Google Chrome

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Yarjka

Google Chrome

Post by Yarjka »

Question #69091
When did everyone start using Google Chrome? I'm a Firefox user myself, but I thought that IE still had the largest share of internet users, followed by Firefox and then Chrome. Has Chrome really taken over?

I tried Chrome and actually liked it quite a bit, but my wife uses Chrome and it's easier to share a computer if we each have separate browsers we can personally customize, so I've stuck with Firefox, which I think I like better than Chrome anyway.
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Google Chrome

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I believe that IE still has the largest market share, but that Chrome and Firefox are more popular among tech savvy people. And I know for sure that sometime in the last two years, Chrome rocketed past Firefox's market share. I would also like to state that I used to use Chrome when its market share was below 2%
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

I use chrome because it seems to be faster than firefox on my computer.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

Oh ya: Blue is IE, Green is Chrome, Yellow is Firefox, and red is Opera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar ... b_browsers

According to this, Chrome is even ahead of IE now.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Sometimes I use Lynx via xterm when I'm in a minimalist mood.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

This graph is incredible. I had no idea Chrome had jumped up so quickly. Interesting to see Firefox staying steady through the shift.

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I'll be honest, the only reason I asked that question was because I wanted to brag that Adobe Illustrator is currently one of my most used programs. And now I have accomplished that.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Katya wrote:I'll be honest, the only reason I asked that question was because I wanted to brag that Adobe Illustrator is currently one of my most used programs. And now I have accomplished that.
Nice.

What do you use it for?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:
Katya wrote:I'll be honest, the only reason I asked that question was because I wanted to brag that Adobe Illustrator is currently one of my most used programs. And now I have accomplished that.
Nice.

What do you use it for?
I'm on a library committee that makes posters to advertise services and events. I had to make four posters in the last month, so I've been working in Illustrator several times a week.

Here's one poster that I made (although I put a lot more work into this one than most):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

I love Chrome because if I sign into it on a different computer it remembers my bookmarks.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Katya wrote:
Emiliana wrote:
Nice.

What do you use it for?
I'm on a library committee that makes posters to advertise services and events. I had to make four posters in the last month, so I've been working in Illustrator several times a week.

Here's one poster that I made (although I put a lot more work into this one than most):

Ooh, I like it.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Katya wrote:
Emiliana wrote:
Nice.

What do you use it for?

Ooh, I also work in a library and wouldn't mind knowing how to make snazzy posters. Is there a tutorial or something you could recommend for me?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Yarjka wrote:Ooh, I also work in a library and wouldn't mind knowing how to make snazzy posters. Is there a tutorial or something you could recommend for me?
I was already familiar with Photoshop before I tried to learn Illustrator, so that helped with the basic Adobe learning curve (which is very steep). Beyond that, I worked through a few chapters of Adobe Illustrator CS2, which is part of Adobe's Classroom in a Book series. (They've presumably got a newer edition out, now that we're up to CS5.)

I haven't learned to do a lot of fancy vector stuff in Illustrator yet; I mostly find one dynamic image I like, work with it in Photoshop, then import it to Illustrator and do the type there. (The biggest discovery I've made in the last year is that Photoshop's dry brush filter is incredibly useful when trying to size up an image. Resize the image in Photoshop (to where it looks pixellated), then apply the dry brush filter and suddenly it looks sort of impressionistic instead of pixellated.)
Digit

Post by Digit »

I found something that works for can't-afford-Adobe-software me when I have a small .png or .jpg that I want to size up. I go to this site, which will convert .pngs or .jpgs into EPS or PDF format using its rast2vec algorithm, I choose PDF, open the PDF in Acrobat, and can now magically zoom in with the now-vectorized image not getting pixelated. When it's as big as I want it, I take a screen shot and copy it back into GIMP.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Katya wrote:
Yarjka wrote:Ooh, I also work in a library and wouldn't mind knowing how to make snazzy posters. Is there a tutorial or something you could recommend for me?
I was already familiar with Photoshop before I tried to learn Illustrator, so that helped with the basic Adobe learning curve (which is very steep). Beyond that, I worked through a few chapters of Adobe Illustrator CS2, which is part of Adobe's Classroom in a Book series. (They've presumably got a newer edition out, now that we're up to CS5.)

I haven't learned to do a lot of fancy vector stuff in Illustrator yet; I mostly find one dynamic image I like, work with it in Photoshop, then import it to Illustrator and do the type there. (The biggest discovery I've made in the last year is that Photoshop's dry brush filter is incredibly useful when trying to size up an image. Resize the image in Photoshop (to where it looks pixellated), then apply the dry brush filter and suddenly it looks sort of impressionistic instead of pixellated.)
Thanks for the info. I'll keep playing around with Photoshop for now.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Yarjka wrote:Question #69091
When did everyone start using Google Chrome? I'm a Firefox user myself, but I thought that IE still had the largest share of internet users, followed by Firefox and then Chrome. Has Chrome really taken over?

I tried Chrome and actually liked it quite a bit, but my wife uses Chrome and it's easier to share a computer if we each have separate browsers we can personally customize, so I've stuck with Firefox, which I think I like better than Chrome anyway.
You can actually have two totally different profiles with Chrome. That is, all browser history, which websites you're logged into, your personal settings, bookmarks, and plugins are all completely separate. So if you want to both use Chrome, you can, with no hassle.

To set up a new profile, go to [wrench icon] -> settings, and under the "Users" section click "Add new user." Then you can each have your own profile running at the same time. I do this to keep my work-related stuff separate from my personal stuff (e.g., I can be logged into my personal Gmail and my work Gmail at the same time), and it works nicely for me. (For more information, the official help page for multiple profiles is here.)

(Obviously if you like Firefox better, that's fine, but if juggling multiple people's preferences is the issue, they have a nice solution. :) )

Firefox also appears to have something similar, though I've never used it. (Internet Explorer and Safari do not support multiple profiles as far as I can tell.)
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

Laser Jock wrote:
Yarjka wrote:Question #69091

You can actually have two totally different profiles with Chrome. That is, all browser history, which websites you're logged into, your personal settings, bookmarks, and plugins are all completely separate. So if you want to both use Chrome, you can, with no hassle.
Helpful information, thanks. I'll look into it.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Firefox does have something similar. That way I can always have both my personal email and my work email up at the same time. : )
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.