Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Zedability

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Zedability »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:
Zedability wrote:Have you read that thing on the Internet that references owning a Canadian?
Hence me asking why I can't own a Canadian.
...I'm only smart on Tuesdays, ok? Today is Wednesday and I get to say dumb things :)
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Ooh, can I claim that?

I had a friend who used to tell me that I was easy to confuse, but it was only fun on days that ended in 'y'. It took me three hours to figure that one out. I was also extremely tired that night.
Portia

Post by Portia »

My dad turned 44 today. Now that there could very well be 18-, 19-year-old female board writers (with their missionaries, #precious), I might not have the youngest parent here. Anyone beat me?
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Portia wrote:My dad turned 44 today. Now that there could very well be 18-, 19-year-old female board writers (with their missionaries, #precious), I might not have the youngest parent here. Anyone beat me?
My dad could be your dad's dad.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

I finally got a mouse for my laptop, after having been stuck with my touchpad for a full week. I just spent about a minute zooming around and clicking through all the different tabs on my browser and a bunch of other random stuff just to experience the improved speed. I'm not exaggerating.
Portia

Post by Portia »

yayfulness wrote:
Portia wrote:My dad turned 44 today. Now that there could very well be 18-, 19-year-old female board writers (with their missionaries, #precious), I might not have the youngest parent here. Anyone beat me?
My dad could be your dad's dad.
My boyfriend's grandpa turned 84 the same day mine turned 68. My friend from my teenage years (who graduated from the same high school, same year as the boyfriend, actually; they're four years older than me) has a 68-year mom born the same year as my grandma. O_o
Digit

Post by Digit »

I remember as a kid the first time I saw a case of a mother and daughter pregnant at the same time and the daughter was going to give birth first. I thought the concept of your uncle being younger than you was so strange. Of course now I'm aware that for every kind of familial permutation you can think of, it's probably happened somewhere.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

My mom's 40
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

My dad turned 44 when I was 6.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

My mom was 45 when my youngest sister was born. She was 28 when I was born. I think she's 52 now.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

yayfulness wrote:I finally got a mouse for my laptop, after having been stuck with my touchpad for a full week. I just spent about a minute zooming around and clicking through all the different tabs on my browser and a bunch of other random stuff just to experience the improved speed. I'm not exaggerating.
Huh. I actually prefer my trackpad to a mouse.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

I find that if I have a really good mouse, I do have more control than I do with a trackpad. However, I also think it depends on the computer. For me, it's Mac trackpad > PC mouse > PC trackpad > Mac mouse. But that also reflects how often I've used each of them, and how recently.
Craig Jessop
Pulchritudinous

Post by Craig Jessop »

Digit wrote:I remember as a kid the first time I saw a case of a mother and daughter pregnant at the same time and the daughter was going to give birth first. I thought the concept of your uncle being younger than you was so strange. Of course now I'm aware that for every kind of familial permutation you can think of, it's probably happened somewhere.
I'm my own grandpa... (total lie, but somebody had to say it)
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

"In conclusion, despite [potential new product]'s higher cost, it exhibits chemically superior behavior to [current product], in addition to not sharing [current product]'s pungent odour."

Translation: [current product] smells really bad, and the lab people want to get rid of it at all costs.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Portia wrote:My dad turned 44 today.
This makes me really curious, because aren't you somewhere in the neighborhood of 25? To some extent I can understand having a young mom, but a 19-year-old dad? What gives?
Portia

Post by Portia »

Genuine Article wrote:
Portia wrote:My dad turned 44 today.
This makes me really curious, because aren't you somewhere in the neighborhood of 25? To some extent I can understand having a young mom, but a 19-year-old dad? What gives?
I think this is something of a class thing*. I'm of a lower social class than probably most board writers and readers (BYU students in general). My mom had just turned 21 when I was born. My biological father was probably 22 or 23, because he had just graduated, so he'd be about 47 now. My (technically step-) father had just turned 21 when he married my mother, so yeah, 19 when I was born.

*and a "my parents were not so-called TBMs in the late '80s"
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I've had 5 good things happen to me in the last two weeks.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Katya wrote:I've had 5 good things happen to me in the last two weeks.
As in you've had exactly five good things happen to you and everything else has been bad, or you've had five things happen to you that are so exceptionally good that they overshadow all other good things?
Portia

Post by Portia »

I just applied for a job working in a lab again. Seeing "aliquoting samples" brought me joy. Knowing what is was and how to use it (say, a centrifuge) brought me more. I think I could actually stick around SLC if it works out! :D
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

yayfulness wrote:
Katya wrote:I've had 5 good things happen to me in the last two weeks.
As in you've had exactly five good things happen to you and everything else has been bad, or you've had five things happen to you that are so exceptionally good that they overshadow all other good things?
Five exceptionally good things in an unusually short space of time.