Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Whistler

Re: Stuff we're reading / watching / listening to

Post by Whistler »

I watched the movie Possession and it seemed very much like some fantasy of what academic work is like, with soap-opera-like reveals and a really goofy leading man (Portia might like him though).
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

Have you tried the book version of Possession? It made it very clear that academic work isn't always particularly exciting.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

robotfish wrote:Have you tried the book version of Possession? It made it very clear that academic work isn't always particularly exciting.
Yeah, I haven't seen the movie but I've heard that it's much worse than the book (which I quite liked, but I wasn't necessarily reading it for the academic accuracy).
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I started reading the book a few years ago, but I didn't like it all that much. Then when I was a grad student I heard it was one of my professor's favorites. I watched the movie instead of reading the book ;;
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Whistler wrote:I started reading the book a few years ago, but I didn't like it all that much. Then when I was a grad student I heard it was one of my professor's favorites. I watched the movie instead of reading the book ;;
For shaaaame! ;) (But if you couldn't get into the book, then maybe it just wasn't the right story for you.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:I watched the movie Possession and it seemed very much like some fantasy of what academic work is like, with soap-opera-like reveals and a really goofy leading man (Portia might like him though).
Ha! What's his name?
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

This actor, Aaron Eckhart, totally reminds me of your boyfriend http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001173/?ref_=tt_cl_t2
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

or your ex-boyfriend? I'm not really sure
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:This actor, Aaron Eckhart, totally reminds me of your boyfriend http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001173/?ref_=tt_cl_t2
FINALLY YOU FOUND IT. It had been bugging me who he looks like. I knew it was someone. And we're still together. :D

Here are my boyfriends, in famous people.

#1 - Max Thierot
#2 - Rich Sommer
#3 - Sondre Lerche
#4 - Edward Norton
#5 - see above

<pats self on back>

ETA: Guy I never dated but caused drama circa Edward Norton is a dead ringer for George Peppard.
Portia

Post by Portia »

His response:
So i look like another BYU grad? I guess i'm just super typical. At least it's typically sexy!

Ex mormon. So very typical.
...I forgot that about Aaron Eckhardt! Do they make them in a factory?! You just can't find a strong jawed blond in these parts. LOL
Portia

Post by Portia »

Aaron is of German descent on his father's side, and has English, Scottish, German, and Northern Irish (Scots-Irish) ancestry on his mother's side
The magical combo! ;-)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

lol. And to get me back on topic... I read this month's issue of Scientific American: Mind and it was pretty okay!
Digit

Post by Digit »

Avenue Q songs. I like The Money Song and For Now.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Went to the theater to see The Saratov Approach. It was really good!
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

the super-heavy advertising of that movie around Conference kind of put me off it... also the title just seems so arrogant. But hearing you say that it was really good makes me think I should reconsider.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

What did you find arrogant about the title? (Also, I must have missed most of the Conference advertising. I just saw the sign up by University Mall and I watched the trailer on YouTube.)
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

After every session on BYU TV they showed an ad for it.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Marduk, Random, and I went to a live screening of Othello broadcast from the National Theatre last night. It was very good, especially because I'm used to going to a play and having to turn off my brain lest I just be critical the whole time.

We also convinced Marduk to watch Nightmare Before Christmas (he agreed to watch it with us once a year) and a short documentary on how beer is apparently the driving thrust behind most of humanity's inventions and major advancements.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Ha. Episode IV: A New Hope remade out of 15-second clips redone by Internet people. I laughed when Darth Vader was holding an infant princess Leia at 8:05 and then said "Take her away!"
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Katya wrote:What did you find arrogant about the title? (Also, I must have missed most of the Conference advertising. I just saw the sign up by University Mall and I watched the trailer on YouTube.)
I guess by naming it "The Saratov Approach," I thought they were trying to show some new hostage negotiation technique and name it after the person who invented it, when it really seemed like a lot of people were praying for them and it would be better to name it "the religious approach"?