An idea that will revolutionize your marriage

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

An idea that will revolutionize your marriage

Post by Emiliana »

Re: Yog's answer on https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70094/

You can still curl up in all the covers after you're married! It's not that hard!

Marx and I are both TERRIBLE cover-hogs. (I blame it on having to fight with my sister over the covers when we stayed at our grandparents' growing up; I don't know what his excuse is.) Shortly after we moved in together, we started using two different sets of covers. There's a sheet on his side and a sheet on mine. A blanket or two on his side, a banket or two on mine. Now we don't have to fight over the covers.

I don't know why no one does this, because it's seriously the best idea ever.
krebscout

Re: An idea that will revolutionize your marriage

Post by krebscout »

We do.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Ditto. We each have our own top-sheet and several quilts.
wired

Post by wired »

What's next? Separate cars? Separate bank accounts?! You might as well all consider yourselves divorced as is.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I've often thought that it might be a good idea to have separate beds. Maybe not all the time, but if one if you is a night owl and the other frequently has early work it might be a good idea to sleep apart sometimes.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Sometimes sleeping in the same bed just feels like an adorable, not-always-sensible tradition to me. Like trick-or-treating. It's a sleepover every night!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

This reminds me - I do a LOT of the things on those "when you're single!" lists the writers made. As for blankets specifically, every month or so I end up using my own separate blanket cause I'm tired of sharing. Do that for a few weeks, then go back to using the same blanket. It's nice to change things up :P
Genuine Article
Board Writer

wired wrote:What's next? Separate cars? Separate bank accounts?! You might as well all consider yourselves divorced as is.
Hee hee. We have separate bank accounts too. Looks like we're headed for splitsville!
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:I've often thought that it might be a good idea to have separate beds. Maybe not all the time, but if one if you is a night owl and the other frequently has early work it might be a good idea to sleep apart sometimes.
I worried about this a little when I went back to work in August, because I have to leave by 7:30 most mornings and sometimes Marx stays up until 2 or 3. But it hasn't been a problem; often we don't even notice when the other lies down or gets up. (Also, how could we have so many hilarious half-baked conversations if we didn't share a bed?) I can see how it wouldn't be good for people who are lighter sleepers, though.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Also, good on all of you who also don't share covers.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

My husband is now referring to our blankets as gateway covers. First it's separate blankets, then separate vacations, and before you know it you're living in separate houses!
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Huh. None of that bothers me. My husband stays up late every night, I wake up early with the kids, and we steal covers and pillows on accident all the time. In fact, we were just laughing about that today. I love snuggling with him in bed, and we have no problem poking each other if someone is snoring and needs to roll over, or yanking out stolen covers or pillows. In fact, we both dislike it when our hotels have king beds, because we are too far apart. We travel all the time, and are both fairly messy people. I can't think of anything I miss about being single, to be honest.

But I also see nothing wrong with separate vacations, occasionally. My husband has some friends that love mountain biking in Moab, an activity I wouldn't touch if you bribed me. So I think it is great that he gets to go do that with his friends. And once in a while, I get a girls trip with my friends and we just shop and play all weekend.

And as for kids, baby time is hard, but once they are old enough to be babysat and left at Grandma's for a trip, big vacations are possible again. Every stage is challenging in its own way, but toddlerness is the worst for traveling. We just got back from Disneyland, and while Pizza boy and Shy girl had a glorious time, baby Jasmine was less than pleased. But soon she'll be a big girl and we can all have a blast together.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

42, yes. Everyone else - I second 42. :) Just saying.
wired

Post by wired »

TheAnswerIs42 wrote: I can't think of anything I miss about being single, to be honest.
This. Over and over again, this.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

My wife and I currently have separate beds, separate houses, and completely separate lives. In fact, most of the time we don't see each other. Ever.

Go figure, right?
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

wired wrote:
TheAnswerIs42 wrote: I can't think of anything I miss about being single, to be honest.
This. Over and over again, this.
Amen! The only things I really miss are from my pre-kid days, and they involve sleep. And leaving the house with just a purse, instead of a huge bag loaded with all the things.
Portia

Post by Portia »

It took me a FULL WEEK to recover from the sleep interruption of staying with a friend who has an eleven-month old. Unlike many here, I have next to no experience with babies. Sleeping with anyone around is more difficult. Cuddling is nice, I suppose.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

my husband really loves that we share a bed
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:my husband really loves that we share a bed
Do you?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

early in our marriage, I was whining that I missed having my own room, and he felt really miffed. So I think I need more alone time than he does.