#61279 - Best of 2010

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

stargirl

#61279 - Best of 2010

Post by stargirl »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/61279/

Wow, i don't think i've ever once disagreed with Commander Keen on music matters. Up to now, it has seemed that our tastes are exactly the same. But i don't get why he and Eirene think This Is Happening is really the best album released this past year. I mean, i've listened to it a few times through, and i definitely enjoy and appreciate it, but i don't think i'd call it the best of the whole year. (I haven't listened to The Age of Adz, so i can't give an opinion on that one.)

Then again, i'm not really sure which album i would call the best of the whole year, even with the help of this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_al ... ed_in_2010. And hey, since Eirene did say "in your opinion," it is more of a "favorite" than a "best" question. No hard feelings, CK?

Anyway, i'm interested to hear what everyone else liked best of 2010. So…yeah, you guys: go for it!
"She was illusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."
UnluckyStuntman

Re: #61279 - Best of 2010

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

My favorite album of 2010 was easily Li(f)e by Sage Francis. I have that thing on repeat in my car...

And now that I'm thinking about it, I feel the need to to give Gorillaz - Plastic Beach an honorable mention.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I was proud of myself for recognizing so many artists on that list! Unfortunately, the only album there that I've even listened to is Taylor Swift's Speak Now. Which is definitely not my favorite, nor the best.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs (example)
Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (example)
GRUM - Heartbeats (example)

My recent obsession:
Janelle Monáe - The ArchAndroid (example)

Lots more but I can't think of them at the moment.
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
wired

Post by wired »

I don't know how I missed that Arcade Fire released a new album... it is incredible. GrooveShark is your friend.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

AAAAND Cognoscente loses all credibility for including Kanye West on the list.
Deus ab veritas
stargirl

Post by stargirl »

Marduk wrote:AAAAND Cognoscente loses all credibility for including Kanye West on the list.
Hey, don't knock Kanye. That album still has 93% on Metacritic. ( http://www.metacritic.com/music/my-beau ... ed-fantasy ) That means out of ALL the critics who reviewed it, only 7% disliked it even a little (this style of scoring doesn't indicate whether they were closer to "meh" or "I HATE THIS MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THE WHOLE WORLD"––even a "meh" counts as negative). And i can't say for certain, but my guess is that since this album opened with 100% (it was down to 96% by Christmas Eve), at least some of those negative reviews were from the type of people that would say they disliked it just because everyone else likes it. Now, i'm not saying that just because something is widely liked means it's automatically awesome, but that is an extremely high approval rating from lots of people who take music seriously.
"She was illusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Actually, Metacritic works differently than Rottentomatoes—a 93% on metacritic is much stronger than a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes because reviews are translated into percentages.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

Best Album: MGMT - Congratulations
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:Actually, Metacritic works differently than Rottentomatoes—a 93% on metacritic is much stronger than a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes because reviews are translated into percentages.
That's interesting, because a high RT rating can mean that everyone liked it a little, but no one loved it. (So maybe RT's high ratings should be translated as more of a broad appeal than necessarily anyone's favorite.)
stargirl

Post by stargirl »

Waldorf and Sauron wrote:Actually, Metacritic works differently than Rottentomatoes—a 93% on metacritic is much stronger than a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes because reviews are translated into percentages.
O RLY? I thought it was just like RT. Well, even better for Kanye!

P.S. When i said "don't knock Kanye" i meant his music. You can mock him as person all you wan––I'MMA LET YOU FINISH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKIcrDsJAs
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

Have you listened to the album, Marduk? The man as a person is a jackass. As a producer, musician, and rapper, he's astonishing. The album is part braggadocio and part painful introspection. It's worth a listen, even if you aren't into rap. And if you are, the Roots album out this year was really good too.
UnluckyStuntman

I'm with Marduk - I don't care much for Kayne personally, or for his music. The only exception I've found to this is his song Runaway, which I enjoyed mostly because of the music video (the short version with the scene at the table, not the 35 minute one).
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

For the record, I don't like Lady Gaga either.
Deus ab veritas
UnluckyStuntman

Marduk wrote:For the record, I don't like Lady Gaga either.
I am totally okay with that.
Cognoscente

Post by Cognoscente »

UnluckyStuntman

Cognoscente wrote:Luckily, Kanye doesn't need your esteem anymore.
Thank goodness, I know Marduk was really worried about that.