Leggings question

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheAnswerIs42

Leggings question

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Marduk edit: this is question 61716, for reference
I'm just confused about one thing: why did Rating Pending tell Hypatia "Why don't you lay off"? The Board has always gotten after people who use their "question" just to rant about some issue instead of actually asking a question. This is important, or else the Board will disintegrate into comments beneath YouTube videos. And while RP was right - there was a question hidden in there, disguised as a sentence - Hypatia's point that actual answerable questions are preferred is still valid. Telling her to lay off seemed harsh to me. Or am I missing something?
UnluckyStuntman

Re: Leggings question

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

I thought Hypatia's answer was pretty fair, actually, so I'm with you 42 - RP's response seemed a bit harsh.
UnluckyStuntman

On second thought, I struggle to maintain my objectivity when it comes to honor code "infractions," so perhaps I am not the best judge of what a fair answer is.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I also don't really think it was fair to tell Hypatia to lay off, but it smacks of something going on of which we are not aware, so I'll refrain from judgement.
Deus ab veritas
Tao

Post by Tao »

Aye, I think Marduk has it spot on; and if my reading is correct, there has been some editing to prevent any more confusion.
He who knows others is clever;
He who knows himself has discernment.
He who overcomes others has force;
He who overcomes himself is strong. 33:1-4
wired

Post by wired »

Yeah, looks like Rating Pending (or the editors) pulled the question and re-posted it with a more family friendly reply.
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Aaaaaw! You guys! I thought all the readers hated me!

Okay, maybe I need to be a bit more sensitive...I really wasn't offended by RP's first response. Turns out he was making a little jokey joke (did anyone notice that while "Why don't you lay off." was a question, it was both rhetorical and ended in a period? Just like the question asker's quesion? GET IT?!)

Anyway, don't worry, there is LOADS of drama between RP and myself. We are declared Board Enemies (Boardamies for those in the know). I'm sorry our continued hatred of each other spilled over to an answer.

Also, if I die in the near future, EVEN IF THERE IS A SUICIDE NOTE, it was murder. By Rating Pending.

- H
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

lol
UnluckyStuntman

I've never understood why leggings are more offensive to the eyes (and soul, apparently) than skinny jeans. Anyone care to explain?
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

UnluckyStuntman wrote:I've never understood why leggings are more offensive to the eyes (and soul, apparently) than skinny jeans. Anyone care to explain?
I can't explain all leggings, but the ones with big stripes of bright colors are just awful. They make the wearer look like something out of Dr. Seuss.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

UnluckyStuntman wrote:I've never understood why leggings are more offensive to the eyes (and soul, apparently) than skinny jeans. Anyone care to explain?
I can't explain it. And while I definitely agree that tights are not pants, I think if someone is so sexually frustrated that they get excited and can't deal with it when they see a girl wearing leggings with parts above their knee showing, then maybe they just need to join a monastery. Seriously, most people who try to rock the leggings-as-pants look are fat enough (as a fat person I hearby decree that it's acceptable to say the word fat) that their legs look like sausages and there's usually some jiggling going on. I don't understand how that's hot. Nobody looks good like that. It either makes them look fat, or if they're skinny enough that it doesn't, it makes them look bad-skinny.

By the way, tirades about modesty at BYU make me really ranty. Were any of you around for the single-strap backpack fiasco of '01? (or maybe '00 or '02 - but it was sometime back then.) That was the best ever. And one time I wrote a letter to the editor after someone wrote a tirade about tankinis being a way for girls to sneakily break the swimsuit rules. I pointed out that the reason we wear tankinis is because you can get them with shorts and they come up high in the back, and some of us care more about not having side boobs popping out than accidentally showing our belly buttons if the top floats up a bit while swimming.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

NerdGirl wrote:By the way, tirades about modesty at BYU make me really ranty. Were any of you around for the single-strap backpack fiasco of '01? (or maybe '00 or '02 - but it was sometime back then.) That was the best ever.
:lol: I do remember that! Ah, uptight little BYU students.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Katya took the words out of my mouth. Ahh, the memories of judgemental idiots. The single strap backpack episode was especially pathetic.

And really, there isn't any difference (to me) between super skinny jeans and leggings. Unless you have the mildly see-through variety of leggings.
I think if someone is so sexually frustrated that they get excited and can't deal with it when they see a girl wearing leggings with parts above their knee showing, then maybe they just need to join a monastery.
Amen, sista. I mean, obviously BYU is a sexually frustrated land - much more so than other colleges that lack actual virgins - but . . . some people need to just take some deep breaths sometimes.
stargirl

Post by stargirl »

I just want to second (or third or whatever) everything that has already been said here.
:)
"She was illusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."
UnluckyStuntman

Laser Jock wrote:
I can't explain all leggings, but the ones with big stripes of bright colors are just awful. They make the wearer look like something out of Dr. Seuss.
Ah, man, this just made my day. I will be thinking about Dr. Seuss tomorrow during sacrament meeting, so thanks for that.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

This is why BYU should return to its policy of only allowing girls to wear skirts or dresses.
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:This is why BYU should return to its policy of only allowing girls to wear skirts or dresses.
And why BYU should never change its policy on facial hair. Beards are just too distractingly manly.
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Since short skirts with leggings are so detestable...if I just wore the short skirt with nothing else, I should be fine, right? Right?

Right?

Oh, and by "nothing else" I meant "nothing else ON MY LEGS." I do not condone toplessness on campus.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I condone it.

I condone the heck out of it.

For me.
Deus ab veritas
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »