Buying Bras

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Buying Bras

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/71846/

The answers given are already great, but I, like habiba, am now very passionate about correct bra sizing and have to throw my voice in there.

My sister and I went into VS one day, mostly to drag Marduk through the store for fun, but ended up getting fitted. The fitter tried to convince me that their 36DD, the biggest size they carried, was a proper fit - maybe a DDD would fit me better, but the DD fit well enough, so why not buy one? It was fine that I was spilling out over the top and that the band didn't touch skin in the front!

I (thankfully) did not listen to her and a couple of months later made my way up to Nordstrom in Salt Lake (on a fun day trip with Black Sheep and St. Seb, who are also passionate about properly fitting bras). The fitter there glanced at me, took a couple of measurements to be sure, and brought me a 32H that fit perfectly.

DO NOT GO TO VICTORIA'S SECRET. They are no good.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Re: Buying Bras

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, anytime you go into a store and try to buy bras but they don't have your size and they try to tell you that something is a "sister size," run for your life. There is no such thing as a sister size! You're trying to fit two different dimensions, and increasing the band size while decreasing the cup size may give you something that you can put on and do up in the back, but it won't give you any support. It's like saying, "Well, you're really tall, and all the pants we sell are too short for you, but maybe if you buy a bigger waist size they'll sort of hang down a bit and it'll be like kind of like having longer pants." So many women are wearing bras with cups that are too small and bands that are too big, and that's why your back hurts and your boobs are sagging. I wear a 36I (and I buy my bras online from England). Before I figured out what size I actually was, I had had "fittings" at department stores and Lane Bryant where they tried to tell me that I was a 42DD, because they sold bras in that size but not the size I actually was. And I ended up with bras that made my back hurt and that my boobs popped out of all day long. Seriously, unless your breasts are incredibly large, you should be able to find a bra that gives you support without causing back pain. If your back hurts it's probably because your bra doesn't fit, not because you are too big. I'm pretty big and I am back pain-free.

I am also very passionate about bra fitting, in case you couldn't tell. :)
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

Okay, wait. So the recommendations of good places to get fitted include Nordstroms in SLC? That's worth knowing, thanks.
The Happy Medium

Post by The Happy Medium »

Does anyone have recommendations for places in Provo? I haven't had too much trouble with finding a good bra because I'm only about a B, but I still feel like I should get a professional fitting just to be sure.
Yarjka

Post by Yarjka »

My wife used to work at Victoria's Secret and did lots of bra fittings. True story.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I don't understand why you need a professional fitting... can't you just measure yourself?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I suppose you could. However, when you have as much to measure as I do, it gets a little difficult. It's just easier to have someone else do it. Also buying online can be a hassle because different brands may fit you in different ways so lots of returning may need to take place, so if you're in a store anyway why not get fitted? As long as the fitter can be trusted, that is.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Violet

Post by Violet »

The Happy Medium, there used to be a little old woman who worked at JC Penney at Provo Towne. I don't know if she's there, but she was the one who told me I was a 32C and then again when I grew in different directions to 30DD. Neither size is particularly easy to find and she told me where to find them without overselling her products. That was probably 4 and 6 years ago.

Unfortunately my size only exists online (seriously--I did the Nordstrom thing and all trying to find a 30DD. The sales lady was great at trying to find me one with the smallest band--I even ordered from another store, but it didn't work out) and the fitting process isn't something I want to do with shipping costs. I did find one bra style that has a smaller band at VS. I've been wearing it since I was 16 and when they redesigned it I was terrified they'd make the band bigger. They didn't. I'm pretty sure I have 8 of the same bra.
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

The Happy Medium wrote:Does anyone have recommendations for places in Provo? I haven't had too much trouble with finding a good bra because I'm only about a B, but I still feel like I should get a professional fitting just to be sure.
I've actually had great luck at the VS in the Provo Riverwoods (down on University Ave). I've been fitted there twice - once for regular-size me and later for pregnant-super-chubby me. Both times I felt like the sizing was appropriate and I never had any issues with the fit/back problems/whatever. In fact, I think their sizing was spot-on. Maybe I got lucky or maybe my bra size is in the more average range, but I had good experiences both times.

So I guess there's one vote for VS.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

...I like Costco's.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with measuring yourself and then looking on a chart, it's just that it's a bit challenging for some of us. :)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Do I have a big ribcage if the 36Cs seem to fit me just fine?
Portia

Post by Portia »

After reading various articles, I think that I am probably actually a 32C or 32D. I will have to go shopping to add to my already-ridiculous collection; hahaha. I have probably been buying too large in the band (darn you, add-four rule!), but didn't get the fantastically large cup sizes so many have here. :P

I have a 34D that works fairly well. A 32 seems quite small, but that's what I measured under the bust.

ETA: if so many women really do need smaller band sizes and large cup sizes, WHY WOULDN'T THE CHAINS STOCK THEM? Wouldn't this only help their bottom line?
Integrating Editor

Post by Integrating Editor »

Does anyone know of a store in or around Provo where I could try on 28A or 28B bras? One of my biggest problems is that even when stores carry anything that small, they are pretty much useless for modesty purposes. (A cami with a shelf bra is actually more effective.) Even if I do end up ordering from specialty brands online, I'd like to actually try on properly fitting bras without having to return any that don't work well.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Check a department store? Or the kids section? Dillard's might be your best bet.
Integrating Editor

In the girls' section of most department stores, the selection is usually 30A through 36A, maybe with 32AA for good measure. Sometimes I think I might as well just go on wearing too big bras. At least they make me look a bit more adult.
Integrating Editor

I don't think I've ever tried Dillard's, so I'll have to check it out.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Integrating Editor wrote:Sometimes I think I might as well just go on wearing too big bras. At least they make me look a bit more adult.
I did this for a very long time.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I finally went and got fitted today! VS, because I'm at least familiar with it, and it's close. Also, bras are EXPENSIVE, whine. But now I know my size (or at least a good ballpark), and I'm feeling very brave and productive. And I'm going to have to get used to wearing bras that fit, instead of my old super-comfortable but also super-stretched out and falling apart old ones.