Whistler

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Whistler »

any favorites?
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Well, the favorite book I've read in the last 6 days would have to be Rump: The True Story of Rumpelstiltskin. Though Sandwich with a Side of Romance comes ... close.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Finally watched Juno because someone said my sister was Juno. (No, my sister did not get pregnant as a teenager.)
It was my English professor. Apparently my way of speaking and writing was similar enough to Juno's that it reminded him of it. And there's still enough time for me to get pregnant as a teenager... *evil chuckle*
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

why one man felt that working on Bongard problems was unethical (some pictures NSFW) http://www.foundalis.com/soc/why_no_more_Bongard.html
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Whistler wrote:I looked at this book on Amazon since you mentioned it--is it about how suburbs are inefficient and made by the government?
What I've read so far has little to do with the government, or even efficiency. So far it's been about how developers and marketers have shaped the public views on domestic life, like the divinity and religious importance of female domesticity, or consumerism (single-family homes and large yards were encouraged as an economic booster and a "bulwark against Communism").
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

that sounds really interesting
Digit

Post by Digit »

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

This post on Hyperbole and a Half was an interesting read on what depression is like for the person going through it. But with pictures. (and some colorful language). Kind of eye opening, especially for people who want to "help" someone who's going through depression.
Violet

Post by Violet »

thatonemom wrote:This post on Hyperbole and a Half was an interesting read on what depression is like for the person going through it. But with pictures. (and some colorful language). Kind of eye opening, especially for people who want to "help" someone who's going through depression.
Hyperbole and a Half is one of my favorite blogs for the amount I relate to it. I think I was a little more isolated and my highs and lows weren't quite as extreme, but this is great. The dead fish analogy was pretty great.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Just watched the series finale of The Office. It wasn't super funny, but I liked it.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

thatonemom wrote:Just watched the series finale of The Office. It wasn't super funny, but I liked it.
I just watched it! I read somewhere earlier today, before watching it, that it was "saccharine." Now that I've seen it, I have to agree, but saccharine in all the best possible ways. It was a great ending. Though, I think Jim & Pam's relationship is still pretty... fairytale-esque, I was glad to see some realness at times there.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Watching my 3rd episode of Psych of the evening.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I'm watching Doctor Who with Jon Pertwee! He's one of my favorite classic Doctors. :)
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. -Joseph Chilton Pearce
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Whistler

Post by Whistler »

guess Mormons aren't the only ones who have problems with "sex makes you dirty"
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I'm reading Earth Unaware, an Ender's Game prequel. And I'm loving it.
Random
Squirrels and Goats

Post by Random »

I'm watching the Studio C sketches, since a bunch of my friends are raving fan children. It's good, but I still prefer Divine Comedy when it's live. Studio C has this... fake? feeling the whole time I'm watching it.
Violet

Post by Violet »

I agree with you there Random. I still prefer Divine Comedy to Studio C, but it's passable content when you're trying to come up with something not everyone has seen during a youtube party.

I just watched the entirety of the NBC series Hannibal. It's disgusting in terms of gore and there are far too many weak characters, but the relationships between the main characters and the manipulation and thought keep me watching.
Owlet
Board Writer

Post by Owlet »

Matt, Whitney, Mallory, Jason, etc. were the ones in Divine Comedy when I first attended a Divine Comedy show, so I like Studio C better because it feels more familiar. DC doesn't seem right without them. It has been a while since I've seen DC live, though.
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

I always preferred LOL to DC. Improv is just funnier to me, I guess.