Girl Scout cookies

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
TheAnswerIs42

Girl Scout cookies

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

In the "questions almost asked" category, today I nearly asked "how has the change in the price of girl scout cookies compared to inflation?". They seem much more expensive than I remember. But after a cursory google search, it turns out the price is entirely unregulated. Not only does each council select their own price, they pick their own supplier. Right now two different companies make them, and they don't make the same varieties or call them the same name. They both use the Thin Mints name, but every other name is different, and they don't have to use the same recipe.

This actually lines up with my memories. I went to a different school than my neighborhood, so I was in a different troop. And one year I not only got my order form a week ahead of that troop, but we were charging $2 and they upped it to $2.50.

I sold a lot of cookies that year.

I still wish I knew the answer to my original question though. $2 in 1990 is cheaper than $3.50 now, right? I guess those are my only two data points.
wired

Re: Girl Scout cookies

Post by wired »

Brilliant. Thanks for posting this.

What is the alternative name for Somaos?
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Caramel deLites.

The only required three are Thin Mints, Trefoils and Do-si-dos. The rest is up to the bakery. Which is odd, because Samoas and Tagalongs both sell more than the Trefoils and Do-Si-Dos.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

weeird. In my memory, cookies were very expensive. Like, I remember them being $6 a box (back in... '94?). I'm pretty sure my memory is wrong though, because I actually sold a few boxes.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I was a girl scout once, and I don't remember cookies ever being more than $3 or maybe $3.5 a box. And I do remember when they were upped from $2 to $2.5. We were sad.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.