Both
11%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 9

Defy V

Encore ideas

Post by Defy V »

I've gotten a couple suggestions for Encore topics from various people, and I'm not really inclined one way or another, so I'll leave the votes to all of you.

Occupation -- must include an occupation in the 8 words
Songs villains sing -- must have at least 8 words of a song a villain sings in a play or movie
Rifka

Re: Encore ideas

Post by Rifka »

I think Songs Villains Sing sounds more exciting, but occupations would probably be harder. I voted Villains on the official poll, but I'd be happy either way.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Rifka wrote:I think Songs Villains Sing sounds more exciting, but occupations would probably be harder. I voted Villains on the official poll, but I'd be happy either way.
Ditto. I don't think I should say how many villian songs I've already thought of. Just know it's a lot.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I might even make it one round in this one! Two if I'm lucky. (But if anyone takes my villain song before I do, I will be very, very, very angry.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Syntactically lost, here.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:Syntactically lost, here.
Encore = a game where people think of songs that fit a given theme. Does that help?
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Okay, I've played the brainstorm game with both topics and both have the distinct possibility of having lots and lots of songs. That said, it seems to me like it would be a good idea to put limits on the songs like "the villian must sing the eight words," "the villain must be the main singer of the song," "one song per villain," "the villian must be unambiguously evil for the whole story," etc. If we end up doing occupations, such limits could be, "occupation must be in the context of the song," "occupation X can only be used n time(s)," or something else I haven't thought of.

In any case, I'm probably going to do two submissions per day this next round.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Portia

Post by Portia »

So songs that would fit the category would be "Be Prepared" and the incredibly obscure "Charlie, Take It From Here!"?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia, I would recommend reading through a couple of old Encore threads to see how it works. To see a game in "action," if you will. (Even though it is no longer in action.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:Okay, I've played the brainstorm game with both topics and both have the distinct possibility of having lots and lots of songs. That said, it seems to me like it would be a good idea to put limits on the songs like "the villian must sing the eight words," "the villain must be the main singer of the song," "one song per villain," "the villian must be unambiguously evil for the whole story," etc. If we end up doing occupations, such limits could be, "occupation must be in the context of the song," "occupation X can only be used n time(s)," or something else I haven't thought of.

I think that the definition of who counts as a villain is going to be the most problematic gray area of that theme, so I like the "unambiguously evil" limitation. (I also like the "villain sings the eight words" limitation, because I'd more or less assumed that was how it would work. I can take or leave the other two.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Portia wrote:So songs that would fit the category would be "Be Prepared" and the incredibly obscure "Charlie, Take It From Here!"?
Yes to the first, can't speak to the second because of the "incredibly obscure" issue.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

I definitely do not vote for "songs villains sing" theme, as my songs come from song artists, not from musicals or plays. So if you choose that topic, I'm pretty much eliminated. Of course, there have been topics I've chosen which I personally had a dozen plus songs, and almost no one else could come up with ANYTHING. So perhaps it wouldn't be so bad for everyone else to play a round without me.
Deus ab veritas
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Katya wrote:
Dead Cat wrote:Okay, I've played the brainstorm game with both topics and both have the distinct possibility of having lots and lots of songs. That said, it seems to me like it would be a good idea to put limits on the songs like "the villian must sing the eight words," "the villain must be the main singer of the song," "one song per villain," "the villian must be unambiguously evil for the whole story," etc. If we end up doing occupations, such limits could be, "occupation must be in the context of the song," "occupation X can only be used n time(s)," or something else I haven't thought of.

I think that the definition of who counts as a villain is going to be the most problematic gray area of that theme, so I like the "unambiguously evil" limitation. (I also like the "villain sings the eight words" limitation, because I'd more or less assumed that was how it would work. I can take or leave the other two.)
The whole bit on limiting the number of times a villain sings a song came from me thinking of what is now over a dozen songs by one villain--extra credit points from my heart if you can guess who it is. The one about it being a song mainly by the villain doesn't matter if there already enough limitations.

--Jasper Fforde
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Marduk wrote:I definitely do not vote for "songs villains sing" theme, as my songs come from song artists, not from musicals or plays. So if you choose that topic, I'm pretty much eliminated. Of course, there have been topics I've chosen which I personally had a dozen plus songs, and almost no one else could come up with ANYTHING. So perhaps it wouldn't be so bad for everyone else to play a round without me.
There are a few villains who do covers of popular songs out there, so it isn't completely hopeless if you can think of them.

--Jasper Fforde
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Dead Cat wrote:
Katya wrote:

The whole bit on limiting the number of times a villain sings a song came from me thinking of what is now over a dozen songs by one villain--extra credit points from my heart if you can guess who it is. The one about it being a song mainly by the villain doesn't matter if there already enough limitations.
Doof? (Or whatever he's called. The only Phineas and Ferb I've ever seen is the movie.)
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

C is for wrote:Doof? (Or whatever he's called. The only Phineas and Ferb I've ever seen is the movie.)
Got it in one. Doof, Doofenshmirtz, Heinz, or whatever you wish to call him, has got a bazillion songs and I know I haven't thought of them all.

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Dead Cat wrote:
Katya wrote:

It sounds like one song per villain might be a good idea, then.