Is that 囘 for 回 a Taiwanese variation?
Giovanni Schwartz

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

No, it's just a typo.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Oh, sorry to point it out then! I have a pop-up dictionary so I can hover over a word and see the definition and apparently that *is* a legit variation, but not in this case. :)
Giovanni Schwartz

Yeah... Gotta love Microsoft. And not proofreading. ^_^

My favorite Chinese thing ever is 3Q. Say it in Chinese.
Digit

Post by Digit »

I thought someone here took that free online MIT computer science course. Was it good? Did you get your certificate in the mail?
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I started the MIT programming class. It was... kind of intense. I was able to make it through the first three weeks with my husband Acius's help. Then I got sick and I missed an exam and there was no catching up. Acius said it looked a lot like one of the weeder courses he tested out of. I was also really frustrated with the material, because they would quiz you on stuff not in the lecture and be like "this is for big kids in college and you can look stuff up on the internet" and I was like "actually, online courses should be different from a regular college course for a number of reasons!"

If I try learning programming again, I might go with a course from the khan academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/cs).
Portia

Post by Portia »

I feel like Zedability could be my personal Manti Te'o's girlfriend. She left for latitudes north before I ever got to meet her in Provo, and yet I talk to her quite frequently and think she is cool. Is she real? A figment of my overactive imagination? Prove you're real!
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Portia, we're all figments of your imagination. I'm as real as the rest of them.

To quote Dumbledore: "Of course this is all happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?"
TheAnswerIs42

Post by TheAnswerIs42 »

Most of the time I prefer you guys all imaginary. I met a few of you once, and I would probably do it again once or twice, but . . . having internet, imaginary people is fun.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

I have had three friends in long-term relationships break up (or separate) in the last four months. My heart is hurting.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Being a busy woman in post-racial America is hard: http://ca.screen.yahoo.com/sketchy-birt ... 00287.html
Digit

Post by Digit »

Whistler wrote:I started the MIT programming class. It was... kind of intense. I was able to make it through the first three weeks with my husband Acius's help. Then I got sick and I missed an exam and there was no catching up. Acius said it looked a lot like one of the weeder courses he tested out of. I was also really frustrated with the material, because they would quiz you on stuff not in the lecture and be like "this is for big kids in college and you can look stuff up on the internet" and I was like "actually, online courses should be different from a regular college course for a number of reasons!"

If I try learning programming again, I might go with a course from the khan academy (https://www.khanacademy.org/cs).
It's extremely impressive how many educational videos on how many subjects Salman Khan has made. I'm making a blog as I follow along through Oracle's Java tutorials.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Trolled! Saw a job posting for a teacher in Clark County. "Hmm," thought I, "I dated a guy from Vancouver, WA, and visited many a time. Nice area. Could shop in Portland sales-tax-free."

Clicked it, and it's in friggin' VEGAS. The city I begged my best friend not to move to. (She stayed in Provo, to everyone's joy.)

Sad times.
coastal goddess liberal
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Apparently the little "J" next to the file name means that the contents are in Japanese. Welp, live and learn.
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Ooo... I always impressed people in Taiwan by being able to translate the Japanese Book of Mormon to Chinese for them (roughly, anyways). There are enough kanji on each page for me to know the general idea of where we were in the Book of Mormon, and then enough Kanji in each verse to realize what it was saying. Quite the party trick for those that had a Japanese Book of Mormon, if you ask me.
Giovanni Schwartz

If you were to have a Chinese New Year Party, how would you celebrate?
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Make dumplings, obviously. Everything else is just noise, but dumplings are necessary.
Giovanni Schwartz

Well, duh. I'm also making vegetables of all sorts, maybe some pork chops, fried rice, etc.

If you didn't know anything about Chinese culture except stereotypes, what would you expect if you went to a Chinese New Year party? (That means everyone can answer. Not just Mico. [ =)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Fortune cookies, dragons, fireworks and the color red.