to degree or not to degree

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

to degree or not to degree

Post by Portia »

Edit: thanks for the thoughts, everyone. I've deleted my origial post for the sake of privacy, but if you have burningly strong feelings on finishing BAs, chime in.
Last edited by Portia on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yarjka

Re: to degree or not to degree

Post by Yarjka »

If you enjoy school, I say go for the advanced degree. Even if you don't get into the top-tier, you can still have a good experience and begin to apply for better jobs when you're through. I'd go to whichever program will give you more funding.

The letter of intent/statement of purpose seems to be the most important part of the application, so write an awesome one.
Rifka

Post by Rifka »

Portia wrote:and yes, I've tried to get into the "MRS" field, with mixed success ;)
I'm curious-- how do you get into the MRS field with "mixed success"?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Rifka wrote:
Portia wrote:and yes, I've tried to get into the "MRS" field, with mixed success ;)
I'm curious-- how do you get into the MRS field with "mixed success"?
I think a diamond ring but no certificate could qualify. LOL :P
Portia

Post by Portia »

Yarjka wrote:If you enjoy school, I say go for the advanced degree. Even if you don't get into the top-tier, you can still have a good experience and begin to apply for better jobs when you're through. I'd go to whichever program will give you more funding.

The letter of intent/statement of purpose seems to be the most important part of the application, so write an awesome one.
See, I already applied (and was accepted!) years ago to the U. My idi-, er, naive self assumed that some sort of funding would be easily secured, but hello recession, state schools don't have millions of dollars in endowments they just want to throw at me.

So it's like "I'm at an OK program" AND "I have to go into debt." Yuck.
Digit

Post by Digit »

If you had connections in addition to your apparently great writing skills, I bet ghostwriting is a field with high dollar income potential.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Digit wrote:If you had connections in addition to your apparently great writing skills, I bet ghostwriting is a field with high dollar income potential.
And write "Heaven is Really for Real" and "Sarah Palin: Armed and Fabulous"?! :P

Thanks for the compliment; too bad computers aren't NYC editors, eh? ;)
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Post by TheBlackSheep »

What would I do? NOT GO BACK TO BYU.

Folks, you know I love you, and I am friendly and loving to Mormons, but BYU is not going to be a fun experience for you to re-experience. I'm judging this from some of your contributions on this Board.

This is the most forceful advice I've ever given to anybody. But ain't no reason to get more angsty than you have to be.