Desktop Backgrounds

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Indefinite Integral

Desktop Backgrounds

Post by Indefinite Integral »

link

This question has gotten me curious. What are YOUR desktop backgrounds like? What do you think they say about you?

I'll go first. My desktop background is a picture I took of the Colosseum when I was in Rome. I like it because it is not terribly obtrusive, and it reminds me just how much I loved AP art history in high school.

It is also characteristic of they way I like to take pictures of big buildings or landmarks. I stand close and get a picture looking up at just how big it is. Maybe it has something to do with how I enjoy feeling short, since that doesn't happen to me very often.

I think I attached the desktop picture correctly. We'll see.
Desktop.png
Desktop.png (251.61 KiB) Viewed 14338 times
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Defy V

Re: Desktop Backgrounds

Post by Defy V »

These days I'm just using default nature pictures which change about every 20 minutes.

Back in the day, I used to be creative with desktop backgrounds. I'd take the standard pictures of Stonehenge or of tulips or of an island and then go into MS Paint and mess with them. Like, I painted someone sleeping on Stonehenge, painted someone sinking next to the island, and made it look like the sand dune was sneezing. (I'm not an artist by any means, but when you're 13 years old you can get pretty creative.)

Funny thing was, I didn't actually know where to find the pictures, so I would just use print screen and edit from there. But that meant all the icons had to stay in the same place as when the background was printscreened or it would look weird.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Defy V wrote:Funny thing was, I didn't actually know where to find the pictures, so I would just use print screen and edit from there. But that meant all the icons had to stay in the same place as when the background was printscreened or it would look weird.
There's actually a prank you can pull in which you take a screenshot of someone's desktop, set it as their background, delete all the icons and hide the start menu, and then watch their confusion as nothing opens when they click on it.

I have a brand-new laptop that I have turned on exactly once. Now I'm going to think waaaaaaaaaay too much about what I should put as the background...
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

My last computer I would generally use pictures from my photographer friend (especially the ones she took especially for me). She had a really nice picture of a pine tree I'd use every winter (and sometimes into spring, when I wasn't paying attention). I still have that computer, but ... not here. Here I have a computer I tend to keep pretty generic with just Windows 7 themes. (Nature ones.)

I did find this awesome picture of a desktop background I had for a while back in 2007...

Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

C is for wrote:I did find this awesome picture of a desktop background I had for a while back in 2007...

Haha, love it!
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Tiny picture is tiny.
Deus ab veritas
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Mine is my nephew in his bed with the cat and his mom's iPad. He's watching my brother's ship go through the Panama Canal on the iPad, but you can't actually see that in the picture.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

This is my grandma. (She's been a Jazz fan for a long, long time.) It's my desktop because I love it. Look how happy she is!
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I love flowers. Yellow doesn't love buying me flowers. So instead he will randomly take pictures of flowers and email them to me. My background rotates through those.
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Mine is pictures of my kids. Which means: I'm a SAHM so my kids pretty much take over my life currently.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I've never cared too much about my background; the way I use my computer means that it almost never gets seen. The only time I did set it I used the same picture that is my avatar.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

My main desktop rotates through some of my favorite photographs that I've taken, changing about every half hour. I like it, because I almost never have a chance to look at them otherwise.

My other desktops just rotate through the stock images.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

Mine is a field of bluebonnets, cause I love Texas and bluebonnets are awesome. But it's slightly pixelated, which makes it look like an impressionist painting.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Mine is this picture of the Titanic.

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en ... 24&bih=677
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

I usually get mine from computer games. Right now, it's this Nancy Drew wallpaper.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yeah I have video games wallpapers
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Defy V wrote:Funny thing was, I didn't actually know where to find the pictures, so I would just use print screen and edit from there. But that meant all the icons had to stay in the same place as when the background was printscreened or it would look weird.
HA.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

krebscout wrote:
HA.
I think I tried to hide the icons before printscreening and the result would be really pixelated. I have no clue why. It was a long time ago.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

Just wanted to share my new desktop image. :D

(I'm weird.)
Attachments
dict001.jpg
dict001.jpg (121.17 KiB) Viewed 13992 times
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Giovanni Schwartz