Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
mic0

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by mic0 »

Portia wrote:
mic0 wrote:I just read this article about Russian Jews. Probably as a result of wondering about my own identity, I have lately been really interested in my husband's identity as "Jewish." It's confusing - yes, his mother is Jewish and his ancestors are Jewish, but he wasn't raised following kosher laws, or being religious in any way whatsoever. Yet, on the other hand, he loves Israel. So anyway, reading that article was enlightening (and the comments as well). If any of you all are interested in Russian culture and/or Jewish culture/history, then you might like the article.
I've long thought that the cultural transmission of Jewishness and Mormonness are not dissimilar.
I agree with you, but I'm not sure how this article showed that? Or are you just saying in general? What I find most interesting, and I think it has been discussed on this board before, is how active Mormons don't really consider Mormons who have left to be "Mormon" anymore, even though many who have left still feel that cultural connection. From what I've been learning lately, it seems that Jewish people are much more open to the idea that someone can be Jewish culturally and leave the religion/spirituality behind.

In other news, I watched my second Woody Allen movie today. The first was Midnight in Paris, which I watched because of a Board question and then loved; today was Manhattan. It was funny and weird and thoughtful; I really liked it.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

be sure to watch Love and Death!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Whistler wrote:be sure to watch Love and Death!
OK! :D I just read the description on IMDB and I'm already excited.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

mic0 wrote:
Portia wrote:
mic0 wrote:I just read this article about Russian Jews. Probably as a result of wondering about my own identity, I have lately been really interested in my husband's identity as "Jewish." It's confusing - yes, his mother is Jewish and his ancestors are Jewish, but he wasn't raised following kosher laws, or being religious in any way whatsoever. Yet, on the other hand, he loves Israel. So anyway, reading that article was enlightening (and the comments as well). If any of you all are interested in Russian culture and/or Jewish culture/history, then you might like the article.
I've long thought that the cultural transmission of Jewishness and Mormonness are not dissimilar.
I agree with you, but I'm not sure how this article showed that? Or are you just saying in general? What I find most interesting, and I think it has been discussed on this board before, is how active Mormons don't really consider Mormons who have left to be "Mormon" anymore, even though many who have left still feel that cultural connection. From what I've been learning lately, it seems that Jewish people are much more open to the idea that someone can be Jewish culturally and leave the religion/spirituality behind.
I imagine it helps to have a few thousand years headstart in terms of religious / cultural identity. Plus Mormons have always been really big about encouraging conversion (unlike Jews), which means that the bloodlines of the faithful aren't particularly homogeneous, so religious practice is going to be a more important marker of Mormonism than ethnicity or heritage. (Also, I think there's a very identifiable Jewish culture which is separate from Jewish observance, and I don't necessarily see the same thing in Mormons, except for people who were raised Mormon and still maintain some of the lifestyle practices, even if they don't believe any more. But I wouldn't expect that type of Mormon cultural practice to be transmitted across generations.)
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Really, really enjoyed it but, as usual with alternate history-esque genres, I wished I knew more about the original history before reading it so that I could appreciate what was historical and was changed.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

I just finished the second Ender's Game prequel, Earth Afire. I appreciate OSC's ability to make hard sci-fi approachable and thrilling. I'm a fangirl.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Katya wrote:I imagine it helps to have a few thousand years headstart in terms of religious / cultural identity. Plus Mormons have always been really big about encouraging conversion (unlike Jews), which means that the bloodlines of the faithful aren't particularly homogeneous, so religious practice is going to be a more important marker of Mormonism than ethnicity or heritage. (Also, I think there's a very identifiable Jewish culture which is separate from Jewish observance, and I don't necessarily see the same thing in Mormons, except for people who were raised Mormon and still maintain some of the lifestyle practices, even if they don't believe any more. But I wouldn't expect that type of Mormon cultural practice to be transmitted across generations.)
Good points, Katya.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

Katya wrote:Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

Really, really enjoyed it but, as usual with alternate history-esque genres, I wished I knew more about the original history before reading it so that I could appreciate what was historical and was changed.
I thought he had an afterword in that one explaining a little about the history and what he changed. Maybe it's just on the audiobook? It's a fun series, though.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

thatonemom wrote:
Katya wrote:Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

I thought he had an afterword in that one explaining a little about the history and what he changed. Maybe it's just on the audiobook? It's a fun series, though.
No, it's in the printed book too, but I wish I had known it beforehand. :)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I'm giving Feminist Mormon Housewives another try, and I'm feeling much better about it this time. I especially enjoyed this article: http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org ... ly-gender/
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

bob, what put you off it before?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

The first time I looked it up it out three things coincided: they had recently posted two or three fairly negative articles on polygamy, I was solidifying my own opinions on the subject, and I made an ass of myself trying to express those opinions on this forum. It wasn't meant to be.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Hah, we must accept things in their time! Maybe now is FMH's time. :P I liked it while I was still struggling with faith and the church, but now it is hard for me to relate to a lot of their articles. Sometimes I look it up just to see what people are thinking about.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Nice. Mini cloud computing system of 56 Raspberri Pis in LEGO racks. I wonder how those things are connected together...in a ring? Star? If star, what's at the hub? Never had a class about network architecture.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Someone from a fundamentalist Mormon group in Arizona is doing a Q&A on reddit right now, thought some of you all might like reading it.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I certainly found it interesting!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

I thought you, specifically, might! :D I really wish one of the people had answered the question from the Danish person.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

I just watched some baracksdubs on youtube, where the President "sings" everything from the Pokemon song to Daft Punk. Apparently it's been around a while, but it was new to me.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

thatonemom wrote:I just watched some baracksdubs on youtube, where the President "sings" everything from the Pokemon song to Daft Punk. Apparently it's been around a while, but it was new to me.
I always loved seeing these..
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Just finished watching Firefly and Serenity, and I have to say I loved 'em. That was a great show.