I might have to audition in like a week HALP

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

I might have to audition in like a week HALP

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

So. I, as a previously casual and contemporary-trained singer, decided to go for a vocal performance major. I just found out today I have to audition to even take the beginning classes. I don't even know exactly what makes a piece "classical."

If any of you have suggestions for good classical pieces for a soprano, let me know! I have a 3-octave range (including some very high notes), good technical skill, excellent memorization skills, and one of the best accompanists on the planet. I can have one aria (... what is there besides arias?) and I need at least one piece in Italian, German, or French. The only classical solo piece I have previously practiced is "He Shall Feed His Flock" from... I think The Messiah? Man it's been a while.

Also, I may have to audition as soon as Aug. 8, and if anyone nearby can help me learn how to pronounce a piece in Italian, German, or French I will also need help with that.

...yep.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
C is for
um Administrator

Re: I might have to audition in like a week HALP

Post by C is for »

I have a lot of classical repertoire...at my house. Which I was just at and don't plan on going back to before your audition. But let me see if I can remember some.

"Love Has Eyes"
"O Mio Cuor"
"Se Tu Ma'ami"
"Early One Morning"
"My Johann"
"Come Again Sweet Love"

Argh it's hard to remember foreign titles. It might be easier if I'd been the one singing them but I am strictly piano-based when it comes to these things.
Imogen
Picky Interloper

Post by Imogen »

My FAAAAAAAAAAVORITE piece is "Il Mio Bel Foco/Quella Fiamma." Just gorgeous.
beautiful, dirty, rich
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I recommend the song "Caro Mi Bien." It's Italian, pretty short, pretty easy, and pretty pretty.

Or, if you want me to keep looking for more/making more suggestions, I would love to help, because that's kind of my *ahem* forte.

I can also help with pronunciations in Italian and German. My French is realllllllly iffy/bordering on bad, though. Although if you do go that route, Portia/Katya can help you.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm going over them.

Turns out I misread the email and I may be able to do a song in Spanish or Gaelic, which I already know/have help pronouncing, but I'll still look at another language as well. Also I'm planning to prepare extra songs anyway because I do actually have a few that are pretty much performance-worthy but I don't know if he'll count them as "classical."
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Turns out I misread the email and I may be able to do a song in Spanish or Gaelic, which I already know/have help pronouncing . . .
Oh, well everyone knows Gaelic. ;) (And yes, I am totally down to help out with French pronunciation, if needed.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm going over them.

Turns out I misread the email and I may be able to do a song in Spanish or Gaelic, which I already know/have help pronouncing, but I'll still look at another language as well. Also I'm planning to prepare extra songs anyway because I do actually have a few that are pretty much performance-worthy but I don't know if he'll count them as "classical."
Scottish? Irish? Breton?

(There is a Breton song, Am Pilhaoeur, that is my everything.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

He never got back to me on the other languages! I ended up going with an Italian piece anyway - Nella Fantasia. I almost did Caro Mio Ben as well, but decided that doing this audition in a week and a half was enough overachieving for now.

In case anyone is wondering, my practicing is going well. I had my first rehearsal with my accompanist yesterday and I'm feeling pretty confident. One week until audition!