Kids and Santa

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

stargirl

Re: Kids and Santa

Post by stargirl »

Whistler wrote: Not to rain on the parade but I think this is terribly cheesy... I guess I don't really get warm fuzzies from the ideal of Santa.
Yeah, i agree, it's pretty cheesy. :] But i don't think it's much cheesier than talking about the love of Christ or spirit service being within everyone, which is what Christmas is about anyway. I think talking about Santa can be a good segue into that.
"She was illusive. She was today. She was tomorrow. She was the faintest scent of a cactus flower, the flitting shadow of an elf owl."
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Last week I subbed in a pre-k class where one of the assistants repeatedly told the poor little four-year-olds that Santa was watching them through hidden cameras. What I think makes this extra sad is that a lot of these kids are really poor, and so might NOT be getting much of anything for Christmas. So they're gonna think they were bad. :(
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:Last week I subbed in a pre-k class where one of the assistants repeatedly told the poor little four-year-olds that Santa was watching them through hidden cameras. What I think makes this extra sad is that a lot of these kids are really poor, and so might NOT be getting much of anything for Christmas. So they're gonna think they were bad. :(
Eeeee, she should not be doing that for so many reasons. Is there anyone you can talk to about it?
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Emiliana wrote:Last week I subbed in a pre-k class where one of the assistants repeatedly told the poor little four-year-olds that Santa was watching them through hidden cameras. What I think makes this extra sad is that a lot of these kids are really poor, and so might NOT be getting much of anything for Christmas. So they're gonna think they were bad. :(
That is really sad. I don't think Santa should ever be used as a threat. And should definitely only be used with tact with other people's kids.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Well, that article was disingenious to the creation of santa; the concept is less than a hundred years old, in all reality.

And while talking about and teaching santa can be a segue into talking about Christ or human kindness, why do we need a segue?
Deus ab veritas
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Yeah. I've given up using Santa as a historical figure. He can just be a mythical being like the tooth fairy or easter bunny.

And she said he can be a good segue. Not that he has to be. I think there should be lots and lots of segues in life to talk about Christ and human kindness. If Santa is the only one, there's a problem. But I don't see anything wrong with someone using Santa as one segue.