Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

Re: Happy Days in Random Chatter 10

Post by Portia »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:
UffishThought wrote:Ugh. I keep buying books. This is going to suck when it's time to move, next month. At least they're from a thrift store, right? 6 more regular books (three from series I'm working on completing!) one audio book (on cassette, but that's what cars are for) and two old-time radio show cassettes. (The Shadow!) This puts me up to 392 books, not counting cookbooks. And I'm going to Powell's in a week or two (AND I GET TO SEE GENUINE, WOO!) and I expect to come back with a metric crap-ton of books then, as well.
Wait, there are epic Board Writers in Portland? Or is there a Powell's elsewhere? Because I'm sort of tempted to be super fan-girl here, and beg to meet you. Also, I'm sad that I've never been to Powell's, so I need to go there sometime anyways.
If YOU live in Portland and have never been to Powell's, my mind was just blown.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

krebscout wrote:This has been a terrible, terrible week.
Well...the weather has been hot. But I suppose it is more than that. Sorry to hear it.
UffishThought

Post by UffishThought »

I don't believe there are board writers in Portland. (At least, any that I know personally.) But I'm road tripping up soon, and I'll see some on the way.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

SmurfBlueSnuggie wrote:
UffishThought wrote:Ugh. I keep buying books. This is going to suck when it's time to move, next month. At least they're from a thrift store, right? 6 more regular books (three from series I'm working on completing!) one audio book (on cassette, but that's what cars are for) and two old-time radio show cassettes. (The Shadow!) This puts me up to 392 books, not counting cookbooks. And I'm going to Powell's in a week or two (AND I GET TO SEE GENUINE, WOO!) and I expect to come back with a metric crap-ton of books then, as well.
Wait, there are epic Board Writers in Portland? Or is there a Powell's elsewhere? Because I'm sort of tempted to be super fan-girl here, and beg to meet you. Also, I'm sad that I've never been to Powell's, so I need to go there sometime anyways.
While I wouldn't presume to call myself epic, I'm originally from Portland and am up there visiting family at least once a month. SBS, if you're in Portland you should come to my baby shower on the 20th.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

krebscout wrote:This has been a terrible, terrible week.
Hugs!
Defy V

Post by Defy V »

One of my favorite songwriters lived less than 4 miles away from me this past year and I didn't even know it. And now she is moving and touring the world again. what.
krebscout

Post by krebscout »

Thanks for the sympathy, everybody! You guys are nice.
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Genuine Article wrote: While I wouldn't presume to call myself epic, I'm originally from Portland and am up there visiting family at least once a month. SBS, if you're in Portland you should come to my baby shower on the 20th.
You are epic, stop being so modest.

And I would accept the invitation, except I'm going to be flirting it up that weekend at the YSA conference. I'm from Vancouver, though, so it would be cool to meet up IRL and do something. :) I'll message you later.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

I have to go to Teacher School for the next three weeks. I am going to need LOTS of sticky notes to make paper cranes out of to keep my sanity.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

I got a job interview in NYC. I'm super excited. I don't know if I'd end up taking it, but I'm so pumped.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Portia

Post by Portia »

For the big three-oh, my family is getting my boyfriend a steak dinner, an ice cream pie, and a gift card to Indian food.

Does his only family like him this much? Does my family like me this much?!
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

My after-work, between 5-6:30 date did not include dinner. I knew he had a long drive ahead of him and didn't want to impose on his time more than he was willing, and he didn't bring it up. So. I'm eating now. Thank goodness for dinner group leftovers.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

OH MY GOODNESS.

So, my supervisor set me up with her younger brother-in-law. Last month. First date. Nothing clicked. Which was okay, cause I totally didn't need boy drama.

Fast forward.

I'm exclusively dating someone. The kid messages me on Facebook "Good evening."
"Hey."
"how are you tonight?"
"Decent."
"am I to assume decently good?"
"Yeah, just got back from playing Risk with my boyfriend and some coworkers."
"awesome did you win?"
"Yep."
"nice"

SO MUCH AWKWARD.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I feel like brothers-in-law are usually married. I guess your supervisor must be married, and it's her husband's unmarried brother? Because that seems random...
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Yeah, it's her husband's unmarried brother who was apparently in town after his mission and is with family until going back to school in the fall somewhere else.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

Wow, I ignore the Board for a couple months and everything's different. Welcome back, Vorpal! And congrats to everybody for everything that I most certainly did read and not just skim over... Okay, I skimmed a lot, but y'all have had plenty going on while I've been not here.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
C is for
um Administrator

Post by C is for »

Well, I for one have been wondering where you've been, so welcome back Dead Cat!
Squirrel
Board Writer

Post by Squirrel »

Yeah, nice to have you back Dead Cat!
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

Dead Cat wrote:Wow, I ignore the Board for a couple months and everything's different. Welcome back, Vorpal! And congrats to everybody for everything that I most certainly did read and not just skim over... Okay, I skimmed a lot, but y'all have had plenty going on while I've been not here.
Thank you! It is nice to feel welcome.

I suppose you have heard before the old saying, "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back?" So, I'm glad you are back after an absence of a couple of months.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Made a fool of myself at a ward dinner for new people at the (awesome!) bishop's. I was telling a story about an Asian family on the plane out here, where the mother was clearly scolding the adult son for running into my head with his airplane seat, and I actually said "they were speaking Asian.." and one of my better friends out here, a super attractive, intelligent Asian-American (who, of course, not only is in the ward but my coworker!) said, "um, yeah, because 'Asian' is totally a language ..."

Open foot, insert mouth. I think he's really cool and am kicking myself for coming across as both ditzy and possibly racist. UGH. Should I apologize? Let it blow over? He didn't seem offended or angry, just calling me out on my obvious dumbness.