What about Bob?

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

melbabi

What about Bob?

Post by melbabi »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/62121/

I LOVE this movie!!! I actually just watched it two weeks ago. But I do disagree with some of mico's diagnosis'. Just as a sidenote, no I am not a professional counselor, yet. (I will be in May though!) So while I have been doing diagnosing at my internship, I am still learning so these are just thoughts.

Dr. Marvin does not appear paranoid, this would have been manifest with others in his life as well, not just with Bob. I've seen someone with Paranoid Personality Disorder and they believed that everyone, specifically the police, were out to get them. It seems to me that Leo has several traits of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Bob, I think was well diagnosed. I was thinking of adding Histrionic Personality Disorder though.

Faye, I think she has tendencies of Dependent Personality Disorder. This goes with her husband being Narcissistic. Many people who have significant other's with narcissism have dependent.

The kids, I completely disagree with mico but she did say she didn't actually think they had any disorders so I'll just refer back to that. :)

Does anyone else have any thoughts? Unlucky Stuntman, and TBS, I would especially love to hear your thoughts, hint hint! :)
Alas! When passion is both meek and wild!
-John Keats
mic0

Re: What about Bob?

Post by mic0 »

1. I'm not in psychology at all.
2. I don't think anyone besides Bob/Leo have any issues.
3. I think everyone in the movie disregards Leo, and he isn't really paranoid. But other characters seem to think he is. Maybe not in the technical sense, but in a more general way.

Anyway, just wanted to defend myself a bit there. :D It's all in good fun. I like your diagnosis for Faye, that's probably more right.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:Anyway, just wanted to defend myself a bit there. :D
This is the Board Hate Board! You must battle to the death with any detractors!
melbabi

Post by melbabi »

mico, I think you're right that Leo is disregarded and that in a general way he is paranoid. Just not in the DSM sense. :) Anyway, I hope I didn't offend you at all! That was not my intent, I promise. My intent was to get more input on what other's thoughts were and to add my own as well.
Alas! When passion is both meek and wild!
-John Keats
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

melbabi wrote: Does anyone else have any thoughts? Unlucky Stuntman, and TBS, I would especially love to hear your thoughts, hint hint! :)
I have never actually seen the whole movie all the way through, and its not an option for instant watch on Netflix. Sad day. I'll just have to agree with ... uh... whatever TBS says. Lol.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Uhm, I have only seen it once and it was years ago, and my pre-master's behind doesn't want to embarrass itself. I am intrigued, though, so I'll watch and get back to you.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Sorry to interrupt you, but whenever I see this thread, I think "Yeah, what about me?"
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I have it if anyone wants to borrow it.