Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

S.A.M.

Re: Answers I liked

Post by S.A.M. »

Squirrel wrote:
S.A.M. wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72242/ - Well done, Owlet. I especially liked this:
Owlet wrote:Once in a while she would cross paths with a real monster of a question, fangs and all. Compassion was not required here, but sheer grit and determination. Every now and then she could hear the echoing clang of fellow writers battling overdue questions...

Yeah! It was really entertaining. She and Miss Fancybottom were fantastic!
Squirrel, this question to Owlet got me thinking about another question you submitted that seemed to be directed towards Owlet http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72210/ about probie time periods.

Where on the board were you snooping-uh, searching, to come up with your estimated probie time frames? If the archives, what questions did you form your conclusion from? Or, did someone give you access to other parts of the board? Are you and Owlet friends IRL?
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Board Question #72185

I had stuff typed up, and the forum went offline momentarily =P

I've been in a relationship where it hasn't work out. The guy I dated earlier in the semester has depression, as do I. His way of handling it was less focused on trying to improve and more focused on just ignoring the problem, which isn't a really great way to deal with it--at least, not in my opinion. I never really felt like I could depend on him to help with my depression; there's a distinct difference between merely empathizing with someone, and motivating them to change and become a better person. You have to both be willing to be on the same page about your situation, and both be willing to make an effort to improve, or it's not going to work out in the long term. Depression can divide a relationship or it can bring the people closer together--it all depends on how you handle depression.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Tally M. wrote:Board Question #72185

I had stuff typed up, and the forum went offline momentarily =P

I've been in a relationship where it hasn't work out. The guy I dated earlier in the semester has depression, as do I. His way of handling it was less focused on trying to improve and more focused on just ignoring the problem, which isn't a really great way to deal with it--at least, not in my opinion. I never really felt like I could depend on him to help with my depression; there's a distinct difference between merely empathizing with someone, and motivating them to change and become a better person. You have to both be willing to be on the same page about your situation, and both be willing to make an effort to improve, or it's not going to work out in the long term. Depression can divide a relationship or it can bring the people closer together--it all depends on how you handle depression.
I agree. There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer for how people will handle depression in a relationship, but it doesn't have to be a deal breaker.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

S.A.M. wrote:Squirrel, this question to Owlet got me thinking about another question you submitted that seemed to be directed towards Owlet http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72210/ about probie time periods.

Where on the board were you snooping-uh, searching, to come up with your estimated probie time frames? If the archives, what questions did you form your conclusion from? Or, did someone give you access to other parts of the board? Are you and Owlet friends IRL?
Sadly, Owlet and I are not friends IRL. It would be awesome to get to know her, though!

I didn't get any extra access to the Board, I looked up Owlet's first question date* ( the one about the apple jacks), and then averaged that date with the date that I got my app, because I remembered it was sometime in between that that I saw Owlet's name on one of the writer stats pages. Then I counted the weeks, and.. yeah- that's how I got it.

* I typed "Owlet" in the search bar, then ordered the questions from old to new.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Squirrel wrote:
S.A.M. wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72242/ - Well done, Owlet. I especially liked this:
Owlet wrote:Once in a while she would cross paths with a real monster of a question, fangs and all. Compassion was not required here, but sheer grit and determination. Every now and then she could hear the echoing clang of fellow writers battling overdue questions...

Yeah! It was really entertaining. She and Miss Fancybottom were fantastic!
Okay I'm finally reading it, very fun. :) I must admit, it is very impressive she managed to recite the Chinese alphabet backwards! Because, you know, what alphabet? :D Still love it.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Squirrel wrote:
S.A.M. wrote:Squirrel, this question to Owlet got me thinking about another question you submitted that seemed to be directed towards Owlet http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72210/ about probie time periods.

Sadly, Owlet and I are not friends IRL. It would be awesome to get to know her, though!

I didn't get any extra access to the Board, I looked up Owlet's first question date* ( the one about the apple jacks), and then averaged that date with the date that I got my app, because I remembered it was sometime in between that that I saw Owlet's name on one of the writer stats pages. Then I counted the weeks, and.. yeah- that's how I got it.

* I typed "Owlet" in the search bar, then ordered the questions from old to new.
Got that part. I'm more interested in how you came to the conclusion that the usual probie period was four-to six-weeks. You have impressive archive search skills!
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Oh! Sorry about that. I got it from 69336, but also somewhere else... I can't remember now! Darn. I'll post it later if I find it again. :-)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/71231/

I liked all of these answers, especially GA's "beard hairs" catchall phrase.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72319/ nice research on the Sparta question! Also, reading about it makes me want to try nude working out. Time to make sure all the blinds on my windows are working.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

I really liked 72328, about the tunnel worms. The answers were all really different, but oh, so entertaining!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72343/

I think all of the writers who answered this question knocked it out of the park. Good work.
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

Katya wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72343/

I think all of the writers who answered this question knocked it out of the park. Good work.
Agreed. Perhaps she should consider whether she is letting the boy know she wants to hold hands, kiss, snuggle or whatever. Could she make the first move?
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

When was the last time you broke out your seal of approval? Is that supposed to accompany every answer you like here, or is it just the wowey-zowie stuff?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Squirrel wrote:When was the last time you broke out your seal of approval? Is that supposed to accompany every answer you like here, or is it just the wowey-zowie stuff?
Oh, I forgot about it! (Plus, I feel a bit self conscious about adding it all the time, because I feel like the seal draws attention to me, when the point is to draw attention to the good answers.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

That question, although on the one hand I can see me jokingly saying "I dunno, seems a little gay to me," (joke! I'm not very P.C.), got me thinking about gendered expectations. Would a girl be suspected of being lesbian if she were more physically reserved? Probably not. Doesn't seem very fair to the men. Hmm ...
Portia

Post by Portia »

This question alarmed me, for personal reasons. Though I may soon be separated like this young couple, fortunately, neither of us will be broke college students, and if a year from now I haven't managed to visit my family/love interests in Utah at least over Christmas, then something will be seriously wrong.

Probability distributions and regression to the mean are sexy. Hooray!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

also, it's $6 to take frontrunner from Provo to Salt Lake, plus TRAX to the airport (not sure how much that ticket costs). And I hope to try it out on my next plane trip.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

The poor guy who asked 72382... He got the same answers that he'd looked at before he asked the question.... Aww.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Laser Jock's answer in this one made me think of some podcast I was listening to awhile ago. I want to say it was This American Life, but it could have been Radiolab.

Anyway, researchers somewhere in Massachusetts started doing this, but with men, likely taller than a certain tall-ish height, education levels, etc. because a research team member asked a question similar to 72385. Of course, it was a rough estimate because you don't really have percentages of tall people with PhD's or if there's any variation from the rest of the population, but it was depressing. They eventually came down to the point where they estimated there wasn't anyone for this researcher to date in the Boston area with the given limitations.

Of course the first time I heard it was after a relationship that seemed like it was going to be a forever thing ended in a not so great way. I had finally moved on enough to start to look around. Then I heard this story and I started doing the math. 5'8" or taller (Because after dating someone exactly my height I changed my views about dating shorter than me—sorry boys). Unmarried male seniors/grad students at BYU. Understanding of mental illness. Open to nuanced views in religion. Didn't know/wasn't connected to exbf. It was pretty disheartening.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Hey I know just such a dude. If you're open to guys who live in Los Angeles.