Reader nym hijacked!

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

S.A.M.

Reader nym hijacked!

Post by S.A.M. »

Haha, I've been board compromised! http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/72499/ is not my question, though it's not a bad question. How many of you have had your nym used by someone else? This is kinda funny happening now, because a few weeks ago my debit card was compromised at Schnucks, and some dude in Maryland was buying hard liquor and smokes with it.
C is for
um Administrator

Re: Reader nym hijacked!

Post by C is for »

No one ever hijacks my nym. Probably because it's too much work.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

C is for wrote:No one ever hijacks my nym. Probably because it's too much work.
Same. My 'nym identity is tied to my salutation as well, so it'd be super obvious if someone stole my 'nym.
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Sorry about that S.A.M., that's no fun.

I haven't been hijacked, but I have /kinda/ stolen a 'nym. Ardilla Feroz had been around for a while before I bothered to check Google translate, and The Amazing Squirrel Boy hails from the depths of the archives. It's kinda embarrassing when you realize that you /almost/ stole a 'nym, when you think it's rightfully yours.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Squirrel wrote:I haven't been hijacked, but I have /kinda/ stolen a 'nym. Ardilla Feroz had been around for a while before I bothered to check Google translate, and The Amazing Squirrel Boy hails from the depths of the archives. It's kinda embarrassing when you realize that you /almost/ stole a 'nym, when you think it's rightfully yours.
I wouldn't call that even slightly hijacking. No one is ever gonna be confused between the two. So you're good. :)
Indefinite Integral

Post by Indefinite Integral »

Someone else used my 'nym once, but it's a pretty common phrase and I'm not particularly well known, so I'm not surprised. I only use my 'nym maybe half the time when asking questions anyway.
"The pursuit of mathematics is a divine madness of the human spirit." ~ Alfred North Whitehead
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

No one has ever stolen my 'nym, but then again, last time I google searched every instance of "bobtheenchantedone" coming up anywhere was me. Not exactly a common name there.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I had mine hacked, but the editors (I believe?) e-mailed her and she said she just saw it somewhere and thought it was cute, she didn't mean it maliciously. It was kind of flattering, so I was okay with it -- even though she asked about high school prom and I'm a little old for that (o:
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

chillygator wrote:I had mine hacked, but the editors (I believe?) e-mailed her and she said she just saw it somewhere and thought it was cute, she didn't mean it maliciously. It was kind of flattering, so I was okay with it -- even though she asked about high school prom and I'm a little old for that (o:

Haha chillygator that's really more how I took the board impersonation, kind of like hey, cool, someone used the same nym as me! I don't have a copyright or anything on it. Now impersonating me to take money out of my bank account, that was not cool.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

For those of you here who have had your 'nyms used by someone other than yourself in the past year or so, could you please message me the question in which your 'nym was used? For those of you who use a consistent 'nym and have not had your 'nym hijacked, could you message me and say so? I'll explain my reasons to you in private.