Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Marduk »

Whistler wrote:I'm not sure why everyone is afraid of Texas secceding. I'm ignorant: why is it such a big deal? If that's what most of the people in Texas want why not let them go?
Civil war, anyone?
Deus ab veritas
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Because then we'd have to redesign the flag! Duh! We can't let that happen!
Not if Puerto Rico becomes a state at the same time.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

There's also the issue that there's no way of knowing how many of the people signing the petitions are actually from the state named in it. I strongly suspect that the people who signed it are made up of a mix of residents who agree, residents of other states who agree, residents of other states who are thinking "Good riddance!", and various random trolls / people from other countries.

Also, I don't think even the people who are signing the petitions in more or less good faith really mean it. It's just a fun/funny way to express their frustration.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Prepare yourselves for a Portia/Hobbes reunion, folks. Now that I'm seeing one of his writer group friends, it's only a matter of time. considering the Board Identity happened last time we were in cahoots, I predict great things. (Wonders who here is so young they don't know this Hobbes whereof I speak...)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

pretty sure every time I mention the Board to Hobbes he's like "ugh those elitists"
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:pretty sure every time I mention the Board to Hobbes he's like "ugh those elitists"
Haha, I will accept the title of élitist. And I guess you would have occasion to see him! Haha.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

So I'm sitting here wondering why I feel like I haven't had a question answered in forever, despite asking some when I checked andrealized that I do indeed have 4, all about 72+ hours over. I love that busy time of the semester.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Yeah, the inbox has 50 overdue questions right now.
Giovanni Schwartz

Let's blame it all on Yog。
Digit

Post by Digit »

Hostess is shutting down. Not just bankruptcy court shuffle where the product is still there, actually shutting down. Twinkies and Wonder Bread lovers get it while you can :)
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Digit wrote:Hostess is shutting down. Not just bankruptcy court shuffle where the product is still there, actually shutting down. Twinkies and Wonder Bread lovers get it while you can :)
At first I was seriously worried about Genuine, but then I remembered Little Debbie's and Hostess are not the same. Phew!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha. This dude's pretty emotional about it. Is that the standard accent in upper MI? Hoooastess
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Giovanni Schwartz

Speaking of awesome accents, we just had to do a play in Chinese class, and I was a woman with an AWESOME Taiwanese accent. The whole class was busting up laughing.
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

Digit wrote:Ha. This dude's pretty emotional about it. Is that the standard accent in upper MI? Hoooastess
That sort of reminds me of a mock-Swedish accent I've heard in cartoons. Who settled upper Michigan?
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

UffishThought wrote:
Digit wrote:Hostess is shutting down. Not just bankruptcy court shuffle where the product is still there, actually shutting down. Twinkies and Wonder Bread lovers get it while you can :)
At first I was seriously worried about Genuine, but then I remembered Little Debbie's and Hostess are not the same. Phew!
If Little Debbie went out of business I...I think I'd cry. Then I'd start stockpiling OCPs, swiss cake rolls, and star crunches.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Waffle truck. Bijou market. Free Late Victorian mansion tours. Quality theater productions under 10 dollars. Hot single guys. Provo, I unambiguously love you. The swath from Draper to Orem is still an exurban sprawling postapocalyptic mess, but Provo is still its charming, walkable, college-town self.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I am awake so much later than my bedtime, chatting with an old friend about his father passing away. The poor man can't eat or sleep, feels like he can't talk to anyone. How do I help someone help themselves?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

krebscout wrote:I am awake so much later than my bedtime, chatting with an old friend about his father passing away. The poor man can't eat or sleep, feels like he can't talk to anyone. How do I help someone help themselves?
For now, it sounds like you just listen.
Giovanni Schwartz

Checked in on the blog I abandoned as of two weeks before my mission (And decided to start back up, tentatively). One of my posts got over TWO THOUSAND hits in the last 2 and a half years. Seriously. How is that even possible? And then a couple more came up with a couple hundred. I stalked (can you stalk yourself?) my Google Analytics, and it turns out that they were all searching for pictures of Disney Princesses. Which, as a result, means that everyone knows that at one point I thought Mulan was the hottest Disney princess.
Eirene
Board Writer

Post by Eirene »

On goodreads, every time I post a positive review or give a high rating to a book with any mature content, I always envision my goodreads friends (most of whom are nice Church ladies in my book club and old BYU friends) saying, "Professor, she advocates DIRTY BOOKS!"