (I don't have a juicer for the pomegranates. But I'd eat one or two of them for you.)
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

thebigcheese wrote:Ouch. That doesn't sound good. And...how did it rain in your living room?
We leave the windows open most of the time because we don't have air conditioning. The roof has pretty wide eaves (is that the right word?) so usually it's not a problem when it rains, but last night while we were all out there were really high winds that blew straight into the living room ...
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

ahem. wrote:I want to get pomegranates or apples from the co-op this week, but cannot think of how I would use 25 lbs of pomegranates or over a hundred apples.

Are you a Bountiful Basket person? Or a different co-op?
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Yes, Bountiful Baskets. I only do it on occasion, though, because it's just my sister and I and we have a hard time getting through everything before it starts going bad. I just get tempted when they have cases of delicious things. Which would just add even MORE on top of the already overwhelming amount of produce. So I probably will not be buying cases of awesome things to can and sauce and juice.

Also, I just got a cardboard paper-cut.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

Yeah, me and my husband have that problem too. We've been getting their baskets about every two weeks, and some of it ends up going bad because we just can't eat it that fast. We have like six onions in our house, two huge bunches of celery, and I've eaten so many apples lately, it's ridiculous...I just threw away one of our red bell peppers because of mold (and I was extremely sad about it because I love those). But I must say that the kiwis from two weeks ago are still AMAZING! I love kiwis.

I was also tempted by the enormous cases of fruit, especially the pomegranates...but seriously, that's a TON of fruit. We're hoping that they might throw a few pomegranates in the baskets this week though! Fingers crossed!
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!! I'm now 25 and in my mid-twenties. wooooooooooo!!!!
beautiful, dirty, rich
Tao

Post by Tao »

Happy day! 25 is a good age.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Happy birthday Imogen!!!!!!!!
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

I moved the dishwasher discussion here so it wouldn't completely take over the random thread.

Cheers.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

And it came to pass that I, Dead Cat, had no more disposition to do homework, but to not do homework continually.

Mosiah's Cat 5:2
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I finished making my costumes for my kids! Hooray! They are Woody and Jesse this year. Only, my son sees the cow print vest and thinks he is pretending to be a cow. So he's a Woody that says "MOO!"

What are you guys going to be for Halloween?
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

My goal is to not spend any money on costumes this year, and so far so good. My son is going to be a dinosaur; his costume is about halfway done. I'm not sure what my daughter is going to be yet, but possibly Batgirl. Sauron, since he's bearded and pretty shaggy-headed at the moment, is going to be Tom Hanks from Castaway. And I'm going to be Wilson.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

krebscout wrote:And I'm going to be Wilson.
?

You could be a dentist named Spalding.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Today I got called "machu-nne" -- that's "four-eyes" in Swahili. I'm having macaronic flashbacks to fifth grade.
thebigcheese
Someone's Favorite

Post by thebigcheese »

I hope you got a basket this week, ahem. Mine has several pomegranates AND granny smith apples (and a little pineapple, which I wasn't ever expecting to see)!
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

We have six pomegranate bushes (some 15 feet tall) and make fifty or so quarts of pomegranate juice every year. We freeze the juice. If you want really clear juice you should filter it. We used to make jelly, but couldn't use it up fast enough in a year. The jelly lasts a couple of years on the shelf, and you don't have to have freezer space for it. It takes a lot of time to shell the pomegranates. We use a centrifugal juicer to separate out the juice.