Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Dragon Lady

Re: Nine for Random Chatter, doomed to die

Post by Dragon Lady »

I have a recipe somewhere for spinach in brownies. Once they're cool, you can't taste it at all. And they're quite tasty. So if you wanted to sneak some spinach into your kids diet (but maybe they'll eat it anyway?) I could find it for you. But… I believe it calls for frozen spinach. So maybe this isn't so pertinent.

Did you ever try Yellow's mom's Spinach Salad with mandarin oranges and craisins and poppyseed dressing?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

I love green eggs and ham. Seriously though, I just cook the spinach and then blend it up a bit, then mix it into scrambled eggs.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Add handfuls of it to vegetable soup, or wilt a bunch of it and use it to top off a cheese sandwich.
Wisteria

Post by Wisteria »

Also, I dug up the rest of the carrots and beets and a lot of tomatoes and some of the peppers and boiled it all up in a pot and blended it and it's pretty yummy soup.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Nuts, I knew I shouldn't have deleted that spam e-mail! Now how will I ever enjoy the benefits of being an AARP member?!
Deus ab veritas
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Took a language proficiency test over the phone today. At one point he asked me if I could describe my route to school. I replied (in Chinese, obviously), "Haha, I wish I could but I have no idea how to say that. It's really an easy ride, but I can't say it." It was funny to me... maybe because I have a cold and am a little delusional. :P
Digit

Post by Digit »

I just found lulu.com and started a book project and got myself an ISBN number. I'm going to write a math textbook the way I always thought one should have been written and buy a copy just so I can hold in my hand a book written by [Digit] :) Who knows, after I put it on the Lulu marketplace and on Amazon (they can do that), maybe one other person in the world will actually find it and buy it too. I doubt that, but the part about me having my own book pleases me.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Marduk wrote:Nuts, I knew I shouldn't have deleted that spam e-mail! Now how will I ever enjoy the benefits of being an AARP member?!
I used to get applications in the mail all the time for AARP. They kept telling me I was fully qualified to join! (Yeah, except that I wasn't even half the required age…) I ignored them for awhile, but they kept coming. So finally I took their application, just filled in my birthday, circled the year in red, and sent it back. It took them another 3 years or so to send me another one. I haven't heard from them in awhile, but it is common for me to get advertisements for hearing aids and retirement seminars.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Digit wrote:I just found lulu.com and started a book project and got myself an ISBN number. I'm going to write a math textbook the way I always thought one should have been written and buy a copy just so I can hold in my hand a book written by [Digit] :) Who knows, after I put it on the Lulu marketplace and on Amazon (they can do that), maybe one other person in the world will actually find it and buy it too. I doubt that, but the part about me having my own book pleases me.
sounds cool! tell me when you publish it, I am always interested in experimental or awesome textbooks.
Portia

Post by Portia »

World Series game six went from one of the most excruciatingly ugly baseball games I've ever watched (did you SEE Freese drop that ball!? ^%&*!) to one of the most Hollywood-worthy, sheer awesome ones (did you SEE the look of pure joy on the guy who grabbed Freese's HR ball? %$$$@*!).

Journalists are prone to hyperbole, but it has been nearly a decade since I've seen sportswriters use the terms "best offensive performance/game/extra innings in WS history." Sorry BYU football, but I am SO tuning in to St. Louis tomorrow night!
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I dreamt I was auditoning for Divine Comedy and Mallory was giving me...well, writing prompts that I'd have to respond to in a funny way on stage immediately. So I guess they were impromptu prompts?
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Whistler wrote:
Digit wrote:I just found lulu.com and started a book project and got myself an ISBN number. I'm going to write a math textbook the way I always thought one should have been written and buy a copy just so I can hold in my hand a book written by [Digit] :) Who knows, after I put it on the Lulu marketplace and on Amazon (they can do that), maybe one other person in the world will actually find it and buy it too. I doubt that, but the part about me having my own book pleases me.
sounds cool! tell me when you publish it, I am always interested in experimental or awesome textbooks.
Me too! I want to buy your book!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Wow, two people other than me reading it would be amazing :)
I started a blog to track the book's progress. Probably most of the content will end up there by the time it's done anyways. I've got ideas about putting up supplemental material like interactive content on my Google sites site and detailed solutions of whatever end-of-chapter problems I make.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Congrats to Heartless Siren and CPM! Their healthy baby girl was born today!
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:Congrats to Heartless Siren and CPM! Their healthy baby girl was born today!
Whose hair color does she have?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Portia wrote:
Dragon Lady wrote:Congrats to Heartless Siren and CPM! Their healthy baby girl was born today!
Whose hair color does she have?
Umm… from the tiny bit I can see in pictures… his.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I don't like that this Texas judge is protected by statutes of limitations, even if it looks like the daughter doesn't want to see him prosecuted. The video evidence of him whipping her with a belt is not weakened by time, which weakening-by-time of evidence is what I thought the purpose of statutes of limitations was.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Digit wrote:...which weakening-by-time of evidence is what I thought the purpose of statutes of limitations was.
I always thought it had more to do with not dragging up something bad from forever ago, unless it was really, really bad (like murder, which has no statute of limitations).

Checking on Wikipedia, they give both as reasons: along with easier evidence when a crime is recent, they also say this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations wrote:While it may seem unfair to forbid prosecution of crimes that law enforcement can later prove to a standard required by law, the purpose of a statute of limitations or its equivalent is to ensure that the possibility of punishment for an act committed long ago cannot give rise to either a person's incarceration or the criminal justice system's activation.

In short, unless the crime is deemed exceptionally heinous – for example, murder, to which the statute does not generally apply – social justice as enacted through law says that lesser crimes from long ago are best left alone so as not to distract attention from more serious crimes....people want to get on with their lives and not have legal battles from their past come up unexpectedly. The injured party has a responsibility to quickly bring about charges so that the process can begin.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Laser Jock wrote:
Digit wrote:...which weakening-by-time of evidence is what I thought the purpose of statutes of limitations was.
I always thought it had more to do with not dragging up something bad from forever ago, unless it was really, really bad (like murder, which has no statute of limitations).
That's what I thought, too. Kind of like the Jean Valjean principle.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Looks like just last year Japan abolished its 25-year statute of limitations on murder.